Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Postby dimairt » Sun May 18, 2008 4:50 pm

The Trixons featuring Maggie Bell.

Le durachd,

Eddy

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue May 20, 2008 5:47 pm

PaulK wrote: Remember the Doune Castle and Burns Howf where the big band of the day in the early seventies were Chou Pahrot.

Nice! Been trying to find out about this band for a while, but an interweb search wasn't happening on account of not knowing the spelling. Within minutes had their live album on MP3 :D
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu May 22, 2008 8:52 pm

Freddie Mack

AKA Mr. Superbad
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Riotgrrl » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:25 pm

The Horseshoe Bar and Travis - they used to rehearse in a room above the pub, and now the pub displays their Gold disks.

OK, so Travis are a bit Gran-rock, but surely the Horseshoe deserves a menshie in any list of rock and roll-related places in Glasgow?
International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gerry » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:00 am

Clive’s Incredible Folk Club
134 Sauchiehall Street

This legendary venue ran for a few weeks between March and April of 1966 on the 4th floor of 134 Sauchiehall Street and gave its name and a first performance platform to The Incredible String Band. Who, depending on your personal musical preferences, were either the most influential band Scotland has ever produced or a couple of spaced out tuneless hippies. Or possibly both.
The club was organised by band member Clive Palmer who didn’t survive with them past their first album. This was possibly because by the time they came to record their second he was slammed up in Barlinnie enjoying the distinction of being the first person in Scotland to be busted for LSD possession.
The MC was Hamish Imlach and it featured in its short life Matt McGinn, Alex Campbell, Davy Graham and Bert Jansch as well as Clive with fellow ISB members Mike Heron and Robin Williamson. A young Billy Connolly was resident on autoharp before he became famous as a banjo player and a chap called Ian McGeachy used to come along to sit on the front row and watch the masters at work. He later changed his name to John Martyn and became quite good on guitar.
The site is now the location of the Savoy Centre and I believe that only the façade remains of the original building that stood there in the 60s. Does anyone have any information on this?
gerry
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby gerry » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:08 am

PaulK wrote:Talk of Martin Cotter, the Bain brothers and The Bachelor pad leads me inevitably to the Greek Taverna, haunt of many southside musos. Anyone got any memories of this. I was a bit of a hanger on, non musician but big fan of , among others, The Kissing bandits. Recently found a download link to some of their music, if I find it again I'll post it. Remember the Doune Castle and Burns Howf where the big band of the day in the early seventies were Chou Pahrot.

How do you pronounce that? Choo Parroo or Chow Parrot?
gerry
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:11 am

gerry wrote:
How do you pronounce that? Choo Parroo or Chow Parrot?

It depends on how pretentious you want to sound. Most fans called them Chow Parrot, others choo parrow

Thanks for the info on the folk club. I've heard of it but did not know where it was in Sauchiehall Street.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alasdair » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:05 pm

What about Belle and Sebastian- last of the West End bohemians? Their early videos were filmed in the lanes of Dowanhill and Kelvinbridge.

Also a whole range of musicians who performed in Stereo when it was in Kelvinhaugh Street- including a very early Pete Doherty solo gig, and countless Foxface/Idlewild/Frightened Rabbit/everyone gigs. It's now a wine bar.
Alasdair
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:06 pm

Last time I was in 78 it did a range of organic ciders, Sam Smith's lager and on a thursday night vegan curries cooked and served by Mungo's Hi Fi.

So maybe more than a wine bar.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:05 pm

The Savoy Centre is where the Gaumont Cinema used to be. Seems unlikely that the Incredible Folk club was there, I seem to remember it being further down Sauchiehall St. , somewhere in the building between West Nile St and Buchanan St.
I'll check with a old ISB fan who did go there; I saw Robin and Mike many times but not at this venue.
Gerry wrote: "Who, depending on your personal musical preferences, were either the most influential band Scotland has ever produced or a couple of spaced out tuneless hippies. Or possibly both."
I vote for both especially with Rose and Licorice in the band.

[url][Image/url]

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gerry » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:31 pm

>The Savoy Centre is where the Gaumont Cinema used to be. Seems unlikely that the Incredible Folk club was there, I seem to remember it being further down Sauchiehall St. , somewhere in the building between West Nile St and Buchanan St.

The Incredible String Band Yahoo Group (yes, there really are people that sad) has done a wee bit of research on this over the past couple of years and after a few false starts have established that it was definitely at 134 Sucky St. I have scans of a couple of membership cards with the address but haven't yet figured out how to post them here.
For further confirmation check out Empty Pocket Blues - The Life and Music of Clive Palmer by Grahame Hood, Be Glad- an ISB Compendium edited by Adrian Whittaker and Dazzling Stranger-Bert Jansch and the British Folk and Blues Revival by Colin Harper.

>I'll check with a old ISB fan who did go there; I saw Robin and Mike many times but not at this venue.

You may be thinking of the Glasgow Folk Centre which was a more regular venue for them. Not sure where that was but probably somewhere off George Square. I'd appreciate any information on that.

>Gerry wrote: "Who, depending on your personal musical preferences, were either the most influential band Scotland has ever produced or a couple of spaced out tuneless hippies. Or possibly both."
I vote for both especially with Rose and Licorice in the band.

Well, I have to declare an interest. I think that they were the most influential band Scotland has ever produced but they spent so much time tuning up between songs that they couldn't possibly have been out of tune when they finally got round to playing a tune.
gerry
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:13 am

Unreliable memories

from John Martyn: Grace & Danger
By Lee Barry

None of the Glasgow clubs had a fire license. They were not required and did not exist till the late sixties and clubs like the Picasso closed and the Maryland went legit.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:26 am

[quote="gerry..................
You may be thinking of the Glasgow Folk Centre which was a more regular venue for them. Not sure where that was but probably somewhere off George Square. I'd appreciate any information on that.

............................[/quote]

The Glasgow Folk Centre was in Montrose Street and was organised by a chap called Drew Moyes. GFC is said to have been Christy Moore's first Scottish gig.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:05 am

Good point from Dex about 'unreliable memories', mine included. I had a quick look at the link to 'Grace and Danger' and found loads of errors e.g "Les Brown.... was completely unknown and never recorded."
Introduced to him by the ISB fan refered to earlier (by the way Dex, it was Colin Sinclair, remember him?) I saw Les play and bought his LP, 'Scandalise My Name.'
He was a fine player whose repertoire included 'Kelvingrove' and ' Be Bop a Lula.' I last saw him at the old Cottage Theatre in Cumbernauld in the late 1970s- the audience consisted largely of other guitar pickers.

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:42 am

onyirtodd wrote:
The Glasgow Folk Centre was in Montrose Street and was organised by a chap called Drew Moyes. GFC is said to have been Christy Moore's first Scottish gig.

Anyone seeking a fuller pcture of the burgeoning Glasgow folk scene in the 50s and 60s should track down Ewan McVicar's excellent One Singer One Song with illustrations by John Gahagan (ex-Battlefield Band) ISBN 13: 9780906169315 published by Glasgow City Libraries in 1990.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects