Partick Pubs

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Partick Pubs

Postby cheesemonster » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:29 am

No one has mentioned the Dowanhill yet - free jazz on Thursday and Sunday evenings. Cheap booze and worchester sauce coated peanuts behind the bar, what more do you need?
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:36 pm

i like the fiddlers in partick,tiny wee place but very welcoming.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the bar biographer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:09 pm

Stumps, nearby on Peel Street, is of similar size to Fiddlers and worth a visit too.

It used to be called The Manhattan and was owned at one time by the same family that ran the Rogano.
http://thebarbiographer.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/#!/barbiographer
the bar biographer
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:50 pm

I was in the Victoria Bar tonight for a pint of Bellhaven Light and a bag of crisps all for £2.60. E$ the channel of choice for pubs with a clientèle with an average age of 55 was showing the UK top 40 for the year. Joe Streetwalker does not get served according to a note written by Patsy.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby earthgirl » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:45 am

What happened to the Etrick and the Call Inn? As you can tell I haven't been in Partick since the mid 90s!
earthgirl
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby TA_Ealing » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:03 pm

the Ettrick is still there - walked past it earlier.
TA_Ealing
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mack4 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:54 am

The original "Ettrick" was further down Dumbarton Rd. opposite from Crow Rd.The one you're referring to was called the "Criterion" known by "some" as the "Cry" I asked a wee question about the name "Criterion" in relation to the cafe of the same name.Trouble is ah canny mind where.Senior moments eh!
mack
mack
mack4
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Princess Zelda » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:17 am

The Call Inn was part of the bingo before it was refurbished.
Princess Zelda
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby mjw » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:06 pm

Thought I'd mention the Thornwood as no-one else has, usually very quiet (during the day at least) and the outside tables seem to attract the rowdier element from the inside. Does snacks too, great location halfway between Victoria Park and Partick which suits a quick drink, most of the customers appear to be regulars, a quiet, no hassle pub
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:15 pm

The Thornwood "boasts" of having a couple og HGrs as regulars.

Ettrick is now Hesienberg and the Partick Tavern is The Partick Brewing Company. Brudar has changed its sign the Butterfly and Pig West.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:52 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:The Thornwood "boasts" of having a couple og HGrs as regulars.

Ettrick is now Hesienberg and the Partick Tavern is The Partick Brewing Company. Brudar has changed its sign the Butterfly and Pig West.

Heisenberg? I'm not sure about that...
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:07 pm

i was in there on sunday.also the three judges,the quarter gill and the fiddler.

the thornwood.
this was the last oasis before the notorious dry area of whiteinch,where a majority of residents had exercised their democratic rights under the temperance scotland act of 1913 and had voted in 1924 to keep the area free of the nefarious drink traffic.it survives in remarkably good condition and has a vitrolite exterior in primrose and black wit a neon illuminated fascia.the interior untouched by the improver is delightfully evocative of its period with dark walnut veneered panelling and ceiling laylights.the architect was james taylor and the shopfitter james rodger.from glasgow art deco by rudolph kenna.1985.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:18 pm

rabmania wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:The Thornwood "boasts" of having a couple og HGrs as regulars.

Heisenberg? I'm not sure about that...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:31 pm

woosh?
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:07 pm

banjo wrote:i was in there on sunday.also the three judges,the quarter gill and the fiddler.

the thornwood.
this was the last oasis before the notorious dry area of whiteinch,where a majority of residents had exercised their democratic rights under the temperance scotland act of 1913 and had voted in 1924 to keep the area free of the nefarious drink traffic.it survives in remarkably good condition and has a vitrolite exterior in primrose and black wit a neon illuminated fascia.the interior untouched by the improver is delightfully evocative of its period with dark walnut veneered panelling and ceiling laylights.the architect was james taylor and the shopfitter james rodger.from glasgow art deco by rudolph kenna.1985.

A lot of the original art deco stuff went. I was too lazy to put an objection in and of course no one else objected either.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants