Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:40 pm

Susan Baird's Lord Provost Lights.

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Tue May 02, 2006 8:45 pm

Seamey wrote:Churchill Drive was Bob Gray

Apologies, not the best photo as the light was failing and they were high up! Saw them when I was out there the other night and remembered this thread.

Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Voyageur » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:01 pm

There is one light outside a house in Milngavie road in Bearsden. Presumably the LP moved house and one light was either left in place or moved? I'm sure a quick email to the council *cough* under the freedom of information, will get you the results of how many locations there are. :wink:
The Voyageur
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:53 pm

I may be wrong but think it may be Tommy Dingwall's lamp you refer to
Voyageur.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby vinny » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:17 pm

There's one, maybe two of these lamp posts on Kingsley Ave in Crosshill outside Patrick Dollan's (first LP) tenement.
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re:

Postby My Kitten » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:37 am

crusty_bint wrote:31 Queen Mary Ave, Crosshill

Looking a bit dishevelled

My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Lord Provost's lamplights?

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:21 pm

I am curious as to the cost of placing such decorative fixtures outside an elected councillors house, after all they choose to do the job, they got lucky and now he/she gets a set of lights? How much to install? How many special lights are there? Do they get removed when they move from Office - don't think so. Removed when they vacate the house?

So what does it all cost the Glasgow Council Tax payer?
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:57 pm

As I explained previously to someone claiming to be a tax payer. Previously former Lord Provosts of Glasgow received a Knighthood now they get a pair of lampposts. Their portraits were painted in Oils now it's a photograph. FFS we're the biggest city in Scotland how cheap do you want to get?

BTW little story of letting the peasant count the pennies. Whilst

The arrangement to seal the wills was made when Princess Margaret and the Queen Mother were ill in 2002 and shortly before they died. It emerged during the hearing that the gross value of the princess's estate was £7,700,176 and the net value £7,603,596.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/feb/09/monarchy.topstories3
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Buzby » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:35 pm

I had a meeting with ex-LP Peter McCann when he had his legal practice in Mitchell Lane (dunno if the firm is still there). He said that when elected, a team came and installed the LP's at the LP's residence. Once his term of office was up, ONE of the laps would be removed (to signify a past LP) but it never happened. So, in answer to the comment about SINGLE lampposts, this could well be the reason.
- Raymond
Buzby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:48 pm

Buzby wrote:I had a meeting with ex-LP Peter McCann when he had his legal practice in Mitchell Lane (dunno if the firm is still there). He said that when elected, a team came and installed the LP's at the LP's residence. Once his term of office was up, ONE of the laps would be removed (to signify a past LP) but it never happened. So, in answer to the comment about SINGLE lampposts, this could well be the reason.

Wasn't there something about the 'other' lamp post having to cut down using a ceremonial sword which mysteriously vanished around that time?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby THA G-MAN » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:26 pm

Used to shake susan bairds lights when i was young so they would go oot and a bonus was that her husband would chase us in a big merc!
THA G-MAN
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:13 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:As I explained previously to someone claiming to be a tax payer. Previously former Lord Provosts of Glasgow received a Knighthood now they get a pair of lampposts. Their portraits were painted in Oils now it's a photograph. FFS we're the biggest city in Scotland how cheap do you want to get?

BTW little story of letting the peasant count the pennies. Whilst

The arrangement to seal the wills was made when Princess Margaret and the Queen Mother were ill in 2002 and shortly before they died. It emerged during the hearing that the gross value of the princess's estate was £7,700,176 and the net value £7,603,596.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/feb/09/monarchy.topstories3

Cheap - no, definately don't want cheap. Accountable, absolutely! Why should they get lamposts? They stood for election, that's their reward. No one gets to elect the Provost in Glasgow apart from the ruling group. I am sure that there are many good and decent people in Glasgow who deserve a lampost or two for their efforts in and for Glasgow. I am sure that there are many who would like to see monies spent on tidying up litter in areas other than the city centre. I am sure that we can never please everyone, but there must be a better way to mark a Provost, Baillie or Councillors contribution to the city? A couple of lamposts that are allowed to become neglected in some cases is most certainly not it, in my opinion.

Personally I don't believe any politician should receive a Knighthood and as far as formal oil portraits go, it is poor substitute having them photographed but again it comes down to cost. Surely you would agree assuming that you live and work in the city, that the Council has to be wise with tax payers money? It does not matter what used to be, it is important what is and I think there are more who these days want to question these traditions, just as some question the value of monarchy, etc.

Would you prefer we Knight them? Paint them in Oils? What fitting alternatives would you suggest Dex?
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:07 am

Let me see> What could be shared with their neighbours. MMM a nice pair of decorative street lamps.

Next.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Buzby » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:23 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
Buzby wrote:Wasn't there something about the 'other' lamp post having to cut down using a ceremonial sword which mysteriously vanished around that time?

::): Rumbled!
- Raymond
Buzby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:45 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Let me see> What could be shared with their neighbours. MMM a nice pair of decorative street lamps.

Next.

MMM I begin to wonder if you are related to a councillor, former provost or just fanatical about the Labour group.

MMM... Next
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects