Club Noir - Help!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Club Noir - Help!

Postby glasgow_cpl » Sun May 23, 2010 7:25 pm

New to the site, so we'd first like to say 'Hello'!

Been told about Club Noir and have done a bit of research on it. Looks quite interesting, but it would be a new thing for us!

Has anyone been to one of the past events? What should we expect?

Thanks All!
glasgow_cpl
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Club Noir - Help!

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun May 23, 2010 9:09 pm

Several bunches of people milling about dressed up maybe according to the theme or in their usual corsets and underwear and nothing much else. The burlesque is episodic and features some pretty weak acts but the top acts are usually good.

The dressing up aspect is great fun and if you like outfit spotting you’ll keep yourself entertained for quite some time. Unfortunately the burlesque acts were dull and occasionally cringey so no entertainment factor there.

It was also extremely over filled when I visited meaning a 30 min queue for the toilets and a ten min wait for a cigarette. I gave up on getting a drink pretty quickly.

The atmosphere was pretty good though, everyone is very friendly and smiley. I think if I had of gotten a head start on drinking before turning up, could have got on to the dance floor and didn’t have to wait so long for everything it would have been a great night. I will try this place out again and hope it’s less busy!
2008 review

The theme for the next night is Summer Holidays and you can find some details here.

The live band are Les Bofs who'll do a short set or two and are sixties Nuggets kind of band with a French accent. One of Glasgow best DJs Hush Puppy will be playing some great and occasionally obscure tunes. DJ Loveless tends towards 80s electropop. He may have improved the quality of his MP3s

It's worth going to for a visit. It is extremely popular.

But I don't know how many if any HGrs actually went to Club Noir on the planned night out in 2004.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby delirium » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:37 pm

The summer ones are usually quieter, the really busy ones are Valentines and Christmas. It means the atmosphere isn't quite so good, but the bar queues are shorter... as they're atrocious otherwise.
The acts can be mixed, some wonderful, some not so much and the whole thing has got generally more mainstream. But it can still be a good night if the performers are a good blend. People watching can be entertaining too.
Dress-wise, either go with the theme or stick to retro stuff. Some people there look amazing, some are a bit Ann Summers.
It's worth a try to see if you like it, I've had some excellent nights there. There are plenty of smaller scale burlesque shows in the city too.
delirium
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby delirium » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:40 pm

Sorry, I'm a bit behind the times in posting as the one you were probably intending to go too is past!
My goodness, Halloween tickets on sale already!
delirium
First Stripe
First Stripe

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants