Hidden Cumbernauld.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hidden Cumbernauld.

Postby mjw » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:06 pm

I went down to the woods today trying to find the remains of Glen Cottage between the railway and the burn just to the north of Whitelees, stuck on the wrong side of the stream but couldn't see much if anything bar a small brick ruin that couldn't be the cottage itself. Anyway, this is also there, anyone know what it was? seems too extravagent for simply a bridge, maybe sluice gates? and as for the round pillar box thing?
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Its not a bridge. From the best aerial shot I can find (the O.S. streeview level is down at the minute) I can see both banks are hard engineered for a stretch making a channel.

There is a tank marked on the north side of the railway, it could be that this sluice looking structure is/was an outlet for that. But I'm guessing. Glesga Steve is the man for drainage and dirty water, he might help.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mjw » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:42 pm

Something I found online was a proposal for a water supply by the railways to Glen Cottages, Cumbernauld, maybe a different site but it could tie in with this.

Something else I did yesterday was to find the Castlecary Castle curling pond as featured in old maps.
Hope you can make out the rectangluar shape in the photo. There was also something else nearby, looks natural but could've been used as a limekiln.

Speaking of limekilns, across the red burn from the same area, maps show it as three but I could only make out two where I was, have to get the wellies out next time.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:43 pm

mjw wrote:Image

I went down to the woods today trying to find the remains of Glen Cottage between the railway and the burn just to the north of Whitelees, stuck on the wrong side of the stream but couldn't see much if anything bar a small brick ruin that couldn't be the cottage itself. Anyway, this is also there, anyone know what it was? seems too extravagent for simply a bridge, maybe sluice gates? and as for the round pillar box thing?

Possibly an old sewage overflow MJ? See below.

Notice the overground sewage pipe (there is a photo of it - the 'Pipey' I believe the Abronhillers called it in an earlier post on this thread) running alongside the burn and leading towards the tank marked north of the railway - which in turn is close to your mystery object.
I suspect structure is/was an overflow upstream of the Dunswood WTW.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:04 pm

mjw wrote:There was also something else nearby, looks natural but could've been used as a limekiln.

I'm sure I read somewhere about an escape tunnel, which ran from Castlecary (the actual castle)
down to the Red Burn. Perhaps this is it? Need to see if I can find where I read it.
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:36 am

два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:16 am

Cumbernauld village bowling green from cumbernauld house - date ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beavis64/5997030731
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:30 pm

"I'm Scott Campbell. I'm the Local Editor for Cumbernauldnl.info and I've spent a lot of time adjusting the website, to get it to its current stage, but now its up to you! I need your news, events and announcements to further the website. Email me or add me, as a friend, on Faceboook."

http://www.cumbernauldnl.info/home
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mjw » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:08 am

Beavis64 wrote:Cumbernauld village bowling green from cumbernauld house - date ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beavis64/5997030731

I was going to suggest the late 50s but according to maps the bowling green was still there in 1972 but had disappeared by 1976, so it could be anytime up till then, makes you wonder what could've been if the planning hand had been held less tightly.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby appleofglasgow » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:49 pm

Hello everyone. It's been a while.

Loved seeing those new shots on Flickr ,again stirring my want to see the centre in it's entirety and original form.

I have recently checked the Scottish Screen Archive with a view to purchasing Cumbernauld: Town for Tommorrow but have discovered they now actually have the video up in full length, unlike the edited version seen in the library and YouTube copy. Here is the link, enjoy!:

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=2227&search_term=cumbernauld&search_join_type=AND&search_fuzzy=yes
appleofglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby purplepantman » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:15 pm

"There's a limit to what planners can do. All they can do is provide the framework.
It's the people who make the town - and make it live".
Magnus Magnusson

Watched that film a hundered times at least.
Fair brings a tear to ma wee een every time.

Anyway, found some great Cumbernauld pics on here...

http://cumbernauldwhatsitcalled.co.uk/photowhie.html

This one of Cumbernauld House surprised me...

I had no idea the old council offices were so expansive.
You'd never know they'd ever been there.
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:25 pm

Did Cumbernauld actually have a council? I thought it was run by a bunch of guys appointed By the Governemnt.

Close Up

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby maxruby » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:31 am

Quite correct,Dexter.
I studied the New Towns for my Sixth Year Studies Economics project.......in 1974 :?

http://www.scan.org.uk/knowledgebase/to ... w_town.htm
maxruby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby dimairt » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:11 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Did Cumbernauld actually have a council? I thought it was run by a bunch of guys appointed By the Governemnt.

Close Up

The Cumbernauld Development Corporation was a government appointed body - chairmen included Sir Donald Liddle, former Lord Provost of Glasgow - which had responsibility for all housing and, as its name suggests, town development. All other areas of civic life eg schools, libraries, cleansing were the responsibility of the elected council. Boundary changes led to the town being part of East Dunbartonshire and Lanarkshire at various times; it's currently part of North Lanarkshire.
I lived in Abronhill from 1971-85.

Durachdan,
Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby southsider52 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:12 pm

The female sitting at the top of the table in the black & white photograph is Dame Jean Roberts who was the first female Provost of Glasgow before chairing the Cumbernauld Development Corporation between 1965 and 1972.
southsider52
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects