'Time machine' pubs

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

'Time machine' pubs

Postby yonza bam » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:56 pm

One mainly for the 'auld yins' on here. Pubs that have hardly changed since you first drank in them as a nipper. I lived in the west end during my formative drinking years. The Doublet was my local when I lived in Gibson St over 30 years ago. It's got a glass door, now, and that's about the only change. Except for the clientele. Ageing bohemian types, mostly looking the worse for wear.

The Aragon's another. I think it's the only bar in Byres Rd that hasn't had a refurb since thenabouts. Heck, they should get preservation orders slapped on them, so they'll always be 'time machine pubs'.
yonza bam
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: 'Time machine' pubs

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:06 pm

Awright Yoza, howzitgawn? ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yonza bam » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:38 pm

Aye - fine, thanks. Ye've been gaun yer dinger in here. This pub forum seems a bit slow, though. Shoulda posted it in 'coffe chat' or whateverthehell it's ca'd.
yonza bam
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:45 am

Except for the clientele. Ageing bohemian types, mostly looking the worse for wear.

It's the same clientele just getting older. The changes are subtle more lager, less beer, TVs and food but it is largely unchanged.

Same with the Aragon. It was converted from a Butcher's shop in the 1960's and the butcher remained as chargehand. It has been refurbed and I don't know if it originally had a ladies toilet.

The Dolphin again has been refurbed with the bar top moved or cut back.

Unlike in Edinburgh, the pubs in Glasgow tend to have changed quite a bit in the last thirty years.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:21 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Unlike in Edinburgh, the pubs in Glasgow tend to have changed quite a bit in the last thirty years.

With the odd exception. The Old Toll Bar, Paisley Road West :

Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:43 pm

I see the barman's up to the usual standard. :roll:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:58 pm

Ach, he only has to sell one pint every twenty minutes on average.

Pub has just changed hands, btw; there are plans to introduce exciting cutting-edge concepts like 'food'.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:43 pm

Josef wrote:Pub has just changed hands, btw;

Again? I'm sure it changed hands only about 18 months ago. In fact it was closed for quite a while. Story I heard was that the licensee's lawyer failed to put the renewal application in on time. The interior is fabulous and nowhere near as well known as it would be if the pub was in the West End for instance. As Josef implies, it never seems to be busy. On the occasions I've been inside it I always felt that - apart from the decor obviously - there was little or no atmosphere in the place, no doubt its location being the main problem in this respect.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:43 pm

viceroy wrote:

Again? I'm sure it changed hands only about 18 months ago. In fact it was closed for quite a while. Story I heard was that the licensee's lawyer failed to put the renewal application in on time. The interior is fabulous and nowhere near as well known as it would be if the pub was in the West End for instance. As Josef implies, it never seems to be busy. On the occasions I've been inside it I always felt that - apart from the decor obviously - there was little or no atmosphere in the place, no doubt its location being the main problem in this respect.

They dont sell Cranberry Juice. How out of date is that
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Sunflower » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:42 am

Have they still got Cask Ale (aka proper beer)?

Quiet is good - stopped going because we always seemed to arrive at the same time as the karaoke.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:58 am

Fossil wrote:
viceroy wrote:

They dont sell Cranberry Juice. How out of date is that

Perhaps the regular clientele don't get cystitis.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:30 pm

CAMRA have published a very nice book on 'Scotland's Heritage Pubs', with lots of photos of nice interiors.

Highly recommended.

http://shop.camra.org.uk/DisplayDetail.aspx?prodid=193

Historic Scotland are working with CAMRA to do a thematic study of pubs to see what ones that aren't listed should be (similar to the one they're doing with Gap74 and I about cinema buildings), so now probably is a good time to suggest pubs for listing !
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:01 pm

nodrog wrote:CAMRA have published a very nice book on 'Scotland's Heritage Pubs', with lots of photos of nice interiors.

Got this from the Laurieston (one of the Glasgow pubs listed) a few weeks back. I did four of the Edinburgh ones at the weekend :D .
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:21 pm

The Laurieston is truly a gem, don't let the location or general appearance put you off, go on a quiet afternoon or weeknight and experience the quintessential 1960s Glasgow bar, even the gents still has its formica panelling! And double-decker formica tables so you have somewhere to put your paper without it getting wet!

Go back another 30 years and pop in to the Steps Bar in Glassford St - forget Tiger Tiger down the road, open the door to the Steps and you're right back in the 1930s. Check out the cracking private room at the back with the stained glass window, sublime!

There would have been a handful of these types of bars in every Glasgow street once upon a time, the fact that you have to go to some effort to seek them out now is a sad, sad thing.

Other recommendations - Victoriana pub interiors are still relatively easy to find, The Pot Still & The Horseshoe being favourites of mine. The State Bar is a curio, once adorned with a splendid art deco interior, which has since been largely replaced with more traditional fittings and furnishings, but check out the deco plaster arch up the back.

Mmm, could do with a pint now...
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:24 pm

Hi im new to this forum
My grandparents (mums mum and dad) lived in shields road and when we went for the weekend to stay(we lived in fife parents originally from glasgow) i remember my dad used to walk the dog around 10pm and would buy the sunday post and sunday mail from a newspaper seller at the pub at the corner of admiral street was this the old toll bar? or was it further down.
anyone remember the name of the pub on the corner of shields road/paisley road my grandparents held their golden wedding party there then we went back to the house to continue the party also what was the name of the pub opposite the kingston halls? it was beside an fish and chip shop alberts cafe was beside the fish shop.
only name ive found was red hackle but am sure this was a whisky brand the logo was a piper in full highland dress wearing a bear skin.
there was also a pub on watt street at the end of the block before the waste ground where tenememnts had been demolished vals dairy was just down a bit from the pub but cant remember its name either
hope someone can help
many thanks in advance
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants