Glasgows Cobbled Streets and Lanes

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby McShad » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:23 pm

DickyHart wrote:Image

i think its called houston street, just not far from paisley road toll


Just had a look at the map since it was still on the desk... Houston st runs the other way and, on this map at least, this street shows no name
User avatar
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Ibrox, Glasgow

Postby AlanM » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:15 am

Is that not an original part of Sheilds Rd that was orphaned when they built the M8 and it meets Houston St in front of those warehouse buildings. I used to walk down it every day on my way to work.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
Image
User avatar
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1827
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:59 am
Location: Knightswood

Postby viceroy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:55 am

AlanM wrote:Is that not an original part of Sheilds Rd that was orphaned when they built the M8 and it meets Houston St in front of those warehouse buildings. I used to walk down it every day on my way to work.


Yes it is, and I already posted a couple of pics a few pages back on this thread.
User avatar
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:23 pm
Location: Glasgow no more

Postby Luco » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:58 am

Fantastic photos. It's something I find amazing to think we still have cobbles under most of our streets.

Something I think, is one of Glasgow's great features, sadly lost (for now...)
Luco
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 4:51 pm

Postby DickyHart » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:15 am

viceroy wrote:
AlanM wrote:Is that not an original part of Sheilds Rd that was orphaned when they built the M8 and it meets Houston St in front of those warehouse buildings. I used to walk down it every day on my way to work.


Yes it is, and I already posted a couple of pics a few pages back on this thread.


oops sorry!!
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
User avatar
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1505
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:30 pm
Location: Carstairs

Postby Jamesie1970 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:40 pm

Luco wrote:Fantastic photos. It's something I find amazing to think we still have cobbles under most of our streets.

Something I think, is one of Glasgow's great features, sadly lost (for now...)


Ive got vague memories of being told that the cobbles used to decorate Cumbernaulds beautiful underpasses etc came from Glasgow streets..?

Not a brilliant first post I know, but at least Im trying to contribute.
User avatar
Jamesie1970
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Essex

Postby My Kitten » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:41 pm

Jamesie1970 wrote:
Luco wrote:Fantastic photos. It's something I find amazing to think we still have cobbles under most of our streets.

Something I think, is one of Glasgow's great features, sadly lost (for now...)


Ive got vague memories of being told that the cobbles used to decorate Cumbernaulds beautiful underpasses etc came from Glasgow streets..?

Not a brilliant first post I know, but at least Im trying to contribute.


They probably did. I was also told that the cobbles in the middle of paths were supposed to lead you to the town centre so you wouldnt get lost.
User avatar
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6105
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:10 am

Postby Jamesie1970 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:55 pm

My Kitten wrote:
Jamesie1970 wrote:
Luco wrote:Fantastic photos. It's something I find amazing to think we still have cobbles under most of our streets.

Something I think, is one of Glasgow's great features, sadly lost (for now...)


Ive got vague memories of being told that the cobbles used to decorate Cumbernaulds beautiful underpasses etc came from Glasgow streets..?

Not a brilliant first post I know, but at least Im trying to contribute.


They probably did. I was also told that the cobbles in the middle of paths were supposed to lead you to the town centre so you wouldnt get lost.


Yeah thats it! But only Kildrum I think?
User avatar
Jamesie1970
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Essex

Postby thegazman » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:11 pm

LANE AT CATHART RD MOUNT FLORIDA LEADING TO LESSER HAMPDEN

Image

Image
User avatar
thegazman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:23 am
Location: the sou'side

Postby Armadillo » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:14 pm

I've often thought of starting a thread on this, but never got round to it, so well done GKen for beating me to it. I reckon the streets are the real prize. There will probably always be cobbled lanes, coz the council can't be arsed to do anything else with them, but unlike Edinburgh (not often I find myself lavishing praise in that direction) where cobbled streets are clearly regarded as part of the urban landscape and worth preserving, in Glasgow they're disappearing fast. As Timchilli mentioned Meadow Road in Partick has been comprehensively tarred over recently. So has St James' Road in Townhead, which has had the additional indignity of speed bumps put in. Those few that do remain are, by-and-large, very poorly maintained, and no doubt soon for the tarring squad. Anyway, here are a few:

Clarendon Street in Woodside
Image

Lynedoch Street in the Park district
Image

Lynedoch Street and Lynedoch Crescent
Image

Gray Street in Kelvingrove
Image
User avatar
Armadillo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:12 pm
Location: West End-ish

Postby glasgowken » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:30 pm

Wonderful :)
User avatar
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 4477
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Glasgow

Postby AlanM » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:15 am

Water Row, Govan
Image

Marlbourgh Lane, Broomhill

Image

Just off Broomhill Drive
Image
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
Image
User avatar
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1827
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:59 am
Location: Knightswood

Postby DickyHart » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:18 am

Bairds brae

Image
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
User avatar
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1505
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:30 pm
Location: Carstairs

Postby scaryman2u » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:59 pm

`COBBLES`
I`ll give you cobbles :evil: 3 of us spent the day loading 15 tonnes of these into skips by hand.
Image
User avatar
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 959
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:22 pm
Location: GLASGOW

Postby tobester » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:39 pm

Windsor Quadrant

Image
User avatar
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: Parbold

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests