tunnels

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: tunnels

Postby old jock » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi Gerry & welcome

Nice picture, at first it confused me. If I have it correct that's quite a short tunnel under St Vincent Crescent the street on the left is Corunna St.

Going North, the tunnel goes under the crescent and then there is a short open section that can be seen from St Vincent Crescent Lane, the line then goes into a long tunnel and exits under the Eldon St bridge at the park and ride near Kelvinbridge underground station.

Part of the Caledonian Stobcross to Maryhill line, taking in Kelvinbridge, Botanics, and Kirklee stations along the way before going into Maryhill where the shopping centre is (if I have it correct).

See earlier in the thread about when the Kelvin flooded near Kelvinside underground and that tunnel re-routed some of the Kelvin onto the (in service) Central line. I was talking to a mate who works in Hidden Lane and he remembers it, he heard this roaring, looked over the wall and said the line had become a white water rafter's dream.

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:48 pm

Very interesting pic Gerry. Thank you.

The Mr C Forman mentioned in the caption: wasn't he instrumental in the building of the West Highland Line, and one of the party 'lost on Rannoch Moor' mentioned in John Thomas' book?
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gerry_R » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:24 am

Thanks John, Maco, Mr Sam,

John, I've been interested in that tunnel for some time as I pass it almost everyday on the train to/from work and I have read a lot of the older threads on the 1994 tunnel, I remember being quite inconvenienced at the time as I worked in Waterloo Street and hated walking down from Queen Street for several months.

John, the line of the tunnel I know quite well especially, as after the line left Maryhill Station it runs under the Canal at the back of Chapel Street into the Tamshill Tunnel (both portals i believe are filled in) and then crossed the current Anniesland to Queen St line and up to the old Possil Train Station (which I can see from where I am right now as it's next door to the Scottish Water offices on Balmore Road where I work)

Maco, I found the pic when reading up on Mr J Wolfe Barry who's most famous work is Tower Bridge in London.

I'm Looking forward to more interesting discussion on railways / tunnels etc

Gerry
I don't have a drink problem! I drink, get drunk, fall down - no problem!
Gerry_R
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby old jock » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:49 pm

Gerry on page 3 of this thread James posted up some OS maps with tunnel locations marked. I took the one for the west end and placed it on Google earth as an overlay. Although my positioning is not perfect it lines up pretty well with locations of the tunnel portals I know of.

It has now given me a really good idea of where to search for the others too. Looks like the west portal of Tamshill is covered but the eastern end near Currie St might still be accessible

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Gerry_R » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:44 pm

Anyone else notice that there's some work going on in the St Vincent Crescent tunnel in the last week or so? Spotted some heavy machinery when passing on the train last week heading to queen street.
Gerry_R
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby mrsam » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:59 pm

as a flood defence they have ripped up the bridge of the partick to charring cross .line and replaced it with an embankment also tidying has been done to the cutting

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:27 pm

Gerry_R wrote:Anyone else notice that there's some work going on in the St Vincent Crescent tunnel in the last week or so? Spotted some heavy machinery when passing on the train last week heading to queen street.

Yes, there is building work going on at the site. I was down at Minerva Way this morning and saw steelwork removed from the tunnel stacked by the side of the road. You can see massive wooden sockets at each end of the beams. I would like to think that these are the beams shown in the earlier photo, but I'm not sure as there is reinforcing bar and concrete?

St Vincent Crescent Tunnel steelwork 1 by vinegartom40, on Flickr

St Vincent Crescent Tunnel steelwork 2 by vinegartom40, on Flickr

St Vincent Crescent Tunnel steelwork 3 by vinegartom40, on Flickr

St Vincent Crescent Tunnel steelwork 4 by vinegartom40, on Flickr

St Vincent Crescent Tunnel steelwork 5 by vinegartom40, on Flickr

St Vincent Crescent Tunnel steelwork 6 by vinegartom40, on Flickr

St Vincent Crescent Tunnel steelwork 7 by vinegartom40, on Flickr
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:24 pm

Well caught. That's something you don't see every day.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Gerry_R » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:36 am

Cheers guys Thanks,

I'll need to take a closer look myself to see if indeed these were the metal beams (some sort of support structure I'd assume). Seems to be quite a lot of work being done in the abandoned tunnels these days.

Gerry
Gerry_R
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: A Street Under Argyle Street

Postby billtkd » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:31 pm

I have noticed what appears to be a tunnel under the western end of Argyle Street, just east of Corunna Street, behind Cafe Bayan. Have a look at the 3D view on Bing Maps or Google Maps on an iPAD.
billtkd
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:13 pm

billtkd wrote:I have noticed what appears to be a tunnel under the western end of Argyle Street, just east of Corunna Street, behind Cafe Bayan. Have a look at the 3D view on Bing Maps or Google Maps on an iPAD.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11841&hilit=finnieston
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby billtkd » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:28 pm

I’ve found out something about tunner emerging between Argyle St and Minerva Way. It's from the the Botanic Gardens Station.

The line from Botanic Gardens went under Great Western Road and turned south at Kelvin Bridge and went under Kelvingrove Park and across what is now Argyle St but used to be part of Dumbarton Rd. The tunnel emerges just south of Argyle St and just east of Corunna St, behind Café Bayan. It swings south and east, crosses the existing line from Charing Cross Station and goes back underground between St Vincent Cr and Minerva Way. It then went under Stobcross St (now the Clydeside Expressway) and Argyle St, presumably merging with the current line under Argyle St.
billtkd
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby old jock » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:10 am

bilktd

Look at the "tunnels" thread

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69&start=375 GerryR posted a great pic on there. Also go back to page 3 James posted up OS maps marked up with the tunnels. You can overlay them onto Google Earth and see where the tunnel portals are. They are very accurate and if you want to go railway tunnel hunting a lot are still there but not all

You'll also see that this line is under development and the bridge that the live line runs over has been removed and the live line now is sitting on a firmer foundation. As Mr Sam said part of flood prevention as that tunnel was responsible for routing the Kelvin from Kelvinbridge at Gt Western Rd down to Exhibition Center station.

If you search you'll find the photos

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby billtkd » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:38 pm

I suspected some of you guys would know already but I am new to the group. I couldn't quite make out the tunnel on the aerial photos. I've been in the tunnel but I'll say more on the tunnel thread...
billtkd
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby billtkd » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:21 pm

Great photo of the St Vincent Terrace part of the tunnel. I have only just come across that and the part that opens out behind Café Bayan, just east of Corunna St. I couldn't quite make out the details on the aerial pictures but I realise that I 'discovered' this 39 years ago.

When I was a student, I spent more time in the maps section of Glasgow Uni library than was good for my studies. I was living in Queen Margaret Hall (Bellshaugh Rd) and walked to Uni through the Botanic Gardens. The 1896 map showed a station and I thought "What station?". When I walked back through the gardens, it was overgrown and I pushed my way through a lot of rhododendron until I saw down in the station. None of it was cleared back then and there were no plaques (that I noticed) to commemorate it.

I had checked where the tunnel entrance was so some mates and I got torches and went in. That was before the the council closed it off. We went all the way through to the staton. We had heard that it went all the way to Central Sation and considered trying it but chickened out. Just as well. The tunnel was prone to subsidence and it was rumoured that a few winos disappeared down the holes every year.

The tunnel first re-surfaces at Kelvinbridge and there are some great pictures at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvinbrid ... ay_station. I was surprised to find that the line and station only closed in 1964.
billtkd
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects