Bridge to nowhere

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Bridge to nowhere

Postby urbainespion » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:44 pm

The 3rd Bridge to Nowhere - Waterloo Street (actually located on Bishop Lane)

"Aut disce aut discede" Anon.

Project Hawick: http://projecthawick.forumatic.com/index.php
urbainespion
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:55 pm

When did the unfinished cycle route take over the title of 'Bridge to nowhere'?

That's the Charing Cross bridge, whether or not it has subsequently been built on.

I'd put that into the same category as the Subway being referred to as the 'Clockwork Orange'.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby urbainespion » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:02 pm

Josef wrote:When did the unfinished cycle route take over the title of 'Bridge to nowhere'?

That's the Charing Cross bridge, whether or not it has subsequently been built on.

I'd put that into the same category as the Subway being referred to as the 'Clockwork Orange'.

It's a colloquialism. The 'Charing Cross Podium' is the official title of the first bridge. It's in a similar vein to the Stobcross Crane being called the Finnieston Crane.

urbainespion
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:08 pm

urbainespion wrote:
Josef wrote:When did the unfinished cycle route take over the title of 'Bridge to nowhere'?

It's a colloquialism. The 'Charing Cross Podium' is the official title of the first bridge. It's in a similar vein to the Stobcross Crane being called the Finnieston Crane.

Not disagreeing with that for one second. I was just pointing out that it's still called that, and I've never heard the term used to refer to the cycle path.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:31 pm

I don't think any sort of urban cycle route network as we know it now was in mind when the bridge, the one behind the flats behind what was the the Buttery was started but not completed.

When the possibility of Sustrans dosh came along the Bridge to Nowhere tag was a good marketing ploy for Glasgow's bid for the money. It's always been known locally as the Bridge to Nowhere and it became a point of local particularly when the Margaret Blackwood Housing Association opened their flats, designed and adapted to suit wheelchair users, on Argyle St between the TSB building and the Buttery.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:20 pm

The Egg Man wrote:

I don't think any sort of urban cycle route network as we know it now was in mind when the bridge, the one behind the flats behind what was the the Buttery was started but not completed.

When the possibility of Sustrans dosh came along the Bridge to Nowhere tag was a good marketing ploy for Glasgow's bid for the money. It's always been known locally as the Bridge to Nowhere and it became a point of local particularly when the Margaret Blackwood Housing Association opened their flats, designed and adapted to suit wheelchair users, on Argyle St between the TSB building and the Buttery.

Don't forget the other bridge sandwiched between 2 buildings. They finally popped a building on top of it. :roll:
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:35 pm

I thought the bridge with the building on top of it was the Charing Cross one. The "Bridge to Nowhere"(TM) is nearer Anderston, shurely?
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:42 pm

The 'Bridge to Nowhere ' is just north of Anderston train station and crosses North St en route towards Waterloo St passing over the carpark at the Marriott(?) Hotel in Argyle St.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:06 pm

The one at Waterloo Street is always crawling with smackheads. Tried to take a few photos one Sunday morning. Was particular nervous doing so. They all seem to be coming out of the shops (well it looks like shops) area.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:46 pm

Great photos. This bridge always facinated me. Amazing it'll be finished after over 40 years!
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:46 pm

Connect 2

Timescale

Much effort has gone into designing the route. We are now in the final stages.

The project is divided into phases:

• Phase 1A North Claremont St to Berkley St. - Completed
  • Phase 1B Elderslie St. - Completed
  • Phase 1C Argyle St. - Completed
  • Phase 2A M8 bridge - Started August 2012 - complete March 2013!
  • Phase 2B Waterloo St. to Central Station - complete March 2013!
  • Phase 3A Clydeside Expressway Bridge - complete March 2013!
  • Phase 3B North Street to NCN 75 link - Completed

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:04 pm

bAzTNM wrote:The one at Waterloo Street is always crawling with smackheads. Tried to take a few photos one Sunday morning. Was particular nervous doing so. They all seem to be coming out of the shops (well it looks like shops) area.

Do you ever get out around the city without seeing raving loonies, junkies, hermits or crazy Chinese triad types?

You could write for the Daily Mail.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby urbainespion » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:07 pm

yoker brian wrote:
bAzTNM wrote:The one at Waterloo Street is always crawling with smackheads. Tried to take a few photos one Sunday morning. Was particular nervous doing so. They all seem to be coming out of the shops (well it looks like shops) area.

Do you ever get out around the city without seeing raving loonies, junkies, hermits or crazy Chinese triad types?

You could write for the Daily Mail.

Par for the course in good ol' Glesga :wink:

urbainespion
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RDR » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:28 pm

Hmm! You seem to have a fatal attraction whenever you go anywhere.... 8O
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:43 pm

When I took these 41 years ago we thought we were going somewhere:-

Anderston, Glasgow, 1971 by neilmc_photos, on Flickr

Anderston, Glasgow, 1971 by neilmc_photos, on Flickr
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext