Old Bottles

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Old Bottles

Postby myfriendstan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:03 am

Sio wrote:Hi Guys I live in Trinidad, Caribbean and was given a old vessel by my father in law that got this from his grandfather...made by fossil pottery for Richard Smith's executors ltd. Acid makers. The vessel is approximately 20" tall and 2-3 gallons. Does anyone know the acid that was in it?

Will post a picture soon, as I have not seen it on the forum

It's unusual

Simon

Buckfast.
myfriendstan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:40 am

Sio wrote:Hi Guys I live in Trinidad, Caribbean and was given a old vessel by my father in law that got this from his grandfather...made by fossil pottery for Richard Smith's executors ltd. Acid makers. The vessel is approximately 20" tall and 2-3 gallons. Does anyone know the acid that was in it?

Will post a picture soon, as I have not seen it on the forum

It's unusual

Simon

Hi Simon,

once we get the early morning jakies back to their hostel one of our experts will probably come up with a response that you might be interested in. Welcome to HG and stick around.

Thanks for your post. I
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:32 am

I trust Dex isn't referring to the HG contingent who went to the 'Old Glasgow Pubs' lecture last night and then went for some practical experience afterwards.

The National Register of Archives for Scotland have this information on Richard Smith Ltd, chemical manufacturers

Looks like a fairly comprehensive set of records, but they're not available online, so you'd have to contact them.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Nobby » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:47 am

I remember being a dinner guest in Exeter, about 20 years ago, and being offered a pre-drink whisky. I was much obliged until I saw it was a bottle of White Horse. (Oh, the memories of abusing quarter bottles of cheaper blends during my youth !)

And it was brilliant. Turned out the bottle was inherited on the death of my host's father and was dated to between the wars. Bottle even came complete with orginal cork ! I've only since realised that White Horse was the first whisky brand to move from corks to screw caps. Meaning the bottle I was drinking must have been pre-1925(?) and so would have had fully 65 years bottle age on it before we started drinking it.

Any whisky bottles out there without screw caps, and you know they are likely to be pretty old.
Nobby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby fourbytwo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:40 pm

Strange to think about it now....
About 25 years ago, when you could fish and expect to catch at least one, in the Clyde, we, used to dig worms along the Helensburgh coastline.
I remember on a few occasions digging a low tide at the old Craigandoran Pier and moving to the very end of the remnants of the pier and finding that there was a very large pile of bottles, of course many were smashed, but there were a lot intact, and I did take about 5 home.
Cleaning them up to find 3 stone bottles and 2 frosted glass bottles, all with the stone stoppers intact, I gave them to a family friend who collected such trivia.
I don't think anyone has ever been back to actually explore the site, and I assume that it may have been a dump by either the steamers or even a local dump, one thing was certain.....the bottles I brought home were about the 1920's, as similar were seen some years later in museums........
I wonder if in fact anyone has ever re-disovered that source, or if it has dissappeared along with the remains of the old pier....?
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Kortesas » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:29 pm

Hello,
maybe someone want these bottles?
http://www.part.lt/perziura/8bf1f36074d ... 106788.JPG
I have them in Ottershaw, Surrey. One of them is Woodward.
Kortesas
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby MissRose » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:43 pm

During our home remodel here in Oakland CA, we are finding old bottles hidden in the walls and ceiling. Most are old glass bottles but this one has peaked our interest.
It is cream and brown pottery with a stamp that I think reads: Glasgow. Anyone able to tell us the possible history of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MissRose
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby mjw » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:24 am

Can you make out what the top word is in the imprint? that'll be the bottle manufacturer, try an online search of that name, as for usage I'm sure someone else will put you right but maybe it was a ginger beer bottle
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby neilmc » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:25 pm

A nice old Johnnie Walker Black Label bottle in the middle there, and I'm intrigued by "Macdonald's Highland Malt Whisky": somehow I get the impression it was not distilled in Scotland...

Correction: I can just make out 'Leith' when I enlarge the photo, so could be Roderick Macdonald, of Macdonald & Muir Ltd. (Google search).
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MissRose » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:26 pm

No I'm unable to make out the top word in the imprint.
Glasgow on the bottom and looks like an oval shape.
Thank you for response.
We have three more rooms to open up the ceilings and remove more bottles.
MissRose
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby MissRose » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:34 pm

We are pretty sure most if not all these bottles are not USA produced. This house was built during our country's prohibition period, all alcohol was illeagal!!
Theory is; home builders hid the bottles (for a small price) in the ceilings of homes being built. I'm afraid we will end up with 100 bottles that I don't want to keep but don't want to throw out.
MissRose
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby banjo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:39 am

I just found five full bottles of beer from around the world.eleven years out of date though.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:04 am

banjo wrote:I just found five full bottles of beer from around the world.eleven years out of date though.

Any chance of a photo?

SCWS milk bottle, found under the floorboards of a 1930s-built house...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects