Best Curry House

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Best Curry House

Postby glasgowdan » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:59 am

Both Little India and Cafe Noor down on Killy road are very good.
glasgowdan
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby My Kitten » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:39 am

Peekay wrote:
Not a sitty-in place but Danny Singhs in Shawlands does good stuff. They even, and I don't want to blow their trumpet too much, they even got a wee award from the Evening Times. Michelin who?
PK

I'll second that, good value too. One of the indians in killie road is good, cannae mind the name but the one with the fish tank inside.

Thanks for the heads up sharon, was going to try Saffron but thought it looked a bit dodgy with the blinds down all the time.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:16 pm

Cafe Noor is the one with the fishies
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:56 pm

cheesemonster wrote:Cafe Noor is the one with the fishies

Could ye no have just shouted that through to the kitchen or are you two no talkin'? :D

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:48 pm

Peekay wrote:

Could ye no have just shouted that through to the kitchen or are you two no talkin'? :D

PK

Less of that, you. It's a valuable service for those of us that have for years striven to remember the name of the Glasgow restaurant that has a fish tank.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:15 am

Peekay wrote:

PK

Kitchen, I'd have to give him a map first!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:24 pm

Josef wrote:
Peekay wrote:

PK

Less of that, you. It's a valuable service for those of us that have for years striven to remember the name of the Glasgow restaurant that has a fish tank.

And while I'm on that subject, the Anarkali on viccy rd is another decent Indian, which I believe has a fish tank...
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Aly » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:26 pm

My family and I really like the Gulistan in Auchinairn. It has been open for 32 years and my hubby has been eating there since it opened - not every night ::): but when we go out for a meal we usually go there. They do a lovely buffet for £7.95 from Sunday to Thursday - excellent food and excellent value for money
Aileen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mollysmum/
Aly
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby weegeordie » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:59 pm

deffo mr singhs but found out that ater eating a curry from his place it was hotter on the way out than it was in the way in that bad i had to put the toilet paper in the fridge!!
weegeordie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby b7ryn » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:39 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
myfriendstan wrote:Does anyone know when the new Balbir's at Charing Cross is opening?

I passed yesterday. It's still pretty much a shell.

Anyone know if this new Balbirs is opened yet or know when it is going to open?
chum laugh
b7ryn
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby marniemc » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:25 pm

The Shenaz behind the Mitchell Library without a doubt :D
marniemc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby br-cmr » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:45 pm

Personally, I don't think you can beat Mother India's for food at the moment... I was there a couple of times recently.

Food was excellent, but service less so - it was fine once we eventually got in, but... we had an 8.30 booking. Got a phone call that morning saying that the table wouldn't be ready until 9. Persuaded them to make it 8.45, but I got the feeling that perhasp they were just saying that to keep us happy... Turned up at 9. "table will be ready in 10 mins". 10 mins later "table will be ready in 10 mins.."

We suggested going for a beer and coming back in half an hour. The waiter was delighted. We said "ok, we'll do that, but it'll cost you a round of drinks when we get back." No problem.

Went across to the Ben Nevis for a pint. Very disappointing - beer was not very good.

Back to Mother India - food was fantastic. I guess theyr'e a victim of their own success - but squeezing in 2 sittings on a saturday night is not ideal...

Does anyone remember "Montys" in Dalry? This must be at least 15 years ago? I'm sure it was owned by Monir, who now owns Mother India..

We've also recently tried Balbir's Route 77. It's on the southbound A77, about half way between Kilmarnock and Ayr. It was very very good. Surprisingly busy. And it's certainly changed a lot from the days when it was a Little Chef...
br-cmr
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:39 am

br-cmr wrote: ....................
Went across to the Ben Nevis for a pint. Very disappointing - beer was not very good.

That's surprising to hear. What did you have? The Deuchars is usually excellent - better than the Chip or Babbity's.

I suppose, if pushed, I'd acknowledge there have been somen iffy days with some of the guest beers.

The Ben Nevis is still by far the best bar for miles in any direction.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lord lucan » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:27 pm

India Quay at broomielaw/finnieston..fantastic, or turban tandoori in giffnock, excellent food. I certainly miss the old crem de la crem in argyle street, loose tracksuits only
Still lucan for me
lord lucan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:50 pm

whereabouts in Giffnock? Was at Royal India in Newton Mearns the other week - nice place and quick service but curry was a bit tepid. New Anand off Pollokshaws Road is still the best ive come across buffetwise so far. It's nearly there with the old creme de la creme - i do miss the caulieflower pakora :(
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants