Glasgow Garden Festival 1988

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby turbozutek » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:12 pm

We are only teasing you Fossy!!

;-)

I had a memory that just surfaced there about the Glasgow Festival!! The Coca Cola Roller - my first EVER time on a coaster!

Classic!

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:16 pm

the only bit left I think is some track from the tram. Myself PGCC and crusty seen it last week... just along from the new BBC site

-F- :)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Apollo » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:44 pm

Liked the comparison to the circus :) but as you say, it won't be seen again.

Beside the Clyde and past Bell bridge, the structure of the brick clock tower stands, sans clock.

Past the roundabout that leads to the science centre etc. there is a walled memorial park enclosed by Govan Road on the oposite side of the road which is formed from the gardens and ground that covered that area, although all the overground artefacts from the festival were stripped out. Anyone who knew the festival will recognise the layout though. You can still see the hillside rock garden that had water flowing down over it, and the stream that flowed around the area.

I took a walk over the ground around it a few years ago, but there was nothing significant left to pick up. Maybe do better now after a few years weather :)
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:20 pm

DR of course your right... it was the Gatehead one I was thinking of.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kokotheclown » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:51 pm

The TV show broadcast from there was something along the lines of the "Glasgow Garden Party". Daytime chatshow similar to pebble mill at one. I think they kept it going the following year, filming it from the Botanic Gardens instead. Richard Jobson used to present a musical spot where a band would play in the tunnel of the old Botanic Gardens station.

The Garden Show concept seems to be European in origin. Certainly Munich is preparing to hold one in 2005. It seems they previously held one in 1983.

http://www.buga2005.de/de/erlebnis/wiss ... mary.shtml
kokotheclown
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby JamesMc » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:39 pm

The Modern Fossil wrote:the only bit left I think is some track from the tram. Myself PGCC and crusty seen it last week... just along from the new BBC site

-F- :)

Some pics of the surviving tram track

And the Garden Festival logo, still on an adjacent tenement

JamesMc :D
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:43 pm

8) with the last one JMC. well spotted

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Speedbird » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:55 pm

kirkyguy wrote:A guy on stilts pretending to be a mammy with a wane in a pram shouting to peeps....thats all i can remember of it..

Sorry, very late here.

I was 6 at the time.
Also I do remember the Mammy and wean on stilts slightly.
I thought it was silly because the wean was not a baby at all, but a grown up.

I remember things such as the Dome of discovery, with the automated person talking in it, and the Coca - cola rollercoaster was right beside it to its left (facing the clyde).
My Dad went on that and I don't think he has ever quite recovered :twisted:
'I left my stomach somewhere at the top' he said,
but to me this seemed like a medical impossibility, I could not work out what he meant!

There was a fountain in between the two of them ( the dome and the rollercoaster I mean, not my Dad and his stomach), and a bandstand just off in the direction of the river wasn't there??

The Clydesdale tower was one of my favourite things.

There is loads I remember - we had season tickets' too, and we went *all the time*.

My big sister was in the school chior at the time, and she sang, along with other schoolkids on the Bell's bridge at the opening ceremony.
She was at the side of the SECC whilst we were on the festival side.
They all wore different coloured suits I remember (probably the colours' of the rainbow).
I saw Charles and Dianna away off in the distance (probably about 30 or 40 feet away, which seemed a huge distance at the time) as they opened it.

I cannot remember if this was on the opening day, but Edinburgh Zoo (I presume it was), brought the penguins over and they had their little parade along the riverfront.
I also remember all the ships and helicopters there.
There was a fire ship spraying huge jets of water across the Clyde, and I do recall a sailing ship docking with the crew all standing in formation on the masts.
There were motor boats, speedboats and yacht also amongst other things.

I do remember that tap you are talking about, also, the Intercity 125 (HST) cab mock - up with a speeded up film of a cab view video, playing along to music. That was beside one of the stations for the trains that seemed to hum when running.

What else was there........ hmmm, there were pipe bands and the like playing and marching across what seemed to me like school playing field type..... fields.
Bandstands with people in straw boaters playing banjos', basses', and other 20's type things playing rags, jazz and blues. Or people in modern cloths' playing electric guitars'.

There was a stationary tank engine that you could go into the cab of.
The front of it faced the Clydestale tower direction whilst the back (bunker) pointed in the direction of kids playground, floored with woodchip (that smell has kept with me), a wildlife section with strange hut things, and, of course, a Scottish t.v. exhibit where you could get STV badges and the like.
There was a huge tent or something where ice cream could be bought, and that was beside the Rotunda.

I have been informed that there was a pedestrian tunnel under the clyde and a butterfly house, but I do not remember these.

Oh yeah!!

If this is the festival I am thinking of (I remember Gateshead as well), then there was a huge (to me) maze and also Viking (??) boat bits that you could climb (?????).
Chiefly I remember this because I got lost from everyone else and started to cry.

I do, of course remember the trams, how could one NOT remember the trams??

What about the Blackpool 'boat', I remember that one *so* well.

I will likely rememeber more about it in due course.

This is just what I can think of off the top of my head, and I have only came across this thread tonight, so I am replying to a message from several months ago.
I have not read the rest of it yet, so if all of this is already mentioned then sorry.
This is just my memory of it when I was 6 straight off my head.
Please do correct me if you want.

My first ever memory was when I was in my Pram, so such a major event (for me) was always bound to stick in the mind.

I even remember the picture I drew in my 'News' jotter at school (P2) when we were told it had closed.

I drew the rollercoaster (with cars left hanging upside down on the loop), the trams, the tower and the wildlife woodchippy bit, all behind a barrier with a red 'No Entry' sign on it.

It had never occurred to me that it would close, and I was very disappointed to say the least!!

I thought that it would just be there forever, like a big themepark or something.

Memories, memories.
Last edited by Speedbird on Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:18 pm

john wrote:PS all I can remember about the garden festival was a giant badger set that scared the shit out of me, but then that could have been something else entirely, my memory isn't too hot.

No, you are correct.

That was in the woodchip bit.

There were plaster moulds of the different footprints of different animals too.
Badgers', deers', dogs', etc.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:26 pm

Was there a structure like the science centre tower, it was circular and rose up and spun 'round? Was that the Clysdale Bank tower?[/quote]

Yep.

A white tapered (?) tower with many sides on it, and the yellow round viewing platform going up and down, spinning around to give everyone in the seats, a 360 degree view.
It was quite a nippy thing if I remember rightly, and it was ppropelled upwards by lots of tiny rubber wheels.
The view from the top was great.
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:35 pm

nuttytigger wrote:this may be a daft question, but does anyone think it'll be back? or has it been back?

The last one in this country was in South Wales.

We never went to that one unfortunately although we were thinking of it.

I apparently went to Liverpool which was circa 1985 (there are pictures of my sliding down a dragon shute and various other things too).

Then Glasgow, and then finally Gateshead.

Am I right in thinking there was one before Liverpool??
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:55 pm

turbozutek wrote:We are only teasing you Fossy!!

;-)

I had a memory that just surfaced there about the Glasgow Festival!! The Coca Cola Roller - my first EVER time on a coaster!

Classic!

Chris...

I was too small for the roller coaster, but a couple of memories that have just come up again are of a large round events stand, rooffed with cnavas (?).

I remember seeing the story of Samson and Delila as played by school kids.

Also, there was teddy hospital in it one day, so I took along my monkey, Charlie. I tried to take just about every other teddy as well, but eventually had to choose between him and Cookie, one of my oldest teddys' (actually a dog).

We were all seated in there watching the show, and eventually, after a while people came round the audience to see what was wrong with our soft toys'.

I said to the lady that Charlie had fallen out of bed during the night and had broken his arm, so she bandaged it up for me and I took him home.

It was all I could think of.............. actually, that is a lie, I really wanted them to do some major operation, but I couldn't imagine what, so I went for the broken arm instead as it was nice and safe and would not provoke to many awkwards questions.

The doctors'' seemed to be doing more major things to other people toys.
Obviously they must have been older kids with better imaginations.
I was somewhat miffed when I saw what other people were getting done.

Now that I think about it, it must have largely been getting squeekers', arms', legs', eyes', etc, sown back in or on.
Still, I was slightly jeallous that I couldn't think of anything and I asked my Dad if he could have another 'injury', but he told me that I should have said at the time, the nurse would have spotted anything else when she was looking at Charlie, and anyway, I should let other people have a turn.

He was right and I soon forgot about it......... until now that is!
- Scarred emotionally and I have only just realised -
Damn you Hidden Glasgow!! :_(

Charlie wore that bandage for quite a long time afterwards as they never told me when to take it off.

Don't go awwwww!!, it wasn't THAT cute.

I will doubtless remember other things as well.
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:36 pm

I hope my post about what I remember being there is very comprehensive.
Hope you can remember things yourself from it because it all just came flooding back to me.
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:39 pm

I also forgot, does anyone else remember the straw steam loco that was hung from the Finneston crane to mark the 25th anniversary of the closure of the NBL at Springburn??

Made by Billy Wylie (??).
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:59 am

Yeah I remember it. Did'nt they set it alight along with the huge firework display to mark the closure of the Garden Festival? I remember that poor guy got his leg blown off when one of the fireworks (size of an oil drum) exploded, he was on Scotland Today for weeks after it.
If no body's perfect, why practise?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects