Dodgy Pubs!!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby yourebarred » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:13 pm

slightly off topic but not much! my mate was in the arlington on woodlands road recently and an old guy said he'd pay him to shag his wife while he watched!!
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:46 pm

How much?
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:22 am

yourebarred wrote:while he watched!!

Watched what exactly? Corrie or Eastenders?
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby shuttle534 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:00 pm

I was passing by the New Moaco with my friend one day when we decided to have a look inside. The place stopped when we walked in, I think it might have been because my friend was wearing a hat.
Couldn't have been anything to do with the fact that Im a short arse (about 5'3") and he is pushing 6'6".
Then a wrinkly middle age woman started to sing karaoke and the whole place erupted into song like a musical. We ended up talking to some of the punters to the point that when we were leaving people were shouting cheerio to us.
Another time I went to the Scotia pool hall with a few people from college and a complete TV camera set up. After a few games of pool I started to notice how people kept looking at the equipment. I got out of there sharpish.
shuttle534
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alchemist » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:24 am

Yeah shuttle534, upstairs in the pool place, yeah, I know 8O
I used to drink at lunchtime in Sharky's. Too many nutters
spoiled the show in that place. Was a good place time back
and had characters to talk to and you could buy things 8O

Still got two other places I hang out for a fly pint and food
during the week not far from the work though.
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:49 pm

Surprised to see The Anvil in this thread. The Anvil is palacial compared to The Open Arms just down the road.
The Arms is like a bunker that smells of stale Whyte & McKay. Some of the characters in there look like the cast from the McEwans Grouse Beaters adverts.
Grim, Grim place.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:09 am

A fatal stabbing, a gangland abduction from the premises and an ATM heist; all recent. Maybe... just maybe, we should add the Springcroft Brewers Fayre to our 'Dodgy' list? Of course only on the grounds that they use that stupid plastic title 'Brewers Fayre' :)
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5036771.html
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:39 am

escotregen wrote:Of course only on the grounds that they use that stupid plastic title 'Brewers Fayre'

Plastic cutlery will be next for H & S reasons. 8O
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby TA_Ealing » Fri May 13, 2005 6:32 pm

Doctors in Kinning Park - definitely the worst pub in Glasgow.

We went to it on a sub crawl last year. As we were walking up to the pub a barman ran out with a flaming Daily Record in hand. Neds graffiting the outside of the pub in broad daylight.

Went in, Rangers wallpaper, full length life sized picture of Ian Durrant on the wall. Beside that a sign up sheet for the flute band.

Never felt so intimidated in a pub before.
TA_Ealing
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Fri May 13, 2005 9:23 pm

escotregen wrote:A fatal stabbing, a gangland abduction from the premises and an ATM heist; all recent. Maybe... just maybe, we should add the Springcroft Brewers Fayre to our 'Dodgy' list? Of course only on the grounds that they use that stupid plastic title 'Brewers Fayre' :)

Apart from all that, and the fact it's part of a chain, it's actually quite nice. I've been for a meal in there...
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri May 13, 2005 10:27 pm

Doc Lightning wrote:Apart from all that, and the fact it's part of a chain, it's actually quite nice. I've been for a meal in there...

It does seem to be earning itself a nice little reputation, and an increasing 'Dodgy' rating.

We used to use the place for business lunches, but had to give up as a bad choice. The service was invariably slow. While one aim is to have a discussion in an informal surroundings, an hour and a half for a pint and a plate of lasagne is pushing the definition of service.

By far the worst problem there though was the kid's parents. Whether it's because of its location, or it's favoured by the locals, we always had to move tables because of small children allowed to run unchecked throughout the dining area.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:47 pm

escotregen wrote:A fatal stabbing, a gangland abduction from the premises and an ATM heist; all recent. Maybe... just maybe, we should add the Springcroft Brewers Fayre to our 'Dodgy' list? Of course only on the grounds that they use that stupid plastic title 'Brewers Fayre' :)

Couldn't agree more, been in on a few occasions with the family (once should have been enough) - this pub is misnamed, it should have been the Springhill - as its built on the site of Springhill farm, Springcroft was a distance away. The service is terrible and so is the menu.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby papa lazarou » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:16 pm

Looking at these posts reminded me of being in the Scotia pool hall a good few years back. Place was packed (this was about 2 in the afternoon) and two steamers were playing pool at the table next to me and me mates. Then through the door comes some skinhead, smashes a glass over one of the steamers faces then calmly apologises to everyone else in the place and leaves!!!!!
papa lazarou
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:22 pm

shuttle534 wrote:I was passing by the New Moaco with my friend one day when we decided to have a look inside. The place stopped when we walked in, I think it might have been because my friend was wearing a hat.
Couldn't have been anything to do with the fact that Im a short arse (about 5'3") and he is pushing 6'6".
Then a wrinkly middle age woman started to sing karaoke and the whole place erupted into song like a musical. We ended up talking to some of the punters to the point that when we were leaving people were shouting cheerio to us.
Another time I went to the Scotia pool hall with a few people from college and a complete TV camera set up. After a few games of pool I started to notice how people kept looking at the equipment. I got out of there sharpish.

The New Monaco is closed down now isn't it? I've never been in but I used to walk past it alot and the doors would usual be open and you could see right in. Not that enticing I have to say. I heard they used to sell buckets of slops round the back to the tramps from the Bellgrove Hotel!

I used to work in Bridgeton but I you certainly wouldn't get me in any of the pubs round there.

Just noticed someone mentioned The Brandon in Motherwell. That would be my local if I was mental enough to go in. Pretty grotty but to be fair they haven't had a murder for a couple of years!
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby thecatsmother » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:07 am

shuttle534 wrote:Another time I went to the Scotia pool hall with a few people from college and a complete TV camera set up. After a few games of pool I started to notice how people kept looking at the equipment. I got out of there sharpish.

Och, ya bunch o big lassies ;). They probably just thought ye were from Environmental Health. I used to drink (and embarrass guys at pool) there every Thurs and Fri night, till I got one salmonella too far. It's called The 8 Ball, btw, and isn't owned by the Scotia.
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants