WANTED!! Ideas for new projects....

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby cataclyzm » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:59 am

hi,

Yes, it is interesting and probably one of the areas that has seen the most changes.

robert
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:13 am

I'm sort of cadging this idea from John, but I think it'd be a great project to collect shots of as many of Glasgow's surviving tram wire rosettes as we can find. They're ornate metal hooks that you often see attached to walls at about the same height as street signs, viz:

They're a link to the past that's essentially hidden in plain sight, and they're all over the city.
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:14 am

Great idea :) Get on it folks.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cataclyzm » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:13 pm

I had absolutely no idea that's what they were. But my eye has always been drawn to them as they seem to be so much a part of the building.

They are beautiful and sometimes I think there is a kindness in making a practical object as intricate and beautiful as those rosettes. They seem almost precious.

There must be thousands all over the city.

I would imagine they'd be pretty well rooted into the building. I can't believe I didn't know they were tram hooks (now you can't buy those in poundstretchers). Just as well they're fixed in place or they'd have taken those out as well no doubt.

robert.
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:39 pm

potatojunkie wrote:They're a link to the past that's essentially hidden in plain sight, and they're all over the city.

cataclyzm wrote:They are beautiful and sometimes I think there is a kindness in making a practical object as intricate and beautiful as those rosettes. They seem almost precious.

Beautifuly put, gentlemen, I've had the same thoughts on many occasions.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:33 pm

cataclyzm wrote:I had absolutely no idea that's what they were. But my eye has always been drawn to them as they seem to be so much a part of the building.

robert.

I had the good fortune of knowing what they were as my mum was a Clippie when I was a nipper :wink: and she used to point them out to me. Paisley Road Toll is awash with them. AAAAAH Memories ::):
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby doonunda » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:59 am

I've searched a few times looking for a thread dedicated to 602 City of Glasgow squadron. I've got some information and pics that I've gathered from the net, which I would like to put up to start the ball rolling on the subject.

what do you think?
Last edited by doonunda on Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
doonunda
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:07 pm

doonunda wrote:I've searched a few times looking for a thread dedicated to 602 City of Glasgow squadron. I've got some information and pics that I've gathered from the net, which I would like to put up to start the ball rolling on the subject.

what do you think?

Why not add it to the exisiting Bombs over Glasgow in WW2 thread. It's relevant and keeps the quality subject matter all in the one place. 8)
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby brickwall » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:19 pm

Howz about photographing the whole length of Great Western Road or similar? It could be done over along period of time. Just a thought to help spark folk brains.
Or how about famous, infamous or 'well known in their day' Glasgow folk ?Perhaps with a wee bit of blurb about what they did? Even if they were just known locally......
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:34 pm

brickwall wrote:Howz about photographing the whole length of Great Western Road or similar? It could be done over along period of time. Just a thought to help spark folk brains.

I like that idea :) A photographic record of every major street along their entire length. Future HG type folk will thank us for that.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:37 am

It'd be nice to have a complete record of the mosaic bollards that block off most of the streets joining Great Western Road to Woodlands Road, while a few of the plaques on them are still intact. I've noticed that a lot of them are missing.

Also, how about communal private gardens? Dowanhill/Hyndland is hoaching with them, and there are a fair few round here. Not sure how long they'll last when people realise that you could probably cram another couple of houses in there …
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:41 pm

Monkey Puzzle trees? There can't be all that many.

Just-a-tawt!
PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:06 pm

Peekay wrote:Monkey Puzzle trees? There can't be all that many.
I love monkey puzzle trees. Just don't stand under them when they are dropping seeds, though.

We saw a sapling in someone's front garden in Hamilton a few weeks ago. First time I had ever seen a wee one, I think.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:10 pm

josef
First time I had ever seen a wee one, I think.

8O
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:14 pm

scaryman2u wrote:
josef
First time I had ever seen a wee one, I think.

8O
Oops, didn't mean to boast.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects