Old Maryhill Station

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Old Maryhill Station

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu May 28, 2009 6:55 am

Thanks Jimmy.

You may be interested in this

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jimmy1959 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:16 am

Thanks again Dexter St. Clair. i live in Springburn but grew up in Possilpark a very short distance from the old Possil (North) station and have very dim memories of it when it was still in use, i believe it actually closed in February 1966 with the rest of the line up to Balornock Junction the rest of the line from balornock to London Road succumbing two years earlier. When the station was in use and for the following decade at least the building looked in beautiful condition. and was used by various businesses such as William king the bookmakers and Haddows off sales up until about 1982/3. Since then the buildind has went to ruin. I can remember watching the heavy freight trains as they passed under the bridge in Balmore road as they went through the station. Even in 1965/6 the freight trains where handled mostly by steam locomotives especially the ex WD 2-8-0's and i think sometime WD 2-10-0's. i even remember seeing a few DMU's usually Metro Cammell 101 and 105 units heading eastwards towards Balornock Junction. As passenger trains never ran east of Possil High i imagine that these where empty workings probably going to the sidings at St. Rochs or they where special workings
jimmy1959
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alycidon » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:39 pm

jimmy1959 wrote:....... i even remember seeing a few DMU's usually Metro Cammell 101 and 105 units heading eastwards towards Balornock Junction. As passenger trains never ran east of Possil High i imagine that these where empty workings probably going to the sidings at St. Rochs or they where special workings

It is possible that the DMU workings were empty stock for the the "Six Lochs Land Cruise" that worked from Buchanan Street in 1959, They went out via Stirling and Callander and returned via Crianlarich (reverse) and the West Highland. Since St Rollox had no DMU allocation the units would have worked up from Hamilton to Balornock then reversed.

Jim
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby oldGlasgoWpichunter » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:11 am

Can anyone tell me wher the old railway tunnel goes after it goes under the farmfoods ner colston road
oldGlasgoWpichunter
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:28 pm

Try these maps.There's an on screen slider at the top of the maps. Slide it to the right and it shows the railway lines in the 1920's and slide it to the left for a modern Google Satellite map (change it to Google Streets in the right hand slot)

http://geo.nls.uk/search/mosaic/#zoom=13&lat=55.89326&lon=-4.23047&layers=B0000000000
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby oldGlasgoWpichunter » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:31 pm

Thanks much appriciated
oldGlasgoWpichunter
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Gerry_R » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:18 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Try these maps.There's an on screen slider at the top of the maps. Slide it to the right and it shows the railway lines in the 1920's and slide it to the left for a modern Google Satellite map (change it to Google Streets in the right hand slot)

http://geo.nls.uk/search/mosaic/#zoom=13&lat=55.89326&lon=-4.23047&layers=B0000000000

Dexter,

This old map google overlay is quite simply what i've been looking for for years.

Stunning!
I don't have a drink problem! I drink, get drunk, fall down - no problem!
Gerry_R
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects