Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Postby My Kitten » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:38 am

DickyHart wrote:"The Big Day"—Europe's biggest free street party and musical event—brought more than 500,000 people into the city centre for a day of free music by performers as varied as Wet Wet Wet, Deacon Blue, Sheena Easton and hundreds of community street entertainers.

I worked on this day, ive still got me t-shirt and pass somewhere. I was one of the ones who had to collect the rubbish of the stage after Sheena,

Dug out my big day programme :) ah the memories

My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:31 pm

Gerry Sadowitz did go to Shawlands Academy if i remember correctly so it definatly possibly he recorded there.

Heres one for Alex, Lulu used to be seen frequently in Shilton Drive, Priesthill before she was famous. One of her original band the lovvers stayed there. :mrgreen:
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:46 pm

OLDFART wrote:Gerry Sadowitz did go to Shawlands Academy if i remember correctly so it definatly possibly he recorded there.

Heres one for Alex, Lulu used to be seen frequently in Shilton Drive, Priesthill before she was famous. One of her original band the lovvers stayed there. :mrgreen:

How right you are OF.

Do you know what his name was? We could start a Pollok Hall of Fame. I remember watching a Billy Connelly show where he mentioned that he spent some time in the Pollok area living with his Gran I think.

JR that is a diamond piece. Has anyone got a photo of the close?
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:22 am

Possibly the best article on a Glasgow musician that I've ever read;
http://www.wunnerful.com/sahb/reviews/uncut.html
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:31 am

Do you know what his name was? We could start a Pollok Hall of Fame. I remember watching a Billy Connelly show where he mentioned that he spent some time in the Pollok area living with his Gran I think.

my mum actually new Lulu we stayed in Priesthill/Nitshill at time, Glenmuir Drive, Shilton was just across road. I never actually asked her which one. She died a few years ago so no chance now.
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:59 am

Hipsway - Long White Car, Broken Years. Saw them at Maestro's before they got signed. Used to know Graham Skinner a bit but not that well. He was pally with our rythmn guitarist.
Friends Again - Honey At The Core. Chris Thomson and James Grants' magnificent beginning. Our lead guitarist went out with Chris Thomson's sister, that's her with the fishing rod on the cover.
Love and Money - James Grant, Raining on Jocelyn Square (a Glasgow placename song). Later line up featured Dougie Macintyre, see Flesh.
The Bathers - Chris Thomson.
The Fruits of Pashion - All I Ever Wanted. I went out with the singers sister, Something Donlevy.
Flesh - Was Dougie MacIntyre's band after the Fruits. He also played with one of my later bands, The Internationals.
The Jazzateers - Released a single on Stampede (my brother's label) and the merged with Flesh to form
The Fleshateers - One gig at the Subclub (owned at the time by my brother) I used to know the singer a bit, Graham something, nickname Spam. Came from Stra'ven, same as me. In fact...he used to live next door to the Naismith's who were cousins of Claire Grogan. Small world, but I wouldn't like to clean it. God bless you Chick Murray!
James King and The Lonewolves - I Don't Care if You Live or Die. The hardest band in Glasgow? Yes.
Kick Reaction - YTT(Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow) and under rated classic. When last spotted maverick genius Peter Lyons was working as a postman in Hamilton. I appeared on one KR single, "Spraypainters in Australia" as a backing singer. It was recorded in my studios in Motherwell. (used for rehearsals by the BMX Bandits and Teenage Fanclub). Voice, it was called
The Big Dish - Stephen Lindsay has just released a solo album to great acclaim. He works as a graphic designer these days - in fact he did my Company logo last year.
Strangers and Brothers - became the touring band for Hue and Cry. Our guitarist swapped his cherry red Epiphone semi for the Strangers lead's Tokai Strat. First time Pat and Shug were on top o' the paps, there was the Epiphone. Nearest we ever got to telly in the UK!
Hue and Cry - from Coatbridge but their first record "Here Comes Everybody" was also on my brother's label.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

The Sound of Young Scotland

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:39 pm

Postcard records was started by Alan Horne in 1980. the roster was

Orange Juice (Poor Old Soul came in the black cover with a postcard inside0
Aztec camera (but only for two singles, Just Like Gold and Mattress of Wire - the latter in a picture cover
Josef K - Chance Meeting was a black cover release, again with a postcard included.
The Go-Betweens - Australians. WTF?
Nearly all the roster left quite quickly to majors or other indies and the label was defunct by the end of 1981. A good copy of "Falling and Laughing" with the flexy is now worth circa £100.00, there's one on Ebay just now but it doesn't look right to me, wrong cover for a start and the label should have a pic of the band on the A side.

He revived the label in the 90's to release a single by Paul Quinn and a few compilations by Orange Juice (a Blue Boy CD Single and an LP, "This Heaters on Fire" spring to mind).

Orange Juice was
Edwyn Collins -- guitar, vocals, songwriting;
James Kirk -- guitar, vocals, songwriting;
David McClymont -- bass
Steven Daly -- drums
Kirk and Daly were later replaced by
Malcolm Ross -- guitar, vocals, songwriting
Zeke Manyika -- drums, vocals, songwriting
and a large supporting cast including Clare Kenny, Paul Quinn, and Dennis Bovell

Josef K was
Paul Haig -- guitar, vocals, songwriting
Malcolm Ross -- guitar, violin
David Weddell -- bass
Ronnie Torrance -- drums

Aztec Camera was
Roddy Frame -- guitar, vocals, songwriting
Campbell Owens -- bass
David Mulholland -- drums (first single)
Steven Daly -- drums (second single)
and many others later

The Go-Betweens were
Robert Forster -- guitar, vocals, songwriting
Grant McLennan -- bass, vocals, songwriting
and later: Lindy Morrison, Robert Vickers, Amanda Brown, and John Willsteed

1 Orange Juice - Falling And Laughing (7") April 1980 (Most copies came with a free flexi-disc featuring a live version of "Felicity").
2 Orange Juice - Blue Boy (7") Sept. 1980 (First 2083 with hand-coloured sleeve).
3 Josef K - Radio Drill Time (7") Sept. 1980
4 The Go-Betweens - I Need Two Heads (7") Nov 1980
5 Josef K - It's Kinda Funny (7") Dec. 1980
6 Orange Juice - Simply Thrilled Honey (7") Dec. 1980 (First 5000 with coloured insert).
7 Aztec Camera - Just Like Gold (7") Mar 1981
8 Josef K - Sorry For Laughing (7") 1981 (Actualy released on Begium label Disques du crepescule - "Twilight records")
9 Aztec Camera - A Mattress Of Wire (7") Jul 1981
10 Orange Juice - Poor Old Soul (7") 1981
11 Orange Juice - Wan Light (7") 1981 (Unreleased).
12 Josef K - The Only Fun In Town (LP) July 1981
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: The Sound of Young Scotland

Postby Mark N » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:00 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:8 Josef K - Sorry For Laughing (7") 1981 (Actualy released on Begium label Disques du crepescule - "Twilight records")

This track was also included on Rough Trade Shops indiepop 1 compilation, released in 2004.
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alan L » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:23 pm

As Emma Pollock has been mentioned earlier in the thread, it would be remiss of my not to mention Chemikal Underground Records, the label set up by The Delgados in 1994.

I've no idea where they are based, but they have a PO Box at G42 9TB, which would place them somewhere in the vicinity of Queens Park.

Bands on the roster of Chemikal Underground over the years include:

Areogramme
Arab Strap
The Delgados (obviously!)
Mogwai
De Rosa
Mother and the Addicts

I could go on, but that'll do for now. In Arab Strap, Mogwai and The Delgados, Chemikal Underground have been behind three of my favourite bands, and certainly three of the best to emerge from Scotland in the last 10 years.

Since I bought "Mogwai Young Team" 10 years ago, I've kept a keen eye on Chemikal's releases, and will do for some time to come. :D
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mark N » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:12 pm

From yell.com:

Chemikal Underground Ltd
60 Brook St, Glasgow, Lanarkshire G40 2AB
Tel: 0141 550 1919

...so they seem to be East End.

NB. Malcolm Middleton from Arab Strap now makes solo records. I'm not sure if he is signed to Chemikal Underground but nevertheless he is still gloriously miserable. When he sings "my loneliness shines" it sounds to me like "my load of shite".
http://www.malcolmmiddleton.co.uk
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Glasgow's Answer To Brian Appleyard Strikes Again

Postby Cyclo2000 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:57 am

In my Brian Appleyardesque post of yesterene I furgoat to mention...Lloyd Cole and The Commotions. Their keyboard player/accordianist was Andrew Alston, who was also from Stra'ven. I went to school with his brother Angus. We shared a rehearsal space with the Commotions, across the road from Berkley studios in the basement. Ou room was split between us and Lloyd and the other one was Strangers and Brothers and The Bluebells. Across the raod in the sound studio were Hue and Cry.
Also the Scars, (from Edinburgh really) whose single All about You is still one of my faves. Their first single Adultery came out on the Human Leagues label, Fast Product.
The Scars recorded at least part of their album Author! Author! at the studios in Bentink Street. I stayed in Bentink Street when I was at Art School. I used to see a few of the bands that hung around at the time, the Shaking Pyramids (from Greenock) were a rockabilly act who had a minor hit with "Take a Trip on The Train" just after the Stray Cats had hit it big in the UK. Very popular in France, the Pyramids. The Cuban Heels were a favourite of mine. Homes For Heros. I still have their album "Work Our Way To Heaven" somewhere. The cover has them on the beach at Girvan. Romance, eh? The record label was Cuba Libre but I can't remember the name of the studios. Casa? I may be confusing it with the Records and Tapes place in Sauchihall Street, now defunct.

Bizarre find of the day http://www.printfection.com/cubanheels American website sells Cuban heels Tshirt shocker.

Of course, growing up in Stra'ven gave one an "in" to that particular generation of post punk pioneers as many of the bands recorded their singles (most of the Orange Juice Postcards for instance) at John McLarty's Emblem Studios off the Common Green. Originally upstairs from his tailors shop, in an attic room panelled with egg boxes (I'm not making this up) the operation moved to a disused tearoom next to the Boo Backet Brig in the very late 70's. Emblem studios are the ones you see the Majestics in in Tutti Frutti. I met Robbie Coltrane going into the Spar during filming. About a year later I was at the Edinburgh Festival and I met him again walking up North Fredrick street. When he stopped to chat you coulda knocked me pals over with a feather. Nice guy. For a short period in the early 80's I used to go out with Johns daughter.
The sound engineer there was an RD Warwick, now Ricky Warwick of the Almighty. McLarty's money was made recording groups like The Men of Orkney Male Voice Choir or local favourite Wallace Kirkland, a Lanarkshire based crooner whose sublimely awful "Wallace Kirkland Sings the Happy Heart" I am proud to own. I have never been entirely sure quite why there were so many recording studios dotted ariound such a small town. There was Emblem, a dance band and radio broadcast studios at the Kirkland Park Hotel (demolished in the 90's) and another out by Auldhouse.

On a seperate point, I was amazed in the 90's at the emergence of so many Lanarkshire bands with cycling based monickers, viz
Campag Velocet (a racing gruppo)
The Delgados (after Pedro of that ilk)
De Rosa (Italian framebuilders to Eddy Merxck)
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:03 pm

There's Park Lane Recording Studios: http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/ where I think Texas recorded 'Southside".
It's run by Paul McGeechan of Friends Again and Love and Money fame.

I saw Sharleen Spiteri in Shawlands years ago, so I guess they did record there. I was falling out of Haddows with a fish supper and a kerry oot if I remember correctly...

Cyclo - any Friends Again info? I'm sure I've got a copy of Trapped and Unwrapped knocking about the house...Don't 'spose it's worth anything.... :( :(
Last edited by Blueboy on Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Altered Images

Postby Cyclo2000 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:50 pm

AI got there first break in 1979 when they sent a demo to Siouxsie & The Banshees who asked them along as support on their tour.
Their original sound was very Banshee-esque, (the first album was partialy produced by Steve Severin) with songs like Dead Pop Stars and Insects. Dead Pop Stars became their first single, and both it and it's follow up, A Days Wait, featured cover art by the then relatively unknown David Band. They became firm favourites of Uncle John Peel (God Bless Him) who was a tireless champion of the group.
They scored hits after Claire Grogan appeared in Gregory's Girl, which raised their profile just as they changed their sound to the twee "Happy Birthday" period, produced by Martin Rushent (who'd worked with Magazine and the Buzzcocks).
Finally the band enlisted Mike Chapman (yes, that Mike Chapman) and Tony Visconti (!) to help them shed the frilly image Grogan had been saddled with and the band released two standout Euro-disco singles, Don't Talk to Me About Love and Bring Me Closer from their final album, Bite. they split in 1983

Claire Grogan now tours with various 1980's shows and continues a successful acting career.
Johnnie McElhone started Hipsway and had a hit with The Honeythief. When Hipsway imploded he started Texas who continue to this day.
Steve Lironi (to whom Grogan has been married since 1994) now works as a record producer. He produced "Scooby Snacks" for the Fun Lovin' Criminals and the album "It's Great When You're Straight...yeah!" which included the hit "Reverend Black Grape" for Black Grape. He's also produced albums for Hanson and Bon Jovi.
David Wilde, who gigged and recorded with the group on their last album and tour was the sax player in Endgames.

Brian Appleyard writes...
Claire Grogan used to come up to Stra'ven at weekends to play with her cousins, the Naismith twins, who were in my class in first year, so I used to see her about sometimes. I went to a party with her once, in the big church above Casa Studios. She got off with me brother.
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postcard Record Values

Postby Cyclo2000 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:35 pm

In case any HGers have a few they wanna sell...here's wot their worth today...as far as i can find out anyway

1 Orange Juice - Falling And Laughing (7") Picture Cover with Flexi, Mint, one sold in 2006 for £352.00 and earlier this year for over £400
2 Orange Juice - Blue Boy (7") Sept. 1980 (First 2083 with hand-coloured sleeve). Brown Cover, £40-£50. The hand tinted one hasn't been found yet, should be as much as falling and Laughing though,
7 Aztec Camera - Just Like Gold (7") Mar 1981 Mint with the postcard inside the black cover, one sold this year for £76 and again for over £90. Postcard is a photo.
9 Aztec Camera - A Mattress Of Wire (7") Jul 1981 With picture ciover, mint, £50-£75
10 Orange Juice - Poor Old Soul (7") 1981 with the postcard in the black cover, postcard is of cats with the lyrics in the back. £30-£60
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby red_kola » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:00 pm

Alan L wrote:Since I bought "Mogwai Young Team" 10 years ago, I've kept a keen eye on Chemikal's releases, and will do for some time to come. :D

Mogwai's spookily nomenclatured Castle of Doom Studio is actually in a rather innocuous building on Eldon Street.

Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects