best chippie?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: best chippie?

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:44 pm

There are three words certain to cast fear into the hearts and tastebuds of afficionados of greet chippies.

Under New Management

Imagine my horror when I spotted the sign in the window of The Grove at Finnieston.

I can, however, report that the chips are still great. My wee brother's special fish was excellent but my regular fish wasn't up to the usual standard. It may have been a one-off. I'll try again soon.

PS. I enquired after the guy who used to run The Grove and was told he'd gone to Govan. The whole queue offered their commiserations on his fate.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:02 am

do you still get queues in chippies?
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:25 am

Yep. This one consisted mostly of taxi drivers. That's usually a good sign in a chippy.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sandabound » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:46 pm

I was visiting my wife in the western infirmary last night, she's getting cabin fever she's been in almost 3 weeks now, so last night i took her down to the car & nipped into the Grove for a fish supper, it was lovely, best bit it was only £2.95, mind you i got some funny looks sitting eating it with a women n her housecoat & jammies sitting next to me :D
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:01 pm

two ninetyyfive,have you got a time machine.six quid or thereabouts at the chippie boat on the naully.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:16 pm

Sandabout's right. A small fish supper and a small special fish supper came to just over £6.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sandabound » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:25 pm

Banjo, i had a pocket full of smash pound coins etc & was expecting to get rid of about £5.60 had to ask the girl 3 times how much did she say & it had nothing to do with her English accent, i was well chuffed & only ate bout half the chips :D
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Charlotte » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:24 pm

I've been to The Grove a couple of times too - really like it there. A few of us were going to go last Friday, but once we'd got settled at mine with a film, we couldn't be bothered to move so we ordered a takeaway pizza instead :roll:
Charlotte
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:32 am

Enzo and Dolce Vita on the Shettleston Road get my vote - they (were) my local ones, now that I've moved my dad out of the city as well I rarely get the chance to get back there.

Cafe Zecchino on Alexandra Parade/Cumbernauld Road was always a sound choice as well - always good for a late night stop in on the way home if I was in town and I had the car.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:57 am

In keeping with much of its surroundings, the Grove has gone a bit trendy.

The 'seafood' menu now includes salmon, calamari, prawns (I think) and other choices.

A small fish supper, freshly fried, is still very affordable at < £4.00.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:17 pm

Good write-up for Old Salty's in the Observer yesterday. Has anyone been? Lots of new restaurants in that area since the Hydro opened last year.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... jay-rayner
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:26 pm

dimairt wrote:Good write-up for Old Salty's in the Observer yesterday. Has anyone been? Lots of new restaurants in that area since the Hydro opened last year.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... jay-rayner

Me.

And yes, it's pretty good.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lordbarneth » Mon May 26, 2014 12:47 pm

Peters Chippie in Thornliebank is excellent.
http://www.just-eat.co.uk/restaurants-peterschippie-g48
lordbarneth
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Best Chippie

Postby cocobanjo » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:30 pm

ClydeBuilt wrote:The Unique in Allison Street used to be unbeatable. Remember my Granda taking me there about 25 years ago.

Last time I was there about 3 years ago it had gone downhill.

Tina's (?) in Calder Street at the end of Hollybrook Street deserves a mention though.

PS Who would have thought it.........I regitered for this forum because I am interested in the history of Glasgow and my first post is about fecking chip shops........ah well......at least I know where my priorities lie!!! :D :D

A fantastic chippy and restaurant,a regular taxi drivers haunt the owners sold out about 15 years ago and it has steadily declined.
cocobanjo
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Best Chippie

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:41 pm

cocobanjo wrote:
ClydeBuilt wrote:The Unique in Allison Street used to be unbeatable. Remember my Granda taking me there about 25 years ago.

Last time I was there about 3 years ago it had gone downhill.

Tina's (?) in Calder Street at the end of Hollybrook Street deserves a mention though.

PS Who would have thought it.........I regitered for this forum because I am interested in the history of Glasgow and my first post is about fecking chip shops........ah well......at least I know where my priorities lie!!! :D :D

A fantastic chippy and restaurant,a regular taxi drivers haunt the owners sold out about 15 years ago and it has steadily declined.

We used to go to the Unique and we had to be quite unique about it due to the type of vehicle we were in or driving, )funeral hearses and limos don't tend to go down too well) and so it was park around the corner, pop in quickly and retire as fast as we could and return to base... (popped said suppers under the bonnet and kept them warm) and of course the usual calling out of the old, lame and tired jokes.

From time to time, we'd actually be able to go over and sit in the place - with the cutlery and crockery that didn't match but when the then owners sold out, that was it - never the same.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants