School buildings.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: School buildings.

Postby Godsgift » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:13 pm

RDR wrote:I suspect the answer is that the proposed school in the old Holmlea Scholl will not be under council control.

I see Notre Dame mentioned. I was a pupil of the old Glasgow High School..a non denomonational selective school run by the then Glasgow Corporation and closed by Dr Daniel Docherty of the City Chambers. I was ok...I went to the new school which was private, initially in Bearsden and then in Old Anniesland. Notre Dame was allowed to remain open although it ran on the same model purely because it was Catholic and those were the leanings of Glasgow Corporation at that time. Allan Glen's School suffered the same fate, though never to reopen. This thread I'm afraid has opened old wounds which I had long forgotten about when people were playing religious and political football with the lives of children. I had initially gone to the High School to escape bullying at Holmlea. :cry:
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Notre Dame became a single sex comprehensive school and still is. St. Mungo's Academy turned into a comprehensive school and relocated further east. Our Lady and St. Francis ran a few more years as a single sex comprehensive school and was then amalgamated wit St. Mungo's Academy in the Gallowgate. All the surviving selective schools became comprehensives including the non denominational secondaries.

The majority of resources were spent on on a minority of children who passed an exam regardless of their religion or lack of it.You want freedom of choice only for parents who can afford it rather than for parents who want to exercise a choice. You'd have better educated if your parents had made a better choice of school. One that made you think rather than one which taught you how to pass exams. Was Shawlands Academy too comprehensive for them?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:32 pm

RDR wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Non-denominational schools help dilute the effects of parents rather than enforce them and you take a step closer to preventing the next generation being initiated in the first place.

evidence please.

I don't think there is any.
Schools mirror society.

What like Notre Dame?

If there's no evidence your fatuous claim falls. Some school you went too.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:40 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:You want freedom of choice only for parents who can afford it rather than for parents who want to exercise a choice.

I'm presuming you are basing that statement purely on the basis of the extraction of the words".I went to the new school which was private" from that post?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:53 am

There's an implication that some parents, if you take money out of the equation, will actively choose a worse school. I mean, if we're going to start throwing around words like 'fatuous'...
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby RDR » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:16 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
RDR wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Non-denominational schools help dilute the effects of parents rather than enforce them and you take a step closer to preventing the next generation being initiated in the first place.

evidence please.

I don't think there is any.
Schools mirror society.

What like Notre Dame?

If there's no evidence your fatuous claim falls. Some school you went too.

I wasn't making the claim Dex, so it's not for me to provide evidence or otherwise
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:57 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:

evidence please.

Common sense dex, no evidence required, if you want to end sectarianism and religious intolerance you don’t segregate kids on the basis of religion. Would segregating black and white kids help racial integration? No I don’t think so. Schools are for teaching facts not mumbo jumbo nonsense, if you want to indoctrinate your kids, take them to your place of worship, don’t make me pay for it.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doug » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:33 pm

cell wrote:Non-denominational schools help dilute the effects of parents rather than enforce them and you take a step closer to preventing the next generation being initiated in the first place.

Dexter St. Clair wrote:evidence please.

Common sense dex, no evidence required, if you want to end sectarianism and religious intolerance you don’t segregate kids on the basis of religion. Would segregating black and white kids help racial integration? No I don’t think so. Schools are for teaching facts not mumbo jumbo nonsense, if you want to indoctrinate your kids, take them to your place of worship, don’t make me pay for it

in the mid 50's i went to govan high school which was a protestant school, if i had been a catholic i would have gone to st gerrards school. So what was the general outcome of this. every time groups of kids met from the two schools they would fight with each other or cause all sorts of hassle, and we wonder why we have the rangers and celtic religious divide :(
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:27 am

Oh common sense might suggest there are denominational schools elsewhere in the civilised world and even in Scotland but for some reason or other don't have sectarianism on the scale that Glasgow has.

But that's not common sense that's a conclusion drawn from facts relating to the lack of sectarian incidents and the existence of Catholic schools elsewhere.

Your idea of common sense would suggest closing Calderwood Lodge Primary might put an end to anti-Semitic remarks on Facebook
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Not sure what your link is meant to demonstrate? Certainly no mention of schools segregated or not. Maybe Facebook needs to tighten up on what it allows to be posted, that maybe we need to encourage kids to mix more and to educate them to understand religious differences rather than reinforce them? I’d be fascinated to know what you would suggest could be done to reduce sectarianism in Scotland or do you not think it’s an issue?
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:23 pm

It's hard to believe it's possible for two weans to be born in adjacent delivery suites in the same maternity hospital on the same day, be brought up in flats on the same landing in the same close on the same street, go to the same birthday parties, swap presents and diseases - maybe even have the same faither - yet are still expected to go to separate schools when they hit 5.

21st century Scotland? :roll:
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:20 pm

BTJustice wrote:I have had a look to see if this subject has been covered before and allthough individual schools have been featured there dosnt seem to be one project thread about school buildings in general (sorry if I missed it).
Prompted by Viceroys pictures in this thread;
viewtopic.php?t=5450&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10
It occured to me that there are a lot of buildings which were once schools, janitors houses, sheds etc, lying empty or which have been converted for other uses but still show obvious signs of what they once were.
Schools are something we have all attended (I hope) so we all have a connection to a certain one.
Maybe start by posting pictures of your own school.
This was my primary school, Holmlea primary in Cathcart;
And I will get some of my secondary (Kings park) if this thread works out.
Dave.

Can we get back on topic here please? (see above) Ashley St. is still going strong in its umpteenth guise:the Albany Learning and Conference Centre. I was a pupil there for some six months or so in the early '60s when it was used to house the February primary school leavers who were destined for Woodside. (There were two leaving dates in those days)
I worked here - along with Dex - in the early 90s when it was a Community Learning Centre - it was fairly run down by this point and closed shortly after. It found a new life as Sgoil Ghaidhlig Glaschu, a Gaelic-medium primary in the late 90s and was refurbished to accommodate the new school.
When SGG outgrew the premises and moved to the former Woodside School on Berkeley St., GCVS moved in and upgraded the building - it looks great. (see link)

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.gcvs.org.uk/events/about_the_albany
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:47 pm

dimairt wrote: .........Ashley St. is still going strong in its umpteenth guise:the Albany Learning and Conference Centre. I was a pupil there for some six months or so in the early '60s when it was used to house the February primary school leavers who were destined for Woodside. (There were two leaving dates in those days)

Me too, though a little later. Transition it was called. 5 months traisping back and forward along West Princes St followed by 3 weeks in June at Achnamara. Wonderful.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MungoDundas » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:56 am

London Road Primary School.

Whilst negotiating back from Jaynefield Street due to traffic management improvements, clocked some Heras fencing with UpliftingImageAdvertising.

Usually a downhill indicator?

After CG2014 Athletes Village reverts to worthwhile use, where are future junior residents of this area to be schooled?
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects