best chippie?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

best chippie?

Postby leper_2000 » Sun May 01, 2005 9:12 am

right so i see the worst chippie here but what about the best one?

i have a massive craving for chips right now, only another of couple of hours to wait (they do open on sundays right?)

so what stands out from the crowd? most of the places iv been have been fairly samey or well overpriced for what is basically one of the cheapest staple foods deep fried in cancer..

silence my belly
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Sun May 01, 2005 3:02 pm

Papa G's in Mount Florida is pretty good, and cheap too.

I'm sure one or two of us will agree that if you're ever unfortunate enough to have to go to kilmarnock, the Chip Bank is a good 'un.
"You just keep pumping away until someone suitably qualified tells you to stop."
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun May 01, 2005 3:18 pm

Papa Gs is good, all the chippes in Shawlands are piasch. Theres one on Mosspark Rd at Paisly Rd West thats nice (does a pizza in batter... delish!) and the Happy Chippy on Shettleston Rd is probably the best in that kneck of the woods.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby lordsleek » Sun May 01, 2005 3:39 pm

Tortolanos at Uddingston cross
great food but a bit slow cos of making everything fresh
:D
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sun May 01, 2005 10:34 pm

My nomination for the best chippie : -

The Frying Scotsman - Dyke Road - or at least it was until some fa**ies set fire to the row of shops :cry:

Here's hoping it can be re-opened soon along with the rest of the shops.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DVF » Sun May 01, 2005 11:23 pm

Maryhill has a couple of good ones. Jaconelli's (also makes the best ice cream on the planet, but that's another story). The place a couple of doors along from the Viking pub in Maryhill Road (can't remember it's name though). Further out there's the Chip Chick (any of them). I liked The Frying Scotsman too, had a good lunchtime menu.

But then again I don't go into chip shops much these days, went off them. But if were on the subject of chips the best I've had recently anywhere is from the Knightswood Inn Chinese Takeaway on Archerhill Road. It's those skinny processed ones but they are cooked to perfection. It's the only thing I get there, I've went off Chinese food as well.
The hill goes up and down.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alchemist » Tue May 03, 2005 10:41 am

The chip shop in Silverton, Dumbarton has been consistent for
years and operated by the same family since the dawn of time :)

Another good chip shop is down the front in Helensburgh, yet
again been there for years.
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby thecatsmother » Wed May 04, 2005 2:28 am

I'll agree with Jaconelli's, but Gio's by the Viking is mingin! Best fish supper anywhere is from The Wellington in Ayr. I heard it burned down recently too, but don't know if it re-opened.
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby TA_Ealing » Fri May 13, 2005 6:28 pm

Lena's in Dumbarton Road near the Thornwood Roundabout - £1.75 for a sausage supper and it's quality
TA_Ealing
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Rainbow Cafe , Balmore rd

Postby salty dog » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:50 am

Can anyone tell me what happened there in regards the once thriving business?
As i recall it was always busy and even had a delivery service.And sometime last year they closed for what looked like renovations and work did seem to be ongoing.
Nothing for almost a year until recently for a week or so the workmen were back , and now nothing again.It'll be closer to 2 years closed soon.

I pass it on the way to work and remember it as a friendly wee place with ample parking for what it was , nice food too.
salty dog
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby anok » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:50 pm

the one next to the viking is Harry's and its shite. they dont understand what "lots of vinegar " or "no salt"means, the philidelphia in summerston is the berries but shuts early because they kept getting robbed
anok
First Stripe
First Stripe

who's harry ?

Postby salty dog » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:33 am

A bunch of us from where i worked almost..10 years ago now...geez , used Harry's in Maryhill rd.
It was pretty good then , even the guys from wishaw used to say it was fair ..sad to hear its went downhill.

But even those years ago i remember being dispatched for the suppers and having to wait for upwards of half a dozen assorted suppers i asked one of the girls.. Who's Harry ?

She had no idea.
salty dog
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:48 am

If you fancy a long walk the Harbour Cafe in Girvan is the best I've been in recently. Nearer home the one beside Balloch Station is brill. What's the Phillidelphia like now? Used to be one of the best years ago.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

weird ..

Postby salty dog » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:06 pm

I had posted the other day about the Rainbow cafe in Balmore rd , and i seen tonight they are ready for opening ..by the looks of , washing the windows and the metal rollers were up.. brilliant
salty dog
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:13 pm

retired tiger wrote:If you fancy a long walk the Harbour Cafe in Girvan is the best I've been in recently. Nearer home the one beside Balloch Station is brill. What's the Phillidelphia like now? Used to be one of the best years ago.

i remember the balloch station one being magic 12 years ago. Not been back since. I keep meaning to, but i'm a lazy shit.

I hate it when people rave about a place but it turns out to be crap. Not a chippy per se, but the burger van on woodlands road next to lobbie dosser (?) got rave reviews from friends, and it's crap. Rubbish hot dog and crap chips. I wasn't impressed.
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants