The Heart Of Glasgow - Glasgow's Eight Oldest Streets

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby escotregen » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:49 am

Walbass at the danger of going off-topic, given your enquiries around the Drygate, can I bring up yet again my obsession about Duke Street prison?
One of the biggest civic undertakings ever in historic Scotland and central to Glasgow's folk history... but a dearth of records and archive material on it.

In fact, the accumulated material we have on the Hidden Glasgow Duke Street Prison thread is probably some of the most comprehesive there is. So, just in case you come across anything new I'd love to hear of it :) .
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:53 am

escotregen wrote:Walbass at the danger of going off-topic, given your enquiries around the Drygate, can I bring up yet again my obsession about Duke Street prison?
One of the biggest civic undertakings ever in historic Scotland and central to Glasgow's folk history... but a dearth of records and archive material on it.

In fact, the accumulated material we have on the Hidden Glasgow Duke Street Prison thread is probably some of the most comprehesive there is. So, just in case you come across anything new I'd love to hear of it :) .

Yes I agree. I do intend to spend a bit of time of the Duke Street prison as there isn't much else to show for Drygate without it.

In fact I am on my way out to the People's Palace this morning to photograph some of the bits and pieces they have on the prison.

W
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby John » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:02 pm

Smoking outside the Empire Bar in Saltmarket.

W
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Josef » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:10 pm

I like that one a lot, W.

I used to get my hair cut in a barbers just down the street on the right (well, it was only two quid) when I was an impoverished youth, and buy (ex-demob) suits for a tenner in the suit shop across the road that you posted in an earlier photo in this thread. The locals don't seem to have changed much in the intervening twenty years: still skinheads and old folk :) .
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:30 am

Josef wrote:still skinheads and old folk :) .

And puddles.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:10 pm

Trongate. Originally St. Thenew's Gait. Once the most important street in Glasgow and the first to be paved.

Detail from painting in Kelvingrove (1770-80 Artist Unknown) showing Trongate at the Glasgow Cross end.

Trongate at Glasgow Cross today.

W
John
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:24 pm

Did you notice the wee "half door" that we spoke about? ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:27 pm

Ugh, that thing on the right :x
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:31 am

HollowHorn wrote:Did you notice the wee "half door" that we spoke about? ::):

Yes. It is a great idea and all homes should have one. It would be much better for "hingin oot the windae".

W
John
-
-

Postby John » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:39 am

One for Crusty Bint.

Jaw Bone Arch from the Bishop's Palace.

This is one of the few existing relics from the old Bishop's Palace. I have walked past this arch in the People's Palace lots of times and never read the notice until recently.

J
John
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:02 pm

Nice one John! I am ashamed to admit I have never actually been round the Peoples Palace :oops: I shall add it to my ever increasing list of resolutions! I wonder what sites those bones have witnessed in the years between the destruction of the Bishops Palace and its inclusion in the collection of the Peoples Palace?
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby John » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:25 pm

Trongate - James Watt. Erected by the Pen and Pencil Club.

It is quite high up at the Tontine Building and partially obscured behind a post. I had a pig of a time trying to get a decent photograph of it.

John
Last edited by John on Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
-
-

Postby John » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:40 pm

Mercat Building at Glasgow Cross.

J
John
-
-

Cathures

Postby cataclyzm » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:39 am

Hey,

From what I can remember from some research i did - Glasgow started in the dip of the valley between the Cathedral and the Necropolis. It was called: Cathures then, and I believe it was a roman garrison for a time.

St.Mungo was the illegitimate son of an eastern Scottish Princess who was banished from the Lothian area by her pagan father (a lothian King) for adopting Christian beliefs. On her own and without protection she was raped and destitute until saved by some Christian Monks and given sanctuary.

She gave birth to Mungo who was mentored as a child by a holy man named Fergus who Mungo spent his formative years learning from. Upon Fergus' death in old age - Mungo placed Fergus' body on a cart and vowed to establish a church where the animals pulling the cart came to rest. That place he named: Glas Chae (ancient welsh) which meant: the green hollows/green place.

I have always felt that the area behind the cathedral in the dip of the valley near the Necroplis (which is a recent victorian confection, obviously) had a very spiritual presence.

Whenever I have been around the Bridge of sighs - day or night, it always has the most calm and gentle feel about it.

all the best
robert.
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby elgee » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:52 am

Isnt the Mercat bldhg beautiful ??
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects