Dodgy Pubs!!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Dodgy Pubs!!

Postby JimmyB » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:41 pm

Remember goin into Mackinnons under the bridge at Glesca x in the early 90s can still taste the pish n shite that was in the air ,diddnt even get as far as the bar fuckin mingin
JimmyB
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby My Kitten » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:25 am

was in maryhill at the weekend and was nearly tempted to nip into a hostelry for a pint, was too scared by the look of them (framptons, bugle .,...) ended up in Jaconelli's for a double nougat instead.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:42 pm

My Kitten wrote:was in maryhill at the weekend and was nearly tempted to nip into a hostelry for a pint, was too scared by the look of them (framptons, bugle .,...) ended up in Jaconelli's for a double nougat instead.

You're safe in Jaconelli's but you'll usually find the Star & Garter is pretty safe and okay for a pint.
The Woody (Woodside Inn) further down towards the city centre is also okay but I would avoid Munn's just up from Queens X.

Still miss the Firhill Tavern for how bad it was. it really did have sawdust on the floor, no windows (they were all boarded up) and glasses that were none to clean, but as a period piece of an old Glasgow pub, few could have surpassed it :D
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:33 pm

got told a wee tale last night about a guy falling asleep pished in mackinnons and waking up to find his trainers gone...................he was wearing them when he nodded off. ::):
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:42 am

He's lucky he kept his feet.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:17 pm

banjo wrote:got told a wee tale last night about a guy falling asleep pished in mackinnons and waking up to find his trainers gone...................he was wearing them when he nodded off. ::):

Nothing unusual about that.
Common occurence in North Motherwell, where they mug you for your trainers.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:56 pm

About twenty years ago my best mate was crazy enough to date then even get engaged to some fucknut, from a family of fucknuts, from Airdrie. Before he saw sense I attended a function in some place in Airdrie or Drumgelloch celebrating her thirtieth. The passage of time along with me hitting thirty eight on bonfore night means I forget the name of this dump but it was something along the lines of the Blue Flamingo.

Anyhooz the idiots who ran this joint double booked the venue. My mate wasn't in the best of moods about this and insisted his partners buffet remained where it was set up. This led to the other parties buffet table being set up outside the gents toilets.

Should you be of a sensitive nature or like chicken drumsticks please no not continue

As the night progressed peoples appetites were such that the gentlepersons frequenting the toilet were taking chicken drumsticks from the nearby table for a mid pish snack. Unfortunately the communal urinal was one of the trench style doo-daah's with one drainage outlet. Both the urinal, and most unfortunately the outlet, quickly became blocked with half eaten drumsticks.

Rather disturbingly this blockage created a backlog of pish which then flooded the toilet and made its pishy way to the door where it snaked it's way underneath the aforementioned buffet table in a futile break for freedom.

Now one may suggest that this was bad enough however what put the icing on the cake was that people continued to eat from the table!

Fucking took me a couple of years to be able to eat a chicken drumstick again.

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BenLeith » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:15 am

Great thread this one.Just shows the character of Glasgow and reveals that even though these pubs might be ''dodgy'' they still have a place in society.

One mans ''dodgy'' pub is another mans haven.
BenLeith
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Jockissimo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:50 pm

BenLeith wrote:Great thread this one.Just shows the character of Glasgow and reveals that even though these pubs might be ''dodgy'' they still have a place in society.

One mans ''dodgy'' pub is another mans haven.

Well put.

I used to drive deliveries to the bar in sighthill, very like the one in chewin the fat.

It wasn't too bad in an unmarked van, but if the rear gunner took a couple of seconds to light a fag they were on us.

Did the originial sarrie heid and was it "bar 82" in no mans land between GQS and buchannan bus station.
Jockissimo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Morroccomole » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:17 am

Whit about the Gazelle (known locally as the Guzzell) on Govan Road.

Remember having a lunchtime pint in here circa 84 during a particularly hot spell of weather, so hot the barman had wedged the door open to allow the traffic fumes to cool the place down!!! Anyway a wee smelly Govan dug wandered in and immediatly started spewing up in the middle of the floor. Christ knows what the dug had been eatin but the smell was bloody awful.

The barman jumped from behind bar armed wi a brush and knocked the shit oot the wee dug. Maybe the wee dug had ate one o the dodgy pies they sold, who knows.
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Morroccomole
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re:

Postby jmmullarkey1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:28 pm

My Kitten wrote:hmm the duke and the lea rig come to mind oh and the caravel - or am i showing my age now

(This is my first post!) I know exactly where you are! I spent many an evening waiting for my Grandfather outside of 'The Duke'. I remember my driving instructor once telling me a story of when he worked behind the bar in a pub call 'The Anvil Inn'. He noticed to built gentlemen, all in black walk in and look around, before exiting. They reappeared a few moments later with Arthur Thompson. Best not spill his pint, then.

As to 'dodgy' pubs, when someone asks you "whit team de ye support, son?", then you know it's time to 'make tracks'.
jmmullarkey1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re:

Postby jmmullarkey1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:29 pm

nuttytigger wrote:where is the lea rig? there was a pub call ed that near me

The Lea Rig which I know of is on Alley Parade.
jmmullarkey1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Re:

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:34 am

jmmullarkey1 wrote:

Too close to Blackhill or handy depending on your prejudices.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:08 pm

there was also a pub called the learags in dumbarton rd dalmuir.now called the cabin inn.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Re:

Postby jmmullarkey1 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
jmmullarkey1 wrote:

Too close to Blackhill or handy depending on your prejudices.

Ha! I know Blackhill well. Also, to the left of the Lea Rig is Benny's Fish & Chicken Bar (chippie). (See 'Best Chippies' posts)
jmmullarkey1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants