Lord Provost's lamplights?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lord Provost's lamplights?

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:42 am

Naw I'm a Glaswegian who takes a bit of pride in coming from Glasgow. There's nothing wrong with the occasional bit of pomp and circumstance and a bit of tradition. If you want to stop the erection of a pair of lamp posts take your argument to the people and put it up on The Evening Times Letters page. Why not convince a councillor to take up your cause?

Oh and try and separate the individual from the office.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
User avatar
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6252
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Lord Provost's lamplights?

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:23 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Naw I'm a Glaswegian who takes a bit of pride in coming from Glasgow. There's nothing wrong with the occasional bit of pomp and circumstance and a bit of tradition. If you want to stop the erection of a pair of lamp posts take your argument to the people and put it up on The Evening Times Letters page. Why not convince a councillor to take up your cause?

Oh and try and separate the individual from the office.


...And I don't have pride in my city? As for seperating the person from the Office, that's not a problem. However, I find it fascinating that you should advise me to take it to the Evening Times, after all I seem to recall in previous posts somewhere in the past, that you lampooned that very publication. No pun intended!
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 702
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:04 am

Re: Lord Provost's lamplights?

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:57 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote: However, I find it fascinating that you should advise me to take it to the Evening Times, after all I seem to recall in previous posts somewhere in the past, that you lampooned that very publication. No pun intended!


Nor found. And I'm sure you serve some purpose too, on occasion.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
User avatar
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6252
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Lord Provost's lamplights?

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:17 pm

This subject is illuminating Mr Dex, I can see you are the master of slagging off many posters but not so keen if someone comes back at you. guess you can dish it out, but not take it. Anyway, no point in debating this with you anymore, I will leave you to your retorts. However you have convinced me even more so that the lamposts are a waste of space....
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 702
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:04 am

Re: Lord Provost's lamplights?

Postby Mark N » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:42 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:This subject is illuminating


Well, it is about lamplights.....
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
User avatar
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Mount Florida

Re: Lord Provost's lamplights?

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:30 pm

As a Councillor could I just say that I agree with Dex about retaining a certain amount of tradition. However as an individual I would not wish to have these lamplight's outside my house. But then again there is no way I will ever be elected by my peers to the lofty position of Lord Provost.

I guess it just depends on your point of view. It is funny how it is usually argued that we need to keep everything but when it comes to a couple of lights it is somehow different.
User avatar
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2589
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Lord Provost's lamplights?

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:59 pm

Alex Glass wrote:As a Councillor could I just say that I agree with Dex about retaining a certain amount of tradition. However as an individual I would not wish to have these lamplight's outside my house. But then again there is no way I will ever be elected by my peers to the lofty position of Lord Provost.

I guess it just depends on your point of view. It is funny how it is usually argued that we need to keep everything but when it comes to a couple of lights it is somehow different.



Sometimes, with certain former Lord Provosts, you get the feeling that, despite the fact the lights are on, nobody is actually home :wink:
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
User avatar
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3176
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:40 pm
Location: a car park near you

Re: Lord Provost's lamplights?

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:18 pm

If we must have these lamps, why not position them somewhere in the city where many can view them and perhaps make a tourist attraction of out them? There are many ways that this could be done, one idea that some of us have spoken about in the past (not online) would be to do a civic square, park or street and place the lights there. I wonder what Glasgow Green would look like across from the court house if every former provosts lamp was placed along each side of the pathway, each one could have his or her name engraved, only one lamp each and positioned at the side of the walkway - just like the trees on Kelvin Way.

As I stated above, if we must then let's make them work for us and create some sort of attraction and story behind them, rather than placing them in some wee back street where no one gets to see them.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 702
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:04 am

Re: Lord Provost's lamplights?

Postby cumbo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:44 pm

Delmont, when I started looking for Lord Provosts Lamp Lights it was fun going to all the different areas in the city
acting on tip offs etc using an old A to Z Using public transport,talking to people,living and breathing my city.
These Lamp lights are not museum exhibits they are part of a rich tradition that forms part of this city
A wee bit of 'Hidden Glasgow' if you like :roll:
User avatar
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1721
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:46 pm
Location: Location:Location

Re: Lord Provost's lamplights?

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:04 pm

To bring this back to topic, there's a list of all the former Lord Provosts on the GCC website and on on wikipedia.

This might help to catalogue the number of lamp lights we're looking for (when did they start with this tradition?) and where they might be.
User avatar
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1421
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Dennistoun

Re: Lord Provost's lamplights?

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:10 pm

cumbo wrote:Delmont, when I started looking for Lord Provosts Lamp Lights it was fun going to all the different areas in the city
acting on tip offs etc using an old A to Z Using public transport,talking to people,living and breathing my city.
These Lamp lights are not museum exhibits they are part of a rich tradition that forms part of this city
A wee bit of 'Hidden Glasgow' if you like :roll:



Well put.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
User avatar
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6252
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Lord Provost's lamplights?

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:19 pm

Indeed.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-
 
Posts: 4425
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:52 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Lord Provost's lamplights?

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:02 pm

As I think I might have said yonks ago in this threat (sorry, couldn't be bothered going through it all again!!), you'll not find Bill Gray's lampposts - he told the Corporation to get lost when they suggested lamps outside his house!
User avatar
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:11 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Lord Provost's lamplights?

Postby duncan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:23 pm

Here's a pic of one of Glasgow's lamp posts... spotted in Stratford-upon-Avon. There was an area around the big theatres full of lamp posts like this from all around the country, and they all had plaques on them saying which council had donated it. I'm not sure what the deal was, perhaps the provosts all got free season tickets to see some Shakespeare or something.

Unfortunately I didn't get a proper pic of the lamp post, just the plaque:

Image
http://www.flickr.com/photos/duncan/2331091963/
User avatar
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:54 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: Lord Provost's lamplights?

Postby Fossil » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:53 pm

Thanks for that Duncan! :wink:
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
User avatar
Fossil
-
-
 
Posts: 12310
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:07 am
Location: Pitt Street

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests