STRANGE SIGNS

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

STRANGE SIGNS

Postby ClockverkOrange » Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:04 pm

Signs have been mentioned or requested in other topics, so I thought it was about time we had a discussion point for posting about odd signs, notices and other text tucked away over the city!

For example:

In Merchant city there is a building which has a wealth of History and poetry engraved into the pavement and on plaques. Some of it is pretty beautiful and its all fairly interesting. I was just impressed to see all this poetry on the pavement! Mostly to do with the tobacco industry, but generally about the workers of 19th C. Glasgow.

Also - an unassuming little door sunk back from the pavement next to the 'Test n' Tune' garage just off the bottom end of Maryhill Road. The wall beside it bears the unusual and suspicious metal plaque reading:

"MINERVA OPERATIC CLUB"

Looking through the letterbox all I saw was a striplit, breezeblock corridor with a door at the end.

Any Clues?
Though Underearth and throneless now I be,
Yet while I lived all earth was under me.
ClockverkOrange
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby howlingq » Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:49 pm

The plaques on the pavement in the Merchant City are part of the ongoing "Signage and Gateways" project for the area attempting to create a greater awareness of the area. You have probably all seen now the signs in the arches at royal exchange square and also the new post at the start of the Trongate.

The plaques themselves were pretty cool to research, basically sitting in the archive of the Mitchell finding and verifying obscure and banal facts about the area. There were around 40 stories presented to the Merchant city people who commisioned the work but I am not sure how many there will be in the end.

My favourite which should appear on the new pavements oif the Trongate recounts the first gaslit shopfront which would attract young couple in the evening and become a focus for romantic encounters.
howlingq
Just settling in
Just settling in

Minerva Operatic Club

Postby duncan » Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:36 pm

duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects