Blantyre Street (beside the Kelvin Hall):

Regent Moray Street, looking towards Yorkhill:

And towards the Art Gallery:

Old style meets new style on Blantyre Street:

Armadillo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue May 01, 2007 12:59 am

Excellent pics, Armadillo. 'Regent Moray St.' What a beautiful name for a street.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BobK » Tue May 01, 2007 6:54 pm

I may be talking nonsense here, but I used to get taken to the football by my dad when I was a boy and I seem to remember a cobbled street with part of it cobbled in the shape of a leg kicking a ball.
It might not have meant to be that, but it certainly looked like that to me when I was 5!

It would have been early to mid 70's and it would have had to be somewhere around Celtic Park. Anyone remember anything like that?

I very rarely go to the games nowadays, and I wouldn't know where to look anyway.
BobK
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby glasgowgub » Tue May 01, 2007 7:21 pm

BobK wrote:I may be talking nonsense here, but I used to get taken to the football by my dad when I was a boy and I seem to remember a cobbled street with part of it cobbled in the shape of a leg kicking a ball.
It might not have meant to be that, but it certainly looked like that to me when I was 5!

It would have been early to mid 70's and it would have had to be somewhere around Celtic Park. Anyone remember anything like that?

I very rarely go to the games nowadays, and I wouldn't know where to look anyway.

Wow bobk! you woke me from my lurker related sleep with this one, just like rip van winkle :wink: These cobbles you are talking about used to be at the Gallowgate app. across from where KFC is now at Barrowfield. They were supposedly created in memory of John Thomson, Celtic goalie accidently killed v Rangers in 1931. They were removed about 5 years ago and a shrub bed :twisted: put in their place. However I seem to remember someone saying they were relaid at the community centre in Barrowfield. Can anyone confirm? Thats it, im back to my slumber in Lurkersville :roll:
glasgowgub
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby BobK » Tue May 01, 2007 8:15 pm

glasgowgub wrote:
Wow bobk! you woke me from my lurker related sleep with this one, just like rip van winkle :wink: These cobbles you are talking about used to be at the Gallowgate app. across from where KFC is now at Barrowfield. They were supposedly created in memory of John Thomson, Celtic goalie accidently killed v Rangers in 1931. They were removed about 5 years ago and a shrub bed :twisted: put in their place. However I seem to remember someone saying they were relaid at the community centre in Barrowfield. Can anyone confirm? Thats it, im back to my slumber in Lurkersville :roll:

Great. At least I didn't dream it. Thanks glasgowgub.

Surely something like that would have been preserved, or at least re-created.
As you say, maybe someone will be able to throw more light on this.
BobK
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Armadillo » Tue May 01, 2007 8:46 pm

Lymburn Street, Yorkhill:

Armadillo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue May 01, 2007 9:37 pm

Right next to the horse tram depot (I like to throw in useless info like that :wink:) .
Great photos all :-)
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Thu May 03, 2007 5:32 pm

Newton Terrace Lane (off Granville St)

I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pwm437 » Fri May 04, 2007 3:10 pm

BobK wrote:I may be talking nonsense here, but I used to get taken to the football by my dad when I was a boy and I seem to remember a cobbled street with part of it cobbled in the shape of a leg kicking a ball.

The football boot and ball set into the cobbles was at the junction of Yate Street and Gallowgate. The link to John Thomson of Celtic is an urban myth, as the work was carried out by a man named O'Malley prior to Thomson's death in 1931. You can see a good account of this little piece of history in Charlie McDonald's 'Old Parkhead'. I don't know where it is now, maybe it did end up in the revitalised Barrowfield.
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Graham » Fri May 04, 2007 7:51 pm

Elmbank Street Lane

I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Armadillo » Thu May 10, 2007 9:10 pm

The remains of - I think - Meadowside Street. Soon to be swallowed up by the Glasgow Harbour "development" by the looks of it:

Armadillo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Thu May 17, 2007 12:13 pm

Gower St, south of the M8 (Ibrox flats in the background)
Bit strange - they look very neat and square and maybe new, but why would anyone bother to put down new cobbles/setts just there :?

Yorkhill Quay - get-at-able again (for now) along the 'temporary' footpath/bike route by the expressway

Pacific Quay

Original quayside or faked up for the Garden Festival?

And finally....

Brand Street
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu May 17, 2007 1:15 pm

The pacifiq Quay cobbles are Garden Festival remnants. The tram lines set up for the festival riverside tram are visible in at least one place.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Thu May 17, 2007 1:39 pm

:( but not exactly :o
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Twisty road, tricky at speed on a wet day

Postby MungoDundas » Fri May 18, 2007 9:43 pm

Greetz,
Apologies, if it's been covered before, but NTL is grinding slow & there're 12 pages to search.

True, this snap is more sky than cobbles, however here's a view of Dawson Road, between Craighall Rd & Rockvilla, seems busier thesedays due to the new flats. The carriageway's tight and sadly the new users haven't quite got the etiquette right as yet, perhaps it'll come to them in time....

And – if permitted - the side view links to another thread on scrapyards....

MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects