Postby cell » Sat May 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Nice pictures Ben!
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Power Stations & Electricity Generation in Glasgow

Postby David Fife » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:02 am

Hello Cell et al,

Fascinating to have stumbled upon this discussion board on Power Stations & Electricity Generation in Glasgow; heaven knows how I haven't found it in previous web searches. I too share an interest in teh history of electricity generation and transmission, indeed, I have spent most of my working life running generating plant.

While the topic is clearly particular to Glasgow, I note that in the first post you say that you have information on former power stations throughout Scotland. The particulars of two stations in Fife have proven difficult to come by: Kelty (Aitken) Power Station of the Fife Coal Company (latterly in SSEB ownership), and; the former Kirkcaldy Corporation's power station. Would you happen to have any details of these.

Particularly liked the 1955 aerial view of Clydes Mill. I understand that this sation claimed to have the longest turbine hall in Europe at the time of its post war extension.

I have plenty of technical details (and photographs) for numerous plants, including industrial concerns, so I'd imagine that we'll find plenty more to discuss.

Regards from Fife.
David Fife
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby cell » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback, always glad to see some pictures, it might be worth starting a new thread over on the “Around the World” thread, who knows it might flush out some other stuff.

I've sent you some stuff on these stations, check your PMs
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:46 pm

old clydesmill site is to used as a training centre for Strathclyde fire and rescue
http://www.buildscotland.co.uk/construction_news.asp?newsid=105417
work starts later this month
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:22 pm

St Andrews (Also called Pollokshaws Rd), Opened 1899 by Glasgow Corporation Electricity Department, Closed 1922 by Glasgow Corporation Electricity Department, Largest size 24MW. Much of the building is still there.

You know, I've looked at photos of that tenement many times. I noticed the 'penthouse type thingy in the 'present' photo and wondered when it had been added, then I looked at the 'past' photo....... 8O

What is it Sharon says.....Look and look again.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:20 pm

Off topic but (soon probably) if someone attempts to retake that shot there will be a motorway winging it's way through in the background. Sorry it's been some time since I was at Eglinton Toll so I'm not sure what stage it's all at. A belter of a before and after.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:31 pm

...one of those tower blocks peering 'round the left end of the building was dooned shortly after the photo was taken.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peasy23 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:33 pm

Dave wrote:Off topic but (soon probably) if someone attempts to retake that shot there will be a motorway winging it's way through in the background. Sorry it's been some time since I was at Eglinton Toll so I'm not sure what stage it's all at. A belter of a before and after.

You won't see a great deal of the new motorway from that position, the new flyover runs on the far side of the St. Andrews works from there. If you click on the link you can see the bridge supports just where it says "Eglinton Street Railway Station"

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=55.845301,-4.260292&spn=0.006409,0.021136&t=h&z=16
peasy23
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby peasy23 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:38 pm

CELL - As far as I know, Polmadie never produced electricity, I've worked there for nigh on 23 years and AFAIK the only refuse depot that ever generated leccy was the original Govan depot in Craigton Road.
peasy23
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby myfriendstan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:57 am

Waterloo St Power Station as boutique hotel!

:(
myfriendstan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cell » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:46 pm

Thanks Peasy, I’ll score that one of my list, I had these ones of Govan up on another thread but I thought I’d add them here for completeness, I think Partick was originally set up to burn rubbish as well.

These are from the Mitchell to this thread, for those of you who don't know this is now the site of the big ASDA in Govan. When electricity generation started here in 1930, there were two 5MW turbo alternators which were connected into the grid as well as charging the batteries of the ghost trains. There is a very detailed 6 page article on the whole site in the March 1930 Scottish Electrical Engineer magazine which you can get in the Mitchell if anyone is interested. I presume Govan was closed around the time that Polmadie was opened. Does anyone know when Govan stopped generation and if it was the same time as it was closed?

On the Waterloo St Hotel Personally I think it’s good if alternative uses can be found for old industrial buildings, hope they acknowledge its past use. However I think it will be a while before anyone converts the old St Andrews station into a hotel!
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peasy23 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Cell, I started in the council in August 1987, and although we would be working at Polmadie we were taken round the other 3 depots (Govan, Dawsholm and Easter Queenslie) as part of our induction. At that time the incinerator at Govan was still in use, but I have no idea when it would have stopped producing electricity. We were taken right into the main part of the incinerator where the guys would hide behind a large perspex shield and stoke the rubbish as it burned, the reason for hiding was that they would maybe disturb a pocket of gas as they moved the rubbish around which would ignite with a large flash. The workshop closed in 1989 I think, with the whole complex wound down and closed soon after.

Polmadie was built in the 50's, this I know as one of the guys in my bowling club laid the concrete floors in the workshops and the other buildings, and one of my now former tradesmen worked on the construction as an electrician.
peasy23
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:13 pm

myfriendstan wrote:http://i48.tinypic.com/30j3295.jpg

You seem upset, it sat on the verge of dereliction for long enough at least the new owners are going to keep the facade and put the building to use.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby myfriendstan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:02 am

Dave wrote:
myfriendstan wrote:http://i48.tinypic.com/30j3295.jpg

You seem upset, it sat on the verge of dereliction for long enough at least the new owners are going to keep the facade and put the building to use.

Worked in there for 16 years.
myfriendstan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:21 am

cell wrote:Thanks Peasy, I’ll score that one of my list, I had these ones of Govan up on another thread but I thought I’d add them here for completeness, I think Partick was originally set up to burn rubbish as well.

These are from the Mitchell to this thread, for those of you who don't know this is now the site of the big ASDA in Govan. When electricity generation started here in 1930, there were two 5MW turbo alternators which were connected into the grid as well as charging the batteries of the ghost trains. There is a very detailed 6 page article on the whole site in the March 1930 Scottish Electrical Engineer magazine which you can get in the Mitchell if anyone is interested. I presume Govan was closed around the time that Polmadie was opened. Does anyone know when Govan stopped generation and if it was the same time as it was closed?

I think Govan (Ibrox) Power Station was a Cleansing Depot from many years without generating electricity before it closed. I think it was still open until the 1990's.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects