30 Bothwell Street

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

30 Bothwell Street

Postby Dodgecaliber » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:59 pm

Hi all, Long time lurker, First time poster.

I've been doing a lot of work recently in 30 Bothwell Street in the city center (Madness Night Club)

From what I can gather the building was once a bank built in 1934, however I can't seem to find any more info about it!

Any help?

Oh and the gig im working on might be of intrest for anyone whos been affected by cancer, have a look here

www.togetherwecanbeatcancer.co.uk

Or PM me

Thanks all!
Dodgecaliber
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: 30 Bothwell Street

Postby floweredpig » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:07 pm

Try the Mitchell Library picture database which is available online,sorry i dont know how to post a link but all the photos are stored in an easy to locate order,it is an amazing building that.Welcome.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:16 pm

Long been a favourite of mine.

From Glasgow Pevsner,
James Miller destroyed the symmetry of Kirkland's [adjoining] composition in 1934-5 with the white ashlar pylon of his Commercial Bank (now Royal Bank of Scotland, No. 30). Classical frieze by Gilbert Bayes illustrating Commerce, Industry, Contentment, Wisdom, Prudence and Justice. Effective entrance, with Greek-Corinthian columns in antis against a screen of cast-iron and glass, to a banking hall fitted out by Scott Morton & Co.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Ronnie » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:42 pm

Historic Scotland says ...

James Miller, 1934. 4-storey modern classical bank, 3 x 7 bays. Portland stone, polished granite plinth forming stylobate. Entrance to Bothwell Street: giant order of distyle Greek fluted Corinthian columns in antis, fronting ground and mezzanine/1st floor. Bronze entrance doors and panels between ground and 1st floors. Relief sculpted frieze by Gilbert Bayes representing Industry, Commerce, Justice, Wisdom, Contentment, Providence; frieze broken by 2nd floor windows. Dentil cornice above. Tall attic storey: incised eaves frieze with Vitruvian scroll. All windows metal framed casements with geometric glazing pattern.
ELEVATION TO WELLINGTON STREET: 5 bays plain Doric fluted pilastrade, recessed glazing with bronze frieze between floors. Other details as Bothwell Street.
Notes: Formerly known as National Commercial Bank Building. Interior work executed by Scott Morton and Co.

http://hsewsf.sedsh.gov.uk/hslive/hsstart?P_HBNUM=32984
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:57 pm

Ronnie wrote:Historic Scotland says ...

James Miller, 1934. 4-storey modern classical bank, 3 x 7 bays. Portland stone, polished granite plinth forming stylobate. Entrance to Bothwell Street: giant order of distyle Greek fluted Corinthian columns in antis, fronting ground and mezzanine/1st floor. Bronze entrance doors and panels between ground and 1st floors. Relief sculpted frieze by Gilbert Bayes representing Industry, Commerce, Justice, Wisdom, Contentment, Providence; frieze broken by 2nd floor windows. Dentil cornice above. Tall attic storey: incised eaves frieze with Vitruvian scroll. All windows metal framed casements with geometric glazing pattern.
ELEVATION TO WELLINGTON STREET: 5 bays plain Doric fluted pilastrade, recessed glazing with bronze frieze between floors. Other details as Bothwell Street.
Notes: Formerly known as National Commercial Bank Building. Interior work executed by Scott Morton and Co.

http://hsewsf.sedsh.gov.uk/hslive/hsstart?P_HBNUM=32984

Fiona Sinclair called it 'pokey-eyed and powerful...one of the smallest and finest of a series of American -influenced commercial buildings in the city..it is thought that Miller...relied heavily on the assistance of Richard M. Gunn, a very able architect.'

Lovely building.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:10 am

It was an Italian Restaurant before it became Madness.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotsjock » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:57 am

owned by codonas of the travelling fairgrounds nowadays
here comes the rain again !
scotsjock
First Stripe
First Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects