Has 'The Aragon' on Byres Rd ever had a refurb?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Has 'The Aragon' on Byres Rd ever had a refurb?

Postby yonza bam » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:25 pm

As far as I'm concerned, it's the only pub on Byres Road that's never been refurbed - since the early 70s, anyway. I'm being told I'm wrong about this, and I know the frontage has had a couple of makeovers, but it looks exactly the same to me inside as it did way back then. Any west end old timers on here?
yonza bam
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Has 'The Aragon' on Byres Rd ever had a refurb?

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:03 pm

I seem to recall some sort of refurb - early to mid 90's but I don't think it was spectacular - just a tidy up and the front has been done a few times, but yes, I do remember some refurb from that period.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:38 pm

I don't recall the Aragon interior looking other than it does now although it may well have been given a lick of paint at some point. The exterior, as oldglasgowpubs shows, has been revamped a couple of times.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:39 pm

As I said to you on Gwendies site they put new toilets in which reshaped the bottom end of the bar.

Yonza and i are also looking for the previous names of the bar which is now The Three Judges.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:58 am

I went into Whistlers Mother after being away for many years and it hadn't changed either from my days in the Byre same toilets/bar etc - weird experience .................... man 8O
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:24 am

The Aragon occupied the premises of a butchers and opened in the mid sixties. The first chargehand was a butcher in the shop. When they relocated the toilets they also opened up some more space opposite the bar. I shall consult some Aragon regulars on their recall of the changes.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mack4 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:As I said to you on Gwendies site they put new toilets in which reshaped the bottom end of the bar.

Yonza and i are also looking for the previous names of the bar which is now The Three Judges.

Wasn't it called "Bennetts" around the 70/80s.I do remember "Wilsons" in Byres Rd being called "Owen Jones" alas it's gone now!
mack
mack
mack4
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants