Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:43 pm

Good book but unfortunately Ewan was out of Scotland between 1961 and 67 so no help on where Clive's club was.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PaulK » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:28 am

Seems to me there has been no mention of String Driven Thing here, a bunch of Glasgow hippies who almost had a hit record and who were eventually covered by the Bay City Rollers! Their website http://www.stringdriventhing.com/ has some photos from the early seventies, bit too late to fit in with the ISB threads but Chris Adams, leader of the band was roaming around Glasgow in the late sixties.
PaulK
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:05 am

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Riotgrrl » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Anyone else see Glasvegas at the ABC last night? Fan-ing-tastic. Definitely on their way to the mythical Glasgow's Rock & Roll Hall of Fame!
International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mark N » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:16 pm

Riotgrrl wrote:Anyone else see Glasvegas at the ABC last night? Fan-ing-tastic. Definitely on their way to the mythical Glasgow's Rock & Roll Hall of Fame!

No. I only found out about it after they'd sold out :cry: :cry:

My Glasvegas T-Shirt came in the post today though :D
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Riotgrrl » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:38 pm

Mark N wrote:
Riotgrrl wrote:Anyone else see Glasvegas at the ABC last night? Fan-ing-tastic. Definitely on their way to the mythical Glasgow's Rock & Roll Hall of Fame!

No. I only found out about it after they'd sold out :cry: :cry:

My Glasvegas T-Shirt came in the post today though :D

I purchased a smart and environmentally friendly tote bag myself last night at the gig. Amazing. Whole audience word perfect on songs that have never been officially released. 'Go Square Go' was totally mental. Brilliant. Only problem was the gig was just far too short - only about an hour.

And they did 'Flowers and Fitba Taps', which is the song about the murder of Kriss Donald written from the viewpoint of his mother hearing about her son's death, and I can't really listen to that song without getting upset.
International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dimairt » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:28 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:
The Glasgow Folk Centre was in Montrose Street and was organised by a chap called Drew Moyes. GFC is said to have been Christy Moore's first Scottish gig.

Interviewed in the July edition of 'The Word', John Martyn says:

"The main venue we went to was the Humblebums' club, the Glasgow Folk Centre, which was run by these guys Drew and Alan. It was on the fourth floor at the top of a warehouse at 13 Montrose St. It would be full of people - it wasn't a huge place but you'd get 60-odd in there most nights."

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gerry » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:19 pm

from John Martyn: Grace & Danger
By Lee Barry

None of the Glasgow clubs had a fire license. They were not required and did not exist till the late sixties and clubs like the Picasso closed and the Maryland went legit.

I noticed a reference in this to a Glasgow "Folk Bar" called the Hangman's Rest. I've never heard of it. Anyone have any information on it?

Cheers,
Gerry
gerry
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:56 pm

Charlie Baird was the secretary of the Glasgow Anarchist Group. We held business meetings in the hall in Wilson Street, ironically adjacent to the pub called 'The Hangman's Rest'.
Robert Lynn

http://www.citystrolls.com/people/sections/lifestory.htm

clayton-moore on 8:41am Sun 24 Jun 07 The Sunday Herald
I must have heard "the smoky room" joke about a thousand times from both Catholics and Protestants. I first heard it, over 40 years ago,from the Irish bar owner of the "Hangman's Rest" by the old fruit market,he used to say it at least once a week.

http://www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk/hangmans.html

and of course if you had used the search button you would have found it here
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:04 pm

I've attached a couple of the photos that I got from my Aunt Carol just last week. They show my late uncle, Willie Rennie, on stage at Barrowland in the 1960s. He played in various bands in venues in Glasgow, and beyond, from the early 60s until his passing last year.
I got lots of snaps but can't identify the venues, though I'm sure some are from Germany where he played in 1963/4.
I've also added one of his snaps of Sinatra at Ibrox in 1990. Not r'n'r I know but hey, it's Frank Sinatra. More to come.

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Synchro » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:13 pm

Great thread this!

The Big Day in 1990, I was there - started off in George Square - off the top of my head I saw Slide, Hothouse Flowers, Kevin McDermott Orchestra, Wet Wet Wet, Sharleen Spiteri. Later on I went to Glasgow Green and saw Sheena Easton get bottled off ::): , Big Country and the set closed by Deacon Blue.

Deacon Blue's excellent "Raintown" album has a panoramic rooftop view over Glasgow with the Finnieston Crane visible in the background.

Kevin McDermott is still going strong these days with a new album out now, him and his brother Jim went to a school in Maryhill I think.

The Cava Studios in Kelvingrove saw some great recordings:

This move really lit the touch paper at Ca Va, as the UK music business spotlight was firmly focused on Glasgow and Ca Va was there at the right time and the right place with the right studio and engineers. Our first top 10 hit was Hue & Cry's " Labour of Love " single reaching no.6 in April, 1987. This was the start of a run with bands such as The Silencers, Texas, Wet ! Wet ! Wet !, Deacon Blue, Capercaillie, The Highlanders and Love & Money recording at Ca Va through the late 80's and into the 90's. To cope with the onslaught Ca Va pushed the boat out again and bought a new Amek G2520 console in 1987 with 48 channels, thus allowing 48 track recording with the purchase of another MCI JH-24 recorder and lots more toys.

http://www.cavastudios.co.uk/

I went to see the Manic Street Preachers at the Mayfair (now the Garage) in 1992, when there was still 4 of them - superb gig, James Dean Bradfield nearly got hit with a pint and threatened the culprit with a Les Paul over their head ::):

My sister went to see Adam and the Ants at the Apollo, musta been late 70's - 1980 on the Prince Charming tour.

I'm sure Nirvana played a rare gig at the QMU as well - can anyone confirm this mibbes?

My all time favourite gig was the U2 Zooropa tour at the old Celtic Park in 1993 - support from Stereo MC's & Utah Saints.

The very first T in the Park was in Strathclyde Park in 1994, with Prodigy I think & Primal Scream. Kylie also played there in 95 or 96.

My mum saw The Beatles in 1964 at the Odeon in Renfield St - now sadly empty.

I could go on all day here.... :mrgreen:
"I'm a Noddy Newshound"
Synchro
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:14 pm

Be it headlining Glastonbury or supporting Led Zeppelin at Knebworth, most bands that have been around for close to 40 years have one unforgettable, career-defining gig. Suicide are no exception.

"That would be the show in Glasgow in 1978 when someone threw an axe at my head," says Alan Vega.........

From an interview last week with Suicide.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:48 am

Yes fans of the very over rated public schoolboys The Clash were the most conservative of Punk fans. Latecomers to pub rock anddenied access to The White Riot tour they eventually donned their tartan nappies, egged up their hair and badged their biker jackets for a night of three chord wonders at the Apollo and were met by Suicide.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Riotgrrl » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:20 pm

Synchro

Are you sure that Big Country did the Big Day thing??

Les Negress Vert (?) did.

Deacon Blue were actually vairy good.

Hue and Cry definitely did a set - I remember because they dedicated 'Ordinary Angel' to "all of you out there" and I remember being quite patronised and heckling loudly 'who you calling 'ordinary' Pat Kane!'. Don't think he heard me. He still thinks he's better than everybody else!!

We had our car impounded by the police that day, and ended up at some place trying to rake together enough money to get it back. Ah, happy days!
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Synchro » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:15 pm

Riotgrrl wrote:Synchro

Are you sure that Big Country did the Big Day thing??

Aye quite sure - "Look Away" & "Fields of Fire" were set highlights.

Simple Minds may or may not have been there, can't remember.

Deacon Blue were superb
"I'm a Noddy Newshound"
Synchro
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects