Old Maryhill Station

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Alycidon » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:19 am

yer aw takin shite. the passenger side of the railway was the south side of the bridge at garrioch road before the bridge that crosses the kelvin you can still see the stone walls of the platform, the goods yard was under the shopping centre.

.This was my playground as a kid , the padlock on th gate goes "missing" every once in a while and you can walk through 8 inches of mud to the gate on the other side . not been for a while though

This is the classic view of Maryhill Central Station, taken from Garrioch Road bridge looking North, showing the goods and passenger facilities side by side, anyone in that area got a "today" shot

JBH
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby possilonian » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:03 am

Hi Kelvin Hall Yes the Miley and Halloween Pend [ Hillend Bridge ] are still there,these where i believe built only for farm access [Horse and Cart ]the photo shown would have had the Maryhill Railway line above it,leading to Ruchill Golf Course,and less than 100 Metres East of it, there was a Railway Bridge over the Canal .. Cheers Possilonian
possilonian
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alycidon » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:23 am

Hi Possilonian/Kelvin Hall

I am trying to place the tunnel in the picture on a map. There were two railways adjacent to Ruchill Golf Course, on the northern edge there was the Caledonian line to Possil and Balornock, on the south edge there was a North British goods branch from Possilpark station into Ruchill Iron Works. The remains of the two lines can be seen on the map extract below.
Correct me if I am wrong please but I suspect that the tunnel in the picture was under the Ruchill Iron Works branch
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby possilonian » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:48 pm

Hi Alycidon If you mean the photo of the Maryhill RailwayTunnel which ran under Maryhill Rd [ LMSR L anarkshire and Dumbarton Section ] which divided Ruchill Golf Course i believe it was the 4th and 6th hole.the other photo of the small arch tunnel is actually an old access tunnel for Farmers/Pedestrians when the canal was built ...The other Railway line you refer to Started at Shuna St and ran alongside the 1st hole of Ruchill Golf Course as i used to have to go and find my golf balls that I drove into it, and this was called the Ruchill Branch and headed towards Balmore Rd...Cheers Possilonian
possilonian
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

old maryhill railway

Postby glesgapostie » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:44 pm

:twisted: have you been in the botanic gardens ?. you can see the railway lines and platforms . its near the park wardens house
glesgapostie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby anok » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:00 pm

aboot time ! rockvilla boy
anok
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:27 am

Alycidon wrote:This is the classic view of Maryhill Central Station, taken from Garrioch Road bridge looking North, showing the goods and passenger facilities side by side, anyone in that area got a "today" shot

Tim
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Railway line under Maryhill shopping center

Postby e2wufos1 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:18 pm

I've had a look in the search facility on HG but can't seem to find what i'm looking for so can anyone tell me where the railway line under Maryhill shopping center came from and went to as I can't find anything online about it.

Thanks
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:41 pm

A line from near Finnieston up through Kelvin Bridge, Botanic Gardens and Kirklee met a line from Partick West at Maryhill Central before going on to Possil and Springburn.

Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:15 pm

Would have been a better idea to open that, than reopening the other station.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:49 pm

Did/does the tunnels from that line still exist and do they go under Stratford Street in Maryhill?

Thanks
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby vinny » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:13 pm

One old station that I have never seen a photo of is Yorkhill. Can anyone recall what this looked like?
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Old Maryhill Station

Postby dougie79 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:24 pm

Can I first appologise if I have placed this in the wrong thread its kind of maryhill related as thats where I was heading for but ended up in the partick tavern. I will take the slap on the next HG drinks night.

Taking advantage of my first day off work in ages I decided to go a wander along the route of some old railway lines. I was going to walk from partick to maryhill but things didnt really go to plan. I ended up walking up clarence drive to crow road over to hyndland then got side tracked and ended up at kirklee and the botanics. I took some pics along the way, they arnt great and most of you will have seen similar ones but I thought Id post them anyway for you to have a wee look.

The south end at clarence drive

The retaining wall, old entrance now blocked by horrible housing :evil:

The blocked entrance big fences NOT GETTING IN THIS END!

Crow Road Station, carpeted in bird crap

Some slight littering on the track bed

Dodgy rope swing

below Hyndland station

C64 seen better days

Heading under hyndland station, the smell here was nasty!

Old sign

Disused car showroom behind hyndland station

Nice photocopier!

Skoda aint that bad, my partner doesnt agree!!

Off track now at kirklee

Heading towards the portal to botanic gradens

Rather strange artwork

Botanics air vent

Well that was it for my day out, headed down to the partick tavern. Didint have my torch so couldnt do any proper exploring, will do better next time. Hope I havent board you too much. Ws an interesting day out. So much has changed since I last did this as I was only 10 year old. God makes me feel old now.
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:21 pm

can I have the sign?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby stoop_uk » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:23 pm

Fossil wrote:can I have the sign?

Can't believe it hasn't been nicked before now... that showroom's been shut for a while now.
Stewart Priest
a cracking audio producer :: http://www.stewartpriest.com
stoop_uk
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects