Hartwood Hospital

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Hartwood Hospital

Postby Ellis Island » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:25 pm

Went to Hartwood hospital last friday. Near Shotts, east of a village called Bonkle. Like so many other old mental institutions, this ones quite cool. Built in 1890 it's in very good nick (many surrounding buildings demolished though and entirely gone.). Area still in use for laundry purposes (!) but the boarding is new and seems to be a continual attempt at keeping it clean. There's also a small bowling green- i kid you not.
Better than the hospital is the nurses quarters, three/four storey C block down from the actual hospital- again in good nick. It's a dead cert it's being kept for development (can anybody say 'luxury flats'!)
On the practical side, i think its alarmed and the drainpipes are greased.
On the worth a peek side- it's >100 years old, the roofs intact and its out the way.... and it's currently vacant.
Go forth people, and conquer.
I never understood what 'No Entry' meant.
Ellis Island
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Hartwood - been there.

Postby turbozutek » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:06 pm

Hi !

We have explored the interior of the nurses block in great detail... I can send you some pics if you want.

Luxury flats the block is not because it's seriously badly covered in Asbestos !! Unfortunatly.

Now the twin towered hospital block is somewhere we didn't manage to get into.... But would very much like to! You might notice one of the towers isn't a clock but wind direction....

WHY !??? This place was never a TB Sanatorium was it ? That's the only use I can think of a wind direction indicator ???

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:36 pm

Lanarkshire TV used it for a while to broadcast for a while before it closed down. I was in their studio a couple of times, it was a bit of a dump inside.
I don't know what they are doing with it now.
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects