Good Restaurants

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby invy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:19 pm

My Kitten wrote:I was at Pancho Villas on Friday for dinner...

What did you reckon to the pricing MK? I really like the food at Pancho Villas but the mole poblano could have done with another portion of the chicken and tortilla and less of the savoury rice and beans for the price.

I can't say I didn't enjoy the meal, it was utterly yummy (I could eat the ceviche by the bucketload for a start) but I did feel a little ripped off due to the padding out of the main courses. This was the Edinburgh one though so maybe they were filming an episode of The Real Hustle that day :)

-Jim
That'll be Fife I can see from the window :)
invy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gwendle » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:38 am

The Village Tandoori in Tradeston was visited the other week. Love it!
gwendle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:53 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:There's a Tapas bar opened up accross from teh clinic in Dumbarton road. it has a pub licence so you can have a drink but the tapas are chep. here's a plug from Tam Shields

Pintxo is at 562 Dumbarton Road

http://tinyurl.com/33qkdt

I was there on Thursday, thought it was really nice. We had a good selection of stuff from the extensive menu - but be careful not to order too many things with potato in (I did and wasn't able to finish everything :( ).

The staff are friendly and attentive, the loos are clean, well lit and freshly decorated, and the restaurant itself is a pleasant intimate place to spend an evening.

We had six tapas dishes, a bottle of wine, and desert, cost about £40 (mostly the wine tho!). Most of the tapas are £3/£4, but there are things like scallops as well which are a wee bit dearer. I had a wee paella, pretty tasty. You get free bread, olives and toasted almonds.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby jodieohdoh » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:38 pm

escotregen wrote:The De Maggios branch somewhere in a semi-industrial estate in semi-industrial East Kilbride was dreadful - sheer bedlam from this huge open plan bar diner with numerous TV screens, games machines and bad taste muzak.

Always happy to help- it's at the Boardwalk, Stroud Road, EK. I find that the food isnae that bad (come on, it's a chain) indeed I have had worse meals at the one in Royal Exchange Square. It's quiet enough if you take a booth rather than sitting at an open table.

Also, off-topic, EK is semi-industrial because the light industries are packing up one by one having bled the Scottish Executive grants dry and sourced cheaper manufacturing options overseas. It's still my hometown for all that.

While I'm bigging up EK, Peter's Seafood Restaurant in the Village is second to none, and the Bombay Palace (AKA the Murray Curry) serves up massive portions of good curry for next to nothing.
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby My Kitten » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:49 pm

invy wrote:
My Kitten wrote:I was at Pancho Villas on Friday for dinner...

What did you reckon to the pricing MK? I really like the food at Pancho Villas but the mole poblano could have done with another portion of the chicken and tortilla and less of the savoury rice and beans for the price.

I can't say I didn't enjoy the meal, it was utterly yummy (I could eat the ceviche by the bucketload for a start) but I did feel a little ripped off due to the padding out of the main courses. This was the Edinburgh one though so maybe they were filming an episode of The Real Hustle that day :)

-Jim

sorry jim, missed this one!

Thought it was overpriced for what you got, seems to be padded out with cheap stuff :( Still a nice meal but ... aye but!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Good Restaurants

Postby mooshimooshisan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:46 pm

I know it's been mentioned before, but Roastit Bubbly Jock's really is splendid. Was in for lunch a couple of weeks ago and the food was superb. The lamb main course was so tender my mouth is watering just thinking about it again! Pretty reasonably priced too.

The Bothy down Ruthven Lane is nice enough, but portions not that good. DiMaggios last few times in RES and RL were heading downhill considering the competition round about.

Recently moved to Broomhill and we have a great wee restaurant/bar just been renovated right at the Thornwood roundabout. It's called Mickey Blues, used to be the Buttery. It reopened yesterday, but was open with the new owners for a while before work began. The handmade burgers are out of this world, and the coleslaw was something else! Very reasonably priced and well worth a visit - they're open from 8am all the way thru the day to 1am now with promises of live music, etc. And no, I'm not on commission!
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby edward carolan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:38 pm

Just a block before 'The Village' in Tradeston there is a new-ish Halal restaurant 'The Kharai Palace'. Good authentic food,made to order, and very reasonable prices. The Fish Pakora is astounding.
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:18 pm

edward carolan wrote: in Tradeston there is a new-ish Halal restaurant 'The Kharai Palace'. Good authentic food, The Fish Pakora is astounding.

How do you know it's authentic? Do any Chinese eat there?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby edward carolan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:23 pm

No , but the last time I was in there, there was a S.E Asian family eating and they seemed to be enjoying the food.
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Peekay » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:29 am

I refuse to eat/get food from halal resturants. The 'halal' method of slaughtering animals is barbaric in my humble opinion;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhabi%C4%A5a#Slaughtering_Process

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gordon » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:40 pm

Ach, each to their own and all that, but as long as its cooked through.........its not like you've got to kill the thing yersel.

Don't worry, I already know im dead inside.
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:35 am

Ventured to Yo Sushi last night. I was pleasantly surprised. Food seemed freshly prepared and not just brought in - but we shall see how long that lasts!

Seafood Firecracker Sticker Rice
Seafood soup
Spicy Tuna Handroll
Soft Shell Crab and Mizuna Handroll
Crab and Avocado Handroll
Soft Shell Crab and Yuzo Tobiko ISO
Spicy Chicken Katsu
Oshinko Maki
Green French Beans with Su Miso Sauce
(crispy salmon things dunno what their name was!)
Green tea mousse for dessert

Green Tea was £1.25 (unlimited)
Water £1 (unlimited)

Not an everyday or even every week type of place to visit (due to cost), but worth it now and again.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:25 pm

My Kitten wrote:Ventured to Yo Sushi last night. I was pleasantly surprised. Food seemed freshly prepared and not just brought in - but we shall see how long that lasts!

I can often be found in Yo Sushi at Gatwick Airport kicking back with a book and a beer!
Tried Argan Café at 1166/1170 Argyle St, G3 8TE a few weeks ago. Great Moroccan food, wine and tea but the service was garbage. Then onto the Karaoke at The Two Ways where I met the bassist from Steelers Wheel (or so he said).
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:12 pm

nuttytigger wrote:have you ever been to la tasca on renfield st?? would love to know whats its like as it looks really nice from the outside.

I've been in La Tasca once, it was alright
but...
we asked for paella and were told it would take an hour, so we ditched that, and Shakira's 'hips don't lie' was played about 5 or 6 times while i was there, which breaks the Geneva Convention imo
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby THA G-MAN » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:49 pm

went to the the italian kitchen enoteca in albion street the other day,and had the best veal on the bone ever! the dishes are like an italian tapas theme and there is so much choice and combinations to try.P.S. it is the sister restaurant to the italian kitchen on ingram st.
THA G-MAN
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants