Best Curry House

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Best Curry House

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:29 am

Kevboy73 wrote:Okay... thanks for that but what are we supposed to do? Not eat? I have a bunch of guys I'm bringing over to sample some Glasgow hospitality. A buffet is the easiest and least formal option. I'm just looking for a great Indian buffet on a Saturday night somewhere around town.

Bombay Blues does a buffet, it's pretty good.

http://www.arttohotel.com/restaurant/
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Andy1 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:33 pm

You can get some of the best Indian food in Glasgow at The Village Curry House at 127 Nelson Street, especially the cafe downstairs. But Oh Dear - the toilets! The management don't seem to realise that customers expect CLEAN toilets with hot water, soap and paper towels or a working hand dryer. They serve great food and it's amazing value for money but for goodness sake spend a few quid to civilise the toilets!
Andy1
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby micky_bhoy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:57 am

singhs kitchen cumbernauld road glasgow, got to be the best in town food is top notch very reasonable prices and staff are very friendly, delivery times fast also.
micky_bhoy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:05 am

micky_bhoy wrote:singhs kitchen cumbernauld road glasgow, got to be the best in town food is top notch very reasonable prices and staff are very friendly, delivery times fast also.

Next HG night out. Do they do spam fritters?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby TA_Ealing » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Was at Dining In opposite Kelvingrove the other night. Had the Simple Lamb Curry and it was fantastic. Highly recommended and pretty reasonable too.

They do a cracking deal too:

* 1 x Lamb Dish
* 1 x Chicken Dish
* 1 x Rice
* 1 x Nan
* 1 x Side of Vegetables
* 1 x Salad

for £8.50

Can't wait to go back
TA_Ealing
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby myfriendstan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:05 am

I've been in Urban Pind in Candleriggs a couple of times this year.

Very nice.
myfriendstan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:56 pm

I was back at Cafe Salma in Sauchiehall St. on Tuesday. I tried another dish and as before, the food was fabulous. I had Lamb, and I can't remember if it was a city Name like Bombay or just Punjab Karahi with a plain Pratha. My dining partner had lamb Afghani Burianni. Both tasted fantastic. With complementary water and no other drinks (no alcohol), the bill, including a 10% ish tip was 21 quid.
I'll be back, but next time I'll have my lamb off the bone. It might taste better off the bone but I'd imagine you get more meat off the bone.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sir_Knox » Tue May 04, 2010 2:13 pm

Balbirs in Church Street do an excellent banquet if you have a group going

They will make the curries to everyones pref... Food and Service is second to none :D
Sir_Knox
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby QueenOfTartan » Wed May 05, 2010 12:03 pm

Another recommendation for the Himalayan on Paisley Road West. It's my local sit down type curry place. We went about 6ish on Friday evening planning to order food, go downstairs for a leisurely drink in the Quo then come back up, collect our food and go home. On being told the food would only take 10 or 15 minutes our leisurely drink became a hasty guzzle and the food was waiting when we got upstairs.
Took it home and consumed it to the accompaniment of a bottle of mead. Bloody marvellous!
Two curries, side of rice and a kashmiri naan about 13 quid.
Can't wait to go back!
Who said that I had given thee up? Who said that thou wert sold?
'Tis false! - 'tis false! my Arab steed! I fling them back their gold!
QueenOfTartan
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Curry Capital

The race is on to find out which city will be the Curry Capital of Britain in 2010.

Glasgow won the title in 2002, 2003 and 2006 and was a close runner up in 2004, 2005 and 2007. There was a two year gap so we’re looking for your help to return the title to its worthy home in 2010.

You can nominate your favourite Indian restaurant:

Four restaurants will be chosen to represent each city in the final. We are proud to say that curry is up there as our adoptive national dish, with over 50% of Glasgow’s population eating a curry at least once a week

This year the competition will be as hot as ever so we need your help to bring the title back to Glasgow!

Closing date for nominations is Monday 4 October 2010.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:43 pm

ET

9 Dec 2010

Glasgow has regained its status as Curry Capital after beating a dozen other UK cities to scoop the coveted crown.

The city pipped Bradford into second place with Wolverhampton coming in at third to win the Curry Capital of Britain 2010 for the fourth time.

Judges deemed it a victory for teamwork and praised Glasgow City Council, the restaurants representing the city and the curry-loving public for their hard work.

The judges said runners-up Bradford had the most innovative submission and added that newcomers Wolverhampton deserved a special mention for a “tremendous” first time showing.

However Glasgow was judged to be the winner, winning by just two points, for the city’s “outstanding team effort from all parties
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:34 pm

id take that with a pinch of salt...............cumin,coriander,fenugreek,garlic,ginger.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:00 pm

banjo wrote:id take that with a pinch of salt...............cumin,coriander,fenugreek,garlic,ginger.

:D
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Mori » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:39 pm

Curry Focus

http://www.youtube.com/user/AFP#p/search/0/Ekf4JNOKwg8

The Ali family of the Shish Mahal restaurant in Glasgow have lodged a claim to the European Union to have Chicken Tikka Masala made a “Protected Designation of Origin��?.

The restaurant owners claim that they invented the dish in the 1970s by adding a sauce to the Chicken Tikka dish.

The claim for recognition by the European Union has been submitted by the Labour MP for Glasgow Central.

The Ali family claim that they just want Glasgow to be recognised as the source of what is now the most popular curry in the UK.

But if Chicken Tikka Masala gets the protected designation, then the curry wouldn’t be able to be made outside Glasgow in the same way that champagne can only come from the Champagne region of France.

It’s hard to say how the claim will progress through the legal system and it could be at least two years before the result is known.

We’re sure that the claim will be strongly contested by curry makers throughout the United Kingdom.

Maybe you should stock up the freezer with Chicken Tikka Masala just in case Glasgow wins the case.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:49 pm

About as much chance as Cheddar cheese.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants