Hidden Cumbernauld.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hidden Cumbernauld.

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:09 pm

RDR wrote:
Lucky Poet wrote:I tend to see Town Planners as being a bit like Social Workers - whatever they do, however they do it, it is usually deemed utterly wrong. Which is not to say there weren't screw-ups, but here we are with a lot of hindsight, and the Town Planners are very often the scapegoats, it seems.

Anyhow, it's nice to see Patrick Geddes being namedropped :D

Lucky Poet - CSE Woodwork, 50m Swimming Cert.

I don't blame town planners so much as the politicians who are usually at the back of them.

Who people blame usually comes down to which bunch support the plan they don't prefer.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:15 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
RDR wrote:
Lucky Poet wrote:I tend to see Town Planners as being a bit like Social Workers - whatever they do, however they do it, it is usually deemed utterly wrong. Which is not to say there weren't screw-ups, but here we are with a lot of hindsight, and the Town Planners are very often the scapegoats, it seems.

Anyhow, it's nice to see Patrick Geddes being namedropped :D

Lucky Poet - CSE Woodwork, 50m Swimming Cert.

I don't blame town planners so much as the politicians who are usually at the back of them.

Who people blame usually comes down to which bunch support the plan they don't prefer.

I tend to be suspicious of any plan supported by any politician of whatever hue.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby applemaca » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:11 pm

purplepantman wrote:I think blue is a wonderful choice of colour. After all, most of all the really great things in the world are blue. Like the sky, and the deep blue sea, and the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, made famous by the Laurel and Hardy song of the same name.

Leonard Cohen sang of the famous blue raincoat;

"It's four in the morning, the end of December
I'm writing you now just to see if you're better
The 'Nauld is cold, but I like where I'm living
There's music on South Carbrain all through the evening"

The biggest animal in the world is the blue whale.
One of my favourite nineties bands is Deacon Blue.
Yes blue is a nice soothing colour and will make a pleasant change from seagull shit.
Give the blue a chance. You might grow to like it.
Don't be blue about the blue.

Begs the question.............Why are you not the Bluepantman? :D
“Let me in old pensioner……for I am a bogus gasman, wi fake ID, n’am here tae ransack yur hoose!”
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby drc » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:14 pm

Does anyone on here have any info about the actual mill at lenziemill?There is still a fair bit of the ruins remaining including the mill lead and the remains of a weir in the Luggie,but I would love it if anyone could tell me when it was demolished or even a picture would be greatly appreciated.The whole area seems to be covered in more recent demolition rubble too,any ideas where that came from?
drc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby purplepantman » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:14 am

purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby drc » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Thanks for that Purplepantman, I Had forgotten about The douglas Campbell collection! Should have looked there in the first place. It never ceases to amaze me how much about my home town I don't know, I was led to believe that other than the village, there was nothing here before the new town but the more you explore, the more you realise that Cumbernauld was quite the busy industrial area before the coming of the concrete. I only wish that something could be done to preserve what little is left, and I include the Town Centre in that. Phase 1 should have been preserved for a start, and as for painting what's left a cold blue colour.....the town artist Brian Miller will be spinning in his grave!
drc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby mjw » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:55 pm

I was up having a look around one of the old penthouse offices this morning as part of the open doors event. Quite a few others had the same idea, it's open again tomorrow starting at 11am. There was a few comments about how it was a pity the owners hadn't gone the extra mile to make it look like it how it would've been back in the early 70s. Took plenty photos but I'm sure someone else will be along soon to post better ones than I could muster. The outside corridor was better preserved than the penthouses which of course had been converted to offices, would've loved to have seen inside the cdc club.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AP72 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:02 pm

Visited the old penthouses as well at the weekend. Really sad to see all that area simply rotting away. Not sure if anyone as read the Town Centre Framework from NLC:

http://www.northlanarkshire.gov.uk/inde ... leid=27319

Don't get too excited... Have a read at Outcome 5.7, 6.4 and 6.6. Then if you are still awake point your mouse here:

https://eplanning.northlanarkshire.gov. ... R0FBAJ0000

This includes the decision notice for the Gym/Class 11 change of use to Forth Walk. From the delegated report:

"The St Enoch’s Clock is located in the East Link which was given to the people of Cumbernauld in 1977 and was reinstated on the opening of the Antonine Centre and is considered to be a valuable feature of the town centre. During the processing of the application there has been an attempt to discuss with the applicant and the owner of the Antonine Centre the possibility of the relocation of this clock as it is considered that in its current location it will be hidden away and not seen by the members of public using the centre even if the link was to be reopened. The Antonine Centre manager has not responded to our correspondence in relation to the relocation of the clock whilst the applicant has stated that the clock is outwith their ownership, not part of the site and do not feel that this clock should be associated with their application. Whilst it is unfortunate that there has been no agreement to relocate the clock this in itself would not justify refusing planning permission"

Shocking. I wrote to Jamie Hepburn on this who confirmed he has had the same responses from owner. This is why I have always advocated a radical approach similar to Birmingham's Bull Ring. Public Private Partnerships CAN and DO work - they just need the political will...

BTW. 10 years on from the Demolition programmes on Channel 4, what has REALLY changed...
AP72
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby AP72 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:37 pm

This is an example of what I believe is needed:

http://bigcityplan.birmingham.gov.uk/wp ... Part-1.pdf

compared to:

http://www.northlanarkshire.gov.uk/inde ... leid=27319

Now i'm the first to accept that there is a world of difference between a city the size of Birmingham and a town the size of Cumbernauld. However the basic principles still hold true. Indeed as i've written about on here before the Bullring is the closest comparison in the UK. Anyone not familiar with it and how it came to be master planned and regenerated have a read at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_Ring,_Birmingham

I'm sure NLC genuinely believe in the Framework they have come up with however it is bland, dull and utterly unimaginative.

For example, Outcome 2.6 - Promote and encourage a more diverse mix of uses in the town centre. Really? How? With multiple owners only interested in rents how can this possibly be delivered? And what exactly are examples of this NLC? Care to share any with us?

A different model would allow NLC to dictate WHAT uses go WHERE. A simplistic example - We live in a world of internet shopping and home delivery. Retail has changed and we all get that. But surely there is still a role for small traders? Why not designate an area of the centre exclusively for that? By design not by chance or accident like today. Let them feed of each other and grow their businesses not as today where they are spread over entire centre. The old Market Hall anyone where Iceland is now? Lots of small traders? This stuff isn't hard... The closet you get is Outcome 2.2 Encourage and promote new business start-ups and retention of existing businesses - again how?

Another example (referred to in previous post)
Outcome 6.6 Explore the options for enhancing & refurbishing key features of the town centre’s architectural heritage. But as we see from the Delegated Report for Forth Walk in relation to the St Enoch's clock, NLC chuck it because the Antonine Centre management don't reply to their requests. Really?

Explore, Encourage, Promote, Develop, Review - David Brent would be proud of these...
AP72
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby mjw » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:56 pm

A few pics from the penthouses. The final photo is what you see just through the front door, don't know if they would've been split into two or three apartments, small rooms certainly. Bit of a letdown to be honest. now if they'd only open up the cdc club, hopefully that'd be more of a time capsule.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:34 pm

mjw wrote:A few pics from the penthouses. The final photo is what you see just through the front door, don't know if they would've been split into two or three apartments, small rooms certainly. Bit of a letdown to be honest. now if they'd only open up the cdc club, hopefully that'd be more of a time capsule.

Great pics, thanks for posting.

I have several alcohol induced memories of the CDC club from around 93ish.
The place was pretty rough as I remember. Plenty of character (and characters) though.
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ali1m » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:02 am

I've put a few photos on Flickr - sorry for the delay in posting, my account on the forum only just got approved!

https://flickr.com/photos/7365739@N08/s ... 1153523234
ali1m
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby appleofglasgow » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:56 pm

Here is my 30 minute + video of the penthouses with other bits mixed in to show how they would have looked before! Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHUGVNO5x7A
appleofglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dazza » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:26 pm

dazza
-
-

Postby wilcox123 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:26 am

Holey thread ressurection batman haha

I grew up in Cumbernauld, Abronhill to be exact, in the late 90's and early 2000s.

I have been in the caves, and palacerigg mines (even the caged mine entrance) and even down the caves that where a squeeze for me in my 4foot odds and less than 7 stone childhood body.

We will go with the caves first, although i know there is a stream running to one now.

Start at the petrol station in Abronhill. Exit turning right, just past the farm there is a break in the grass verge that you can walk up, meeting with a path at the underpath, walk diagonally across the old football pitch (middle area is boggy so watch shoes) to the top corner of the first pitch. There a small step over a stream to take in too the Forrest section, and head up the hill. There is large badger holes so do take care as these arent signed or anything like the rest up the area. Walk right to the top of the Forrest section. Mabey 100 Meyers or so and you will find a section of the end of the Forrest and the start of a field. follow it between the 2 and you will find a few man made caves and if you can get inside you can still see small blast holes in them (where they where packed with explosives) and tool marks in the rocks. i don't know if these were unused after a first few meteres but they don't seem deep enough (although they are deep not as deep as any other mine) to have been used as a full mine.

Will update soon with the caged mines entrance etc.
wilcox123
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects