'Time machine' pubs

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: 'Time machine' pubs

Postby scaryman2u » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:47 pm

the researcher wrote:Hi im new to this forum
My grandparents (mums mum and dad) lived in shields road and when we went for the weekend to stay(we lived in fife parents originally from glasgow) i remember my dad used to walk the dog around 10pm and would buy the sunday post and sunday mail from a newspaper seller at the pub at the corner of admiral street was this the old toll bar? or was it further down.
anyone remember the name of the pub on the corner of shields road/paisley road my grandparents held their golden wedding party there then we went back to the house to continue the party also what was the name of the pub opposite the kingston halls? it was beside an fish and chip shop alberts cafe was beside the fish shop.
only name ive found was red hackle but am sure this was a whisky brand the logo was a piper in full highland dress wearing a bear skin.
there was also a pub on watt street at the end of the block before the wast ground where tenememnts had been demolished vals dairy was just down a bit from the pub but cant remember its name either
hope some can help
many thanks in advance

Hello researcher, the Old Toll Bar is on the corner of Admiral St / Paisley Rd,the pub on the corner of Shields Rd / Paisley Rd was the Crown Bar, the pub opposite the Kingston Halls was Fleck`s Bar sorry I can`t remember the name of the pub on Watt St although I remember it being there as a stand alone pub with the tenements above it demolished, was Val`s dairy not across the road and down a bit next to the barbers shop ?
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:32 pm

thank for the reply
when you said the name crown bar it refreshed my memory immediately
vals dairy was just down from the pub there was a close then vals dairy he sold the shop and retired to ayr or somewhere and it was taken over by someone else there was a grocers on the corner of wallace grove/watt street further down on the same side was a fish and chip shop that was closed down then after a close entry there was a newsagent and hairdresser(run by a local councillor) then a man who sold tablet he made in the shop.
on the other corner of wallace grove was a bookies then a tenement then the school there was a family called miller who lived in that tenement who were in the paper for not washing the close and making the place untidy think this was late sixties early seventies seem to recall it was around the same time as mad mitch was in the paper if this helps though i may be wrong on this.
the man who owned the fish and chip shop beside flecks pub was best man to a bloke who ran a fish and chip shop here in cupar also remember alberts cafe beside the chip shop
sorry going off topic here
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby the researcher » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:19 pm

yonza bam wrote:One mainly for the 'auld yins' on here. Pubs that have hardly changed since you first drank in them as a nipper. I lived in the west end during my formative drinking years. The Doublet was my local when I lived in Gibson St over 30 years ago. It's got a glass door, now, and that's about the only change. Except for the clientele. Ageing bohemian types, mostly looking the worse for wear.

The Aragon's another. I think it's the only bar in Byres Rd that hasn't had a refurb since thenabouts. Heck, they should get preservation orders slapped on them, so they'll always be 'time machine pubs'.

my auntie rose used to work in the pub called the KIND MAN she used to keep the penny tips she got and put them in a tin for me(pre decimilisation) and give me the tin when it was full which was every few months or so
does this pub still exist or has it succumbed to the bulldozer in the pursuit of redevelopment?
her name was rose macdonald and she lived in arden if anyone remembers her she probably worked there in the sixties
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby the researcher » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:54 pm

anyone tell me when the tennement block shields road/wallace grove/watt street/paisley road were demolished along with the crown bar
from memory both pubs seemed to be popular pubs and the cherry tree had a lounge bar as well with a notice saying couples only no single ladies
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby the bar biographer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:24 pm

I was in The Old Toll a few Saturdays back (as well as a few other pubs in the vicinity) and it was as lifeless as a morgue. A real shame as it has probably the best interior of any such boozer in Glasgow.

The karaoke didn't help either, nor the shoddy bar staff...
http://thebarbiographer.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/#!/barbiographer
the bar biographer
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:28 pm

bar biographer,please do a report on the pubs around the glasgow cross area,the fascinate me for some reason.i pass them often but dont have the davina mccalls to venture in.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby delirium » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:56 pm

It's just a shame the Old Toll Bar lost all it's etched glass windows after an old firm game a few years ago. Every single one smashed. They replaced with plain glass so it spoiled it quite a bit.
delirium
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Rucola » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:00 pm

banjo wrote:bar biographer,please do a report on the pubs around the glasgow cross area,the fascinate me for some reason.i pass them often but dont have the davina mccalls to venture in.

There are photos of the interior of quite a few pubs on this blog: http://borrachoeneldia.blogspot.com/
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby the researcher » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:35 pm

delirium wrote:It's just a shame the Old Toll Bar lost all it's etched glass windows after an old firm game a few years ago. Every single one smashed. They replaced with plain glass so it spoiled it quite a bit.

one of our pubs in cupar the westport bar had an engraved window with an old fashioned innkeeper and aitchies ales inscribed underneath the drawing and it got smashed by someone and was replaced with plain glass
like the toll bar it lost its character as this window had been a feature of this pub as far back as i can remember and probably long before i was born
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:51 pm

Rucola wrote:
banjo wrote:bar biographer,please do a report on the pubs around the glasgow cross area,the fascinate me for some reason.i pass them often but dont have the davina mccalls to venture in.

There are photos of the interior of quite a few pubs on this blog: http://borrachoeneldia.blogspot.com/

thanks for the link Rucola. Some good pics there.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:55 pm

delirium wrote:It's just a shame the Old Toll Bar lost all it's etched glass windows after an old firm game a few years ago. Every single one smashed. They replaced with plain glass so it spoiled it quite a bit.

Sure about that? I'll have to check next time I pass, but it's not my recollection.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the bar biographer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi Banjo, I've got a few in the pipeline for around there, top of the list being The Tolbooth and Mackinnons.

Talking of the Old Toll Bar and time-machine pubs, The Viceroy across the road is one such, complete with original terrazzo spittoon.
http://thebarbiographer.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/#!/barbiographer
the bar biographer
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby delirium » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:30 pm

Josef wrote:

Sure about that? I'll have to check next time I pass, but it's not my recollection.

There was a bit of a battle running between the Stanley Bar and the Angel Bar mostly around about the bottom of Admiral street. The next day all the windows were boarded up. At least that's my memory, my partner reckons it was a separate bit of random vandalism. But whichever, it was maybe about 5 years ago or so. They filled in the lower parts of the windows with blackboards and signage (I think it's still like that) The old windows were a sad loss.
delirium
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby beneld » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:47 pm

Having been around quite a few pubs in the last year, I have noticed there is usually a red painted part of the bar. It could be the ceiling, as in the Carnarvon , Imperial and Ettrick , the walls , like the Dowanhill, or columns, like Henglers . There are many more examples.
Is there a name for that shade of red ? is there a reason it is so common ? It is very common and a consistent muted shade of red , not quite red sandstone but that may be it.

Also does anyone have a copy or know where i can get a copy of the "Glasgow & Strathclyde Pub Crawls " poster by Bernie Carroll that hangs on the wall in Fiddlers and Orwells ? How many of those pubs shown still exist ?

EDIT And of course the barbiographer has colored his website in a similar manner ( http://thebarbiographer.blogspot.com/ )
https://twitter.com/#!/ahaufstop
http://ahaufstop.blogspot.com
beneld
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:13 pm

i have one of the glasgow pub prints from about ten years ago.a new one was published very recently.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants