Subway Sandwich Shops

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Subway Sandwich Shops

Postby viceroy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:27 pm

There's a Subway in Ibrox as well now. On Paisley Road West, just down from the library.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lefty » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:35 pm

Fossil wrote:
Lefty wrote:i've just started working at the sauchiehall street/charing cross subway. 20% discount to all hidden glasgow folk when i'm around! i usually work night shifts till 4am :roll:

excellent! btw are they bring out the wee discount books they had over the summer?

Fossil

hmm.. which discount books are you referring to exactly? i haven't been working there for long so i wouldn't know what discounts were available in summer. I know that you can get some discounts when you watch a movie at Cineworld and also if you're a student.

My Kitten wrote:
Lefty wrote:i've just started working at the sauchiehall street/charing cross subway. 20% discount to all hidden glasgow folk when i'm around! i usually work night shifts till 4am :roll:

excellent mine will be an italian herb footlong toasted, cheese steak melt thingy bob

great. would you like to make that a meal deal? cookie or crisps? :wink:
Lefty
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby My Kitten » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Lefty wrote:great. would you like to make that a meal deal? cookie or crisps? :wink:

hmm cookie, white choc chip please

mm must remember this when pished in town, which isnt often :(
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:24 am

viceroy wrote:There's a Subway in Ibrox as well now. On Paisley Road West, just down from the library.

Ah. That explains the sudden appearance of branded litter at Cessnock.

So much classier than the usual polystyrene trays/blue poly bags. And I thought people were suddenly waiting till they were out of the subway to drop their rubbish. :evil:
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:16 pm

Subway is a hit because it smells so freaking good with the baking of the bread etc. It tastes pretty good too, but I've got to admit its a wee bit of a rip off. "Oooh, £2.95 for a fuckin big piece! Magic, I'll have wan y them, a bit y that, aye bang on the cheese.........HOW MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!"
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:12 pm

Stick to the sub of the day. £1.90 and everything on it.

My son was on his break and decided to grab a bite to eat from Subway only to find himself behind a family of five who had not been to Subway before. Mother had to be convinced that this was a good deal and therefore every step of the way from what kind of breads there were to what was a jalepino. After individually ordering and watching a sub being put together for each of her children she decided t go through the questionnaire herself and ordered a sub. My son then had ten minutes to order his and eat it.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby campo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:35 pm

jodieohdoh wrote:Subway is a hit because it smells so freaking good with the baking of the bread etc. It tastes pretty good too, but I've got to admit its a wee bit of a rip off. "Oooh, £2.95 for a fuckin big piece! Magic, I'll have wan y them, a bit y that, aye bang on the cheese.........HOW MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Yeah subway is a bit of a rip off.... i dont think they were all that great ... and is it really fresh?? Baguette Express is a favourite of mine since it opened on Byres Rd... have as many fillings as u want for 2.20??.... ya beauty :!: :wink:
campo
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby sds » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:45 pm

campo wrote:
jodieohdoh wrote:Subway is a hit because it smells so freaking good with the baking of the bread etc. It tastes pretty good too, but I've got to admit its a wee bit of a rip off. "Oooh, £2.95 for a fuckin big piece! Magic, I'll have wan y them, a bit y that, aye bang on the cheese.........HOW MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Yeah subway is a bit of a rip off.... i dont think they were all that great ... and is it really fresh?? Baguette Express is a favourite of mine since it opened on Byres Rd... have as many fillings as u want for 2.20??.... ya beauty :!: :wink:

It's a pity that for your £2.20, you don't get much in the way of actual flavour ;) I've been in a couple of times, and while there's nothing wrong with the place, it's nothing to write home about either. Unless I wanted to write home about poor sorvice, but I'd be willing to let that slide.

Some Subway stuff is okay. Some sucks also. But a good sandwich on fresh bread at a couple of quid isn't bad at all, if you go at a time when they have fresh bread. Sure, it's not the cheapest, but as Dex suggests, just go for the works!

If you're comfortable with expensive sandwiches, avoid subway and M&S (the purveyor of surprisingly shit sandwiches), and go to O'Brien's instead. Problem solved.
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby elgee » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:35 am

BTW, ye can just say no to the bread and have it all made up as a rather substandial, tasty salad for no extra cost
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:29 pm

sds wrote: .................and go to O'Brien's instead. Problem solved.

Yer man (Mr O'Brien?) was interviewed on the telly on the occassion of the opening of the shop in Renfield Street and was asked about the difference between Irish sandwiches and ordinary sandwiches. He said, without a hint of a smile,"Irish sandwiches are thicker".
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:54 pm

Strange thing is i prefer O'Briens to subways, last subway i was in was a bit boggin (one at central station on renfield st)
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:38 pm

Have still to make my mind up about Subway.
My oldest boy loves them but still not totally sold on the idea.

Went to a couple in New York in summer and in one tried the pizza which thought was quite decent but the other one had so many tables looking like they needed wiped that it sort of put me off.
Floor seemed covered in dropped bits of food so only way I would eat mine was with several napkins below but made me feel a loss of appetite.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby big jim » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:00 am

cannae beleive theres a subway in saracen and now on maryhill road at the avenue 8O

ffs wits next 5 star eatery in summerston ::):
big jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Whangie » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:19 pm

I was in the Subway in Cambridge Street one day during the summer and there were loads of bluebottles buzzing about the shop and a rank smell and all I could think of was that where theres bluebottles theres maggots and where theres maggots theres rotten, decaying meat Yuck! I left without ordering anything and I've never went back to that one.
Whangie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dave » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:26 pm

big jim wrote:cannae beleive theres a subway in saracen and now on maryhill road at the avenue 8O

ffs wits next 5 star eatery in summerston ::):

There are Greggs in the same locations, it's a simple franchise.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants