Dodgy Pubs!!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby TEAMSANO » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:46 pm

has anyone ever experienced a small boozer on hope st. known as 'the 'alpine or alpenlodge?

i meandered in on a saturday crawl one day with a friend, only to discover what seemed like a timewarp clientle of which could only be described as 'ned pensioners' enjoying a very rowdy kareoke.

wasny threatening mind you, just very strange.
TEAMSANO
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:49 pm

TEAMSANO wrote:i meandered in on a saturday crawl one day with a friend, only to discover what seemed like a timewarp clientle

It was the same way the only time I was ever in there, a decade or more ago. Nice to see there are still constants.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:06 pm

TEAMSANO wrote:has anyone ever experienced a small boozer on hope st. known as 'the 'alpine or alpenlodge?

i meandered in on a saturday crawl one day with a friend, only to discover what seemed like a timewarp clientle of which could only be described as 'ned pensioners' enjoying a very rowdy kareoke.

Been in a few times. Last time me n a pal walked in an auld guy shouted "Watch yersels evrybdy, it's a teddy boys day oot!"
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Fri May 11, 2007 11:45 am

Sydney Rosewater wrote:
TEAMSANO wrote:has anyone ever experienced a small boozer on hope st. known as 'the 'alpine or alpenlodge?

Been in a few times. Last time me n a pal walked in an auld guy shouted "Watch yersels evrybdy, it's a teddy boys day oot!"

My good friend Wee Alec The Joiner was in there about a year ago with some of his building site mates. Apparently they got into conversation with some lassies, and for some reason the subject of body piercings was brought up. One of the girls mentioned she had a piercing in a rather intimate, sensitive spot. Of course, the lads demanded to see it ("gie's a swatch") as proof, and the girl shyly refused. After a wee while she excused herself and went to the Ladies. When she came back she offered her mobile phone to the guys, where the screen showed irrefutable proof of her claim. Much spluttering of foaming lager followed.
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Fri May 11, 2007 12:35 pm

Got to say Buchanans behind the st enoch center was the strangest pub ive ever been in.On entering most of the punters were either sleeping or in comas. A very confused old man told me that today day was the day when the world was ending. I finished my 49p vodka and coke and departed while I had the chance.
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Fri May 11, 2007 2:56 pm

@49p a half, I think I'd have just stay there
and waited for the four horsemen. :oops:
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Fri May 11, 2007 5:47 pm

good point mate may aswell go out happy.
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Thu May 17, 2007 11:08 pm

dougie79 wrote:Got to say Buchanans behind the st enoch center was the strangest pub ive ever been in.On entering most of the punters were either sleeping or in comas. A very confused old man told me that today day was the day when the world was ending. I finished my 49p vodka and coke and departed while I had the chance.

It's some gaff. Been in quite a lot though not for a month or two. A guy wae carrier bags dancin maniacaly to Queen in front of the juke box was a highlight.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby theduke » Thu May 17, 2007 11:19 pm

Was anyone ever in the Beacon on Prospecthill Circus? Now there was a dodgy pub! I was in once, funnily enough didn't go back ::):
Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come
theduke
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cozycoupe » Wed May 30, 2007 4:21 pm

::):
I was asked out mid 80's for a drink by this biker guy I worked with and he took me to Burns Howff. I was dressed like something out of Dallas and asked for a gin and tonic, plenty of ice....No tonic and No ice....hmmm
Back to Maxwell Plums and The Nile for me!!!
Cheers all
Cozy Coupe
cozycoupe
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Wed May 30, 2007 6:50 pm

Doc Lightning wrote:
escotregen wrote:A fatal stabbing, a gangland abduction from the premises and an ATM heist; all recent. Maybe... just maybe, we should add the Springcroft Brewers Fayre to our 'Dodgy' list? Of course only on the grounds that they use that stupid plastic title 'Brewers Fayre' :)
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5036771.html

Apart from all that, and the fact it's part of a chain, it's actually quite nice. I've been for a meal in there...

It has recently re-opened as the "Sizzling" Springcroft, i was in it for a meal just before it was refurbished and the food was rubbish!
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby b7ryn » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:34 am

..ahye, new name.. but the speciality is still Fish n' Chibs! :oops:
chum laugh
b7ryn
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:41 am

Had the pleasure of drinking in the hampden in govanhill/crosshill. Cheap drink but the punters are something else. Fight broke with two guys over a rather strange looking girl. I spent about half an hour trying to hold a guys smashed skull together, he ended up in the vic and at least I got a free pint out of it. Miss those rather interesting days.
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cowlairs road » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:48 am

. Turnstyles pub in parkhead isnt as dodgy as it looks, always good craic before a celtic game,
you are kidding i hope?
arent you?
slophouse pub and punters.
cowlairs road
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Doorstop » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:54 am

I was head steward in 'The Atlantis' in Clydebank for two years .. it doesn't get much more dodgy than that.

Like West Beirut .. with Buckfast.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants