Best Curry House

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Best Curry House

Postby amyleroo » Sat May 16, 2009 6:54 pm

India Quay in Finnieston (foot of the squinty bridge) is my favourite for a buffet. Never eaten off the main menu, haven't needed to! Freshly topped up all the time. Caters for vegetarians (was actually given a choice!). The staff ar really friendly too.
amyleroo
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby dimairt » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:58 pm

We had a good meal at Chillies West End in Woodlands Rd on Saturday night. Popadoms and dips for starters, then Baingan fritters, tarka daal, garlic chilli chouza, seekh roti, nan and pilau rice all freshly made and served tapas style.
It doesn't serve alcohol so we had Salt Lassis. The service was very good and it was busy, so booking a table is advised.
The cost? £28.

Le durachd,
Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:24 am

Was at Thali on Albion Street a few weeks ago, pretty tasty and fun to put your meal together from the selection.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:39 am

Ally Doll, The Thali on Albion St was recommended to me on Friday by 2 different people! :)

I went to the Dhabba on Friday, which has been recommended by a number of people here. Some of my colleagues have been raving about it for ages so I finally went. Strangely though, all the women I've spoken to haven't enjoyed it as much as the men. There were 5 of us so we asked if we could have 5 starters shared between us, 3 of which looked identical and 3 of which arrived with 5 pieces on them, the smaller “cheeseballs” had more than 5 due to their size, but one of the dishes had a mere 4 pieces so had to be divvied up between 5. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't have bankrupted them to give us an extra one just to make up the numbers.

Despite being told by near enough everyone who's been to the Dhabba that they don't do Pakora because they only do “real Indian food” the chicken starter we had was actually deep fried and coated in a light pakora-like batter.

I opted for "chicken meatballs" for my main course, which could be served mild or medium but I wasn’t asked which I preferred. It consisted of 4 pieces of ball-shaped chicken in a creamy and mild sauce in a shallow dish. One of my colleagues went for the "hot" chicken option, which I tried and can say that it wasn't all that hot, in both senses of the word.

One starter, one main course with rice, a bottle of beer, a bit of roti and bit of naan worked out as £20 per person excluding tip. Contrast that to the meal I had at the Shish Mahal a few weeks earlier, which was cheaper, more filling and I was able to take a doggy bag home for the following night’s dinner!

Emperor's new clothes I think.
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Stan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:50 pm

I'm a big fan of Mother India, Shish mahal or whaterver it's called is pretty damn good as well. I haven't tried Mr Singhs, but I see they have 241 mains this month, so I might try it out this week.

There are a lot of bad curry places in Glasgow though.... I tend to stick to Mother India because most times I have tried somewhere new I have been dissapointed. Banna Leaf was a major dissapointment, they even managed to forget to put one of our dishes in the bag.... We didn't realise until we got to the park, we went and got our money back afterwards though. Tere curries were made with frozen mixed vegies, I swear.
Stan
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby hungryjoe » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:38 pm

flyman wrote:Minars take away on Duke Street does the best Tandoori mixed grill i've had in a long while and the Wallace tandoori (ok Wallace is a funny name for a tandoori) in Balornock has some nice dishes.I recently had a trawl through the "curry mile" in Manchester and sampled some of the delights on offer.I'm not a fan of sitting in i'm more of a get the old loose pants on and spread out when im eating fan meself :oops:

Maybe on Wallacewell Road?
I was in a nice wee place on Friday night. I can't remember the name. From the city side of Sauchiehall St., cross over the motorway and it's the first Indian on the left. Nice food and great service. Not posh mind, but Asian customers gave it the thumbs up for me. (Nae swally)
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:44 am

I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JumpingAtTheWoodside » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:43 pm

The Banana Leaf on Old Dumbarton Road.

Fantastic authentic South Indian food, really cheap, and they deliver!
JumpingAtTheWoodside
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:16 pm

JumpingAtTheWoodside wrote:The Banana Leaf on Old Dumbarton Road.

Fantastic authentic South Indian food, really cheap, and they deliver!

evidence please.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JumpingAtTheWoodside » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:58 pm

JumpingAtTheWoodside
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby rabmania » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:22 pm

Tiffin Rooms. Lovely grub, not the customary gheefest. Starter x1, main course x 2, kulfi x1, drinks X 2, coffees x2, £29. :)
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Kevboy73 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:25 pm

Can anyone recommend a curry house anywhere around town that does a good buffet on a Saturday night?
Kevboy73
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby hungryjoe » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:56 pm

Kevboy73 wrote:Can anyone recommend a curry house anywhere around town that does a good buffet on a Saturday night?

I've worked with quite a few chefs, and they all say the same thing. Don't eat out on a Saturday night.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Kevboy73 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:54 am

Okay... thanks for that but what are we supposed to do? Not eat? I have a bunch of guys I'm bringing over to sample some Glasgow hospitality. A buffet is the easiest and least formal option. I'm just looking for a great Indian buffet on a Saturday night somewhere around town.
Kevboy73
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:04 pm

Indian restaurants lay on buffet nights to fill the place on a quiet night. I'd wonder why they were running a buffet on a Saturday night. Crap cooking and a liberal attitude to stag nights maybe.

Check out the rest of this thread and pick the place that appeals to you.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants