The worst chippy in Glasgow.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby nuttytigger » Sat May 12, 2007 3:38 am

wish i had never read this thread right now - as desperate for a chippie!!!!!
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat May 12, 2007 7:55 am

nuttytigger wrote:wish i had never read this thread right now - as desperate for a chippie!!!!!

The Blue Lagoon's open.

I was in Camden on Thursday night (1:30am) and enjoyed a steak sandwich from a take away cooked in front of me for the reasonable price of £3.50 which I believe is the after midnight price of a bag of chips in Glasgow.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat May 12, 2007 8:04 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:steak sandwich

(TM) Fossil.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby excoriate » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:47 am

scallopboy wrote:Okay, so not in Glasgow, but should anyone be passing Lochgilphead, the chippy there is pretty good.

I'll be passing that way at the end of August, cheers for the info 8)
excoriate
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby motman » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:34 pm

Is the wee chippy along Argyle St between the Gazelle and the Kelvin Hall (opposite the Nisa shop) still open? I'm in town and will be having a wee crawl in that area on Friday (Bon Accord, Two Ways, Berkeley, Gazelle, chippy, bus back up to Sauchiehall Street).
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby motman » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:43 pm

JohnR wrote:
cybers wrote:Well seeing as i read the entire thread i noticed that you never saved anyone else from "execution" on this thread after all i read the entire thing.
Was i the only person to list the lagoon no...was i the only person to get saved from execution ...well it seems like pick on the newb to me....

Anyway it detracts from the original thread

Answer is still the BLue Lagoon

Hi Cybers and welcome to HG.

Cheers

John

Welcome Cybers. Ye need to be careful with the auld yins on this site. I'm also a newbie and have had to hang my balls oot to dry after no using the search thingie. :cry:
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby red_kola » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:14 pm

motman wrote:Is the wee chippy along Argyle St between the Gazelle and the Kelvin Hall (opposite the Nisa shop) still open? I'm in town and will be having a wee crawl in that area on Friday (Bon Accord, Two Ways, Berkeley, Gazelle, chippy, bus back up to Sauchiehall Street).

The Grove? Still there, still doing great chips.

Or do you mean The Kent at the end of Kent Road? Still there, may have started doing good chips - who knows :wink:
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:46 pm

Must have been the Grove if it is a long corridor type of place, RK - I was not impressed at all by the Kent.
When I was last in the Grove a while ago, ordered a haddie and chips in advance, went back to the Gazelle, had a bellyfu of kreik, and forgot to get back until he had pulled down his shutters and was walking away. But he remembered me (awwww), reopened the shop and retrieved them (still wrapped up) from the hot shelf.
I'm impressed by customer service like that.
Although I done the first customer the following morning oot of a reheated fish supper.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:57 pm

I believe the one next to beanscene in Battlefield boasted about using vegetable fat.

thankfully he dropped cooking in vegatable oil after about a month. It actually is a very good chippie, when not cooking in vegatable oil :)

Best chippie in southside used to be Amando's chips were 1st class & the Pizza was amazing but unfortunatly its just a cafe now.
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby elgee » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:57 pm

[quote="Dexter St. Clair"] I was in Camden on Thursday night (1:30am) and enjoyed a steak sandwich from a take away cooked in front of me for the reasonable price of £3.50 which I believe is the after midnight price of a bag of chips in Glasgow.[/quote

Thanks for that info Dex but Camden is a wee bit far away at the minute. I do, however get the point that here in Glasgow we may well be getting ripped off by chippies and other take aways who really do provide a poor service and choices compared with other cities or even wee towns. I was in Penrith, Cumbria fairly recently and the chippie we stopped off at had 3 different Fish to choose a supper from : Haddock, Cod and Coley were the choices. I don`t know about everyone else but in Glasgow and the West of Scotland, we just take whatever "Fish supper" they are selling.
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:15 pm

It's a bad day in Glasgow when the worst chippy in Glasgow thread outnumbers the best chippy in Glasgow thread by more than 3:1
:roll:
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: The worst chippy in Glasgow.

Postby enailer » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:18 pm

You should not try the Pakgate Chippy on Balgrayhill Road then. Pakora flavoured frozen numbers specially prepared in last years oil (yuk)
Lookin out through a Whisky coloured haze
enailer
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Kirst » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:08 pm

The Blue Lagoon for sure!
Kirst
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby TA_Ealing » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:53 pm

I thought it would be good, but had a fish supper from University Cafe on Byres Road. Yes it was freshly made, but chips were undercooked and the whole thing was swimming in grease. Horrible and will never be back. Pity are there are a bit of a lack of chippies in the Partick Area around Byres/Dumbarton Road.

I don't count the Blue Lagoon as a chippy.
TA_Ealing
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby aye yer maw » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:10 pm

the worst chippy has to be the blue lagoon on dumbarton rd, had a the greasiest the greasiest fish supper ever and within a hour of eatin it i was spewin my guts up!!!
aye yer maw
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants