Past Present Vol 2

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Past Present Vol 2

Postby Buzby » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:37 pm

weasler wrote:on is called Williams street [/img]

Minor corection - it was called 'William Street'. The building immediately adjacent to the church was St Patrick's Church Hall.
- Raymond
Buzby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:44 pm

Buzby wrote:
weasler wrote:on is called Williams street [/img]

Minor corection - it was called 'William Street'. The building immediately adjacent to the church was St Patrick's Church Hall.

Minor correction - it's still called William Street.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Buzby » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:42 am

onyirtodd wrote:Minor correction - it's still called William Street.

? I was correcting weasler's assertion that it was 'Williams Street'.

Incitentally, William Street appears to have been extended with the building of the Hilton Hotel. It uses William Street as its postal address, however from memory William Street ENDED at north Street and did nor cross over....
- Raymond
Buzby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:55 am

Buzby just ignore the pedantics :roll: . Anyway back on thread; I'm interested in what you say about the original 'end' of William Street. That entire area has been subjected to so much 'redevelopment' ever since the early 60s that there are intriguing faint traces and redirections of all sorts of street lines.

Some of the most interesting examples are just further afield up towards the Coocaddens. The original Thistle Street seems to have vanished (I helped the Australian decendents of an 1860s emigrant family from the street to trace the church that their forebears were married in. That was where the Stow College still is. At the time I also came across listing and sketch maps for the old 'Arsenal' road thereabouts... presumably there was an arsemal there at one time?
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:16 pm

Buzby wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:Minor correction - it's still called William Street.

? I was correcting weasler's assertion that it was 'Williams Street'.

Incitentally, William Street appears to have been extended with the building of the Hilton Hotel. It uses William Street as its postal address, however from memory William Street ENDED at north Street and did nor cross over....

John Cooper, in Anderston Then and Now, suggests the eastern portion between North St and Bishop St was originally known as West Bothwell Street.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:41 pm

keep it on topic folks
pictures please
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:03 pm

onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:44 pm

wheres the past one?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby dougie79 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:10 pm

Strathbungo station taken from the Metal foot bridge at the end of marywood square. About 1966, the train is the 17.30 Glasgow central to Carlisle service.

Second photo pic taken from actual station foot bridge. the other bridge further up at the end of marywood square has since been removed. When I stayed in marywood sq I used to go up there all the time to watch the then little 3 coach DMS and the highlight was always the carlisle train as it was always a large class 37 engine. Not really much as changed, the platform has gone but all those trees and greenery is still there.
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Buzby » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:58 pm

onyirtodd wrote: John Cooper, in Anderston Then and Now, suggests the eastern portion between North St and Bishop St was originally known as West Bothwell Street.

I used to walk this regularly from Pickfords depot in Bishop Street to Elmbank Street, and for the life of me never recall a street nameplate, but this may have been because the building directly opposite St Patrick's Church had been long demolished, and lamppost signs weren't the norm in that area. Strange that JC suggests it was WBS, as - logically - it was SOUTH (of Bothwell Circus) and you couldn;t go easiy from one to the other. Because this and William Street were offset by a fair margin clearly calling the new bit William Street is a convenience only. I'll try and source a piccy, as all the ones I've seen so far feature the wrong side of the road (St Pat's).
- Raymond
Buzby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:49 pm

Don't have a current view but just posting this (grainy) photo in case it adds anything to the St Vincent Street discussion.

GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:40 pm

Can i ask about the Girnin Gates in Garscadden...

Is part of it still visible from the railway line? I noticed yesterday an old building at the lineside between Scotstounhill and Garscadden, but not sure what it is as ive never seen it before, just caught a glimpse of it as the train sped thru on the way to Dalmuir.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:15 pm

You won't see the location from that particular line tobester, the gates are in Drumchapel. The site is just visible as you leave Drumchapel station heading west, but still not near the line. Sadly there's nothing remaining.

Here's the exact location in Flash Earth.
http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=55.90866 ... =0&src=msl
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:59 am

Cheers GK ill try and get a picture of it when im not working the line, i just caught a glimpse of it as i was on a 'return to depot run'
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:52 pm

Firhill 1958 Mitchell Libary

Firhill 2008
No cracks about the only difference being the crowd, it would have been there if someone had turned the under soil heating on!
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects