Stirling Castle pub

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Stirling Castle pub

Postby Oldandbold » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:24 am

Just back from a long sojourn in OZ ,so hi again all. Surprised to see the Stirling Castle on Old Dumbarton Rd now gone along with the Overflow opposite. Anyone know what happened to this once popular and busy pub. ?
Oldandbold
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Stirling Castle pub

Postby Josef » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:08 pm

Oldandbold wrote:Just back from a long sojourn in OZ ,so hi again all. Surprised to see the Stirling Castle on Old Dumbarton Rd now gone along with the Overflow opposite. Anyone know what happened to this once popular and busy pub. ?

Unhelpful post, since I don't know, but I had rather wondered that myself. There was also an Overflow 2 pub, if I recall.

Not quite my kind of territory, but I had a friend, etc...
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:58 pm

the stirling castle gone 8O i wetted all three of my childrens heads in there.1983,1986,1989.ah well the memories will live forever.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:13 pm

When I attended a training course in Yorkhill Hospital in March I was told that it had recently shut and without any warning or notice.
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:22 pm

The working class population if it still exists are drinking elsewhere. Dukes bar has re established itself down the street and The Goat has gone. The only original bar left in Finnieston is The Grove, every other one along Dumbarton Road has gone for a younger and moneyed clientele. Brewdog has established itself in what was once a tough spot for lease holders. Oh and The Snaffle Bit still survives.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:27 pm

Josef wrote: There was also an Overflow 2 pub, if I recall.

This would have been the Outside Inn, on the corner of Radnor St. and Argyle St., which was the third pub in the area owned by the Main family at that time.

http://www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk/montys.html
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:39 pm

Alfie's is open on the opposite corner and some new gastro pub (Ox cheeks anyone?)has opened on the site of The Stirling Castle.

The Grumpy Goat
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:29 am

Dexter/Anyone,

Apologies as I can't find out how to copy images from Google Street View.

Would you remember what the name of the pubs now called Lebowski's and The Brass Monkey that sit on the opposite side of teh junction of Argyll Street and Kent Road in the late nineties? I used to drink in the Lebowski's place with my MOD colleagues from the building in the Skypark area. One of the few places I have ever seen that had sawdust on the floor.

Thanks
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby sandabound » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:59 pm

InkMan wrote:Dexter/Anyone,

Would you remember what the name of the pubs now called Lebowski's and The Brass Monkey that sit on the opposite side of teh junction of Argyll Street and Kent Road in the late nineties? I used to drink in the Lebowski's place with my MOD colleagues from the building in the Skypark area. One of the few places I have ever seen that had sawdust on the floor.

Thanks

That wasn't sawdust, it was last night's furniture, boom boom, I know I know, i'll get ma coat
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:34 pm

Thanks

Brass Monkey was, amongst other names, The Two Ways. More at http://www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk/twoways.html

Lebowski was The Sandyford.http://www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk/sandyford.html
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks

You need to take a screen shot

on the mac pro it's
Screenshots on Macintosh
To take a screenshot on a Mac, three keys need to be held down at the same time:

Command + Shift + 4
A new bullseye-like cursor will appear, and you can drag to select the area of the screen for the screenshot
Command + Shift + 3
This will take a screenshot of the entire screen
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:16 pm

It saves as a PNG so you'll need image software eg Photoshop to convert it to a jpeg.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:50 pm

Cheers Egg man and Dexter.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Scotty100 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:02 pm

The Stirling Castle was bought a number of years ago by a thoroughly nice chap called Robert Jackson who also had a pub in Dumbarton and a wee hotel in Cardross. Not sure if he also took over The Overflow. They all seemed to close or change hands at the same time.
A sign of how difficult it is to survive on such narrow margins in the licence trade today.

I live in Old Kilpatrick and between here and the next village of Bowling there where six pubs. Now only two survive, The Ettrick and The Bay Inn which has survived as a traditional boozer since 1790.
OK the Glen Lusset has re-opened but I am told some nights there are not enough customers to keep the doors open.
Scotty100
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:16 pm

the Ettrick always had a good reputation as a well ran establishment.the beer garden could do with a tidy up at times though.the bay inn sometimes does not open until 1 pm grrr.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants