Anderston Centre

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Anderston Centre

Postby RDR » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:23 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:You've got to be very slow indeed not to catch a bus station ;)

I am indeed very slow and did on a regular basis miss my bus there, which was the 7 to Mearnskirk Hospital.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:47 am

I wouldn't have been surprised if there had been a pre credit crunch plan somewhere to systematically empty the three multis of their council tenants and convert them into yuppie flats. I mean, who is going to pay upwards of a quarter of a mill for a flat in the Argyle Tower just to be next door to a dumping ground for asylum seekers!
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:50 pm

Hi RA, 12 hours have passed without comment on your post which frees me to ask why you think an asylum seeker as a neighbour would be off putting.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:26 am

I'm not saying I do personally - my point was you have to question the logic of building premium priced private housing yards away from a run down council high rise housing estate which was part of a failed 1960s urban regeneration complex. I am sure there are plenty of people who are proud to call Columba, Dalraida and Davaar their home :D
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:54 pm

Your concept of the housing market appears to be out of date. Asylum seekers in general make good neighbours. Yuppies? in 2011?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:18 pm

ha.

champagnglie, anyone, darling?
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Josef » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:23 pm

crusty_bint wrote:ha.

champagnglie, anyone, darling?

Jesus. I'd need to give my red braces a right good snap to pronounce that one after a couple of lines.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mjw » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:35 pm

I work close to Sighthill and the only problem round there stems from the Scottish element not the other nationalities, anyway I remember reading a few years ago that there was an attempt for a takeover of three highrise towers from the council and kind of wondered which ones a private enterprise would've been interested in.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:42 pm

mjw wrote:I work close to Sighthill and the only problem round there stems from the Scottish element not the other nationalities, anyway I remember reading a few years ago that there was an attempt for a takeover of three highrise towers from the council and kind of wondered which ones a private enterprise would've been interested in.

Don't the council (by way of Glasgow Housing Association) already own the Sighthill high-rise, and are doing their best to dispose of this questionable 'asset' by way of stock transfer?

Wouldn't that mean 'a private enterprise' would have no opportunity to participate?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mjw » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:29 am

Sorry perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it in this thread but I do remember a few years back there was a report in a paper that the council had knocked back a proposal from a presumably private company that they should take over and do up three tower blocks and then sell them on as penthouses. Excuse the muddying of the water in this thread, just curious if anyone else had heard the same. As for the Anderston Centre I worked temporarily at the DSS in Morrison St in 89 and used to catch the bus at the bus station, it was a fraction of the size of Buchanan St, and the shops were practically non-existant. It is a pity however that the transport head honchos learned nothing from the closing of Buchanan St and St Enoch stations, the bus station is just as congested as Queen St and Central are these days.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:16 am

oh wahhh... them big they bad bogey councily type people are gonnae steal yer falsers and yer big single slipper in the night and sell them tae a private developer who's gonna build a yuppie woorkhoose right next door tae ye...

the council don't own GHA or any of its stock. GHA stock transfers are to community based LHO's, not private developers. the residents of both the Anderston and Sighthill blocks (along with the slab at St Vincent St) refused a programme to demolish the blocks and re-build on a more traditional scale and form.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby banjo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:44 am

so there.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:38 am

Yuppies...aspiring types whatever you want to call them. That there are still For Sale signs on these premium flats says a lot. Not just the Anderston Centre ones are a folly, but the Whiteinch granary ones as well.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:53 pm

The ones at Whiteinch are notorious as "weekend lets" where the landlords rent a two bedroom flat to 43 clucking Hens or 143 drunken stags for one or two nights. The result is misery for anyone daft enough to have bought one with the intention of living in it.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:28 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:The ones at Whiteinch are notorious as "weekend lets" where the landlords rent a two bedroom flat to 43 clucking Hens or 143 drunken stags for one or two nights. The result is misery for anyone daft enough to have bought one with the intention of living in it.

The HG elite book adjoining Fraser Suites for their weekend shenanigans, handy for teh Beer cafe.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects