Britannia Music Hall

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Fossil » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:01 pm

..for as long as I can remember the buildings been that light blue colour any idea what the original colour was? Or was it just you run o the mill sandstone...
-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby rosco » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:29 pm

The Modern Fossil wrote:..for as long as I can remember the buildings been that light blue colour any idea what the original colour was? Or was it just you run o the mill sandstone...
-Fossil-

As far as I know, it's just sandstone. Apparently, on the west-facing wall, the sandstone blocks are the wrong way round and are deteriorating quicker than they should be - yeah, they had cowboys even back then. It's quite soft, so the paint has thankfully protected much of it. Efforts will be made to repaint the facade once its restored. I'll confirm all that later in the week.

Only the first two stories are painted blue, the top subtly painted a greyer tone. No-one's found out why yet.
Always looking up...
rosco
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby rosco » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:22 pm

The facade is finished! Only neon signs to the shopfront and the external walls to the side and that's it for the exterior.

Always looking up...
rosco
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:34 pm

Rosco, Truly magnificent. 8)
Well Done :)
-Fossil-
Fossil
-
-

Postby DMcNay » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:18 pm

Looking good...... 8)
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:58 pm

The exterior is indeed looking lovely!

Can I be cheeky though and ask if there's any chance of you also doing a render of the exterior as it might have looked when the place was open as a theatre or cinema? There are a couple of photographic sources for that; it would be lovely to be able to see a before and after as it were!

:)

Gordon
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rosco » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:23 am

nodrog wrote:The exterior is indeed looking lovely!

Can I be cheeky though and ask if there's any chance of you also doing a render of the exterior as it might have looked when the place was open as a theatre or cinema? There are a couple of photographic sources for that; it would be lovely to be able to see a before and after as it were!

:)

Gordon

Not cheeky at all, in fact, I'll be doing a c.1938 shopfront while doing the interior. This will be my main reference photo. Although there is this and a 1915 view.

If anyone has any other photos of the building when it was in use, please let me know.
Always looking up...
rosco
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby dazza » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:58 am

I was going to suggest you did one with Britannia across the lower windows. I found a really good picture of it recently. Only problem is, i can't remember where.
dazza
-
-

Postby rosco » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:12 am

dazzababes wrote:I was going to suggest you did one with Britannia across the lower windows. I found a really good picture of it recently. Only problem is, i can't remember where.

Possibly the last link in my last post, dazza...
Always looking up...
rosco
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby bagpuss_thecat » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:29 am

I have some other photos of the Panopticon here. When I get back from my holidays, I'll get in touch with Judith and see if there's anything else that can be dug up.
bagpuss_thecat
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby rosco » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:24 pm

bagpuss_thecat wrote:I have some other photos of the Panopticon here. When I get back from my holidays, I'll get in touch with Judith and see if there's anything else that can be dug up.

I'll see Judith most of next week, so if anything needs dug up I'm sure we'll manage. Cheers though
Always looking up...
rosco
First Stripe
First Stripe

Brittania

Postby gap74 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:35 am

Here's a pic from a fairly recent article in the Friends of Historic Scotland magazine. Apologies for the lousy joining, I'm only a novice Photoshopper!

As indicated in the text, it seems to date from around 1900.

The fairly poor quality is due to the automatic resizing my picture hosting provider imposes on pics over 250k. I can provide full size scans if anyone is interested.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Brittania

Postby Fossil » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:24 am

gap74 wrote:Here's a pic from a fairly recent article in the Friends of Historic Scotland magazine. Apologies for the lousy joining, I'm only a novice Photoshopper!

As indicated in the text, it seems to date from around 1900.

The fairly poor quality is due to the automatic resizing my picture hosting provider imposes on pics over 250k. I can provide full size scans if anyone is interested.

Gary

Gap74 E mail me each picture in seperate e mails

-Fossil-
Fossil
-
-

Brittania

Postby gap74 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:09 am

Just about to head off to work, Foss, will email the ful size scans tonight when I get in - will be well impressed if you can disguise the join, it's in a really horrible deep part of the page join!

By the way, my photo hoster (photobucket) is having probs, so my pics probably will come and go over the next few days.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:15 pm

Gap How big are the files?

F
Fossil
-
-

PreviousNext