Hidden House in Woodlands

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby exdurandal » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:35 pm

Ronnie wrote:Found out some more about the house. It was called Woodside Cottage, with a postal address - before the tenements were built - of 86 Woodlands Road. In 1843 it was owned by David Brown, landscape gardener and nurseryman, and was surrounded by a market garden or nursery. It may have been built before that. Later in the 19C it was the premises of Annan the photographer. (from James Cowan, "From Glasgow's Treasure Chest", Glasgow, 1951).

where did you find this out? when i lived there, it was called woodlands cottage... inside the tenement painted on the wall is an arrow pointing in the direction of the cottage (for the postman and the like)
exdurandal
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Ronnie » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:44 pm

I found it out from the book mentioned at the end of the post. The book says it was also known as Woodlands Cottage, but most of the references were to Woodside, so I stuck with that. ::):
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

im looking at it right now from my bedroom window...

Postby leper_2000 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:02 pm

i live above the halt bar on woodlands..i can see it in our back "garden"(its full of shitty old toilets and matresses...) just took a couple of pictures but its a rubbish day and i have lost the account details for my webspacee so i cant upload them yet..theres definetely a light on at the moment.funny, i could have sworn it was derelict a few months ago.. the old lamp is still there although sadly the beautiful shed in front has sadly been sent to the big landfill in the skye.
incidentally does anyone know what the building behind and to the left of it with the tall chimney is? i think you can just see it in the photo above..
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

pic

Postby leper_2000 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:49 pm

found that password... heres a pic of the house today... its wet and crap and my window could really do with a clean but il get a better shot when its nice out... sorry its a link but i havent got a decent free host yet and this seems 2 do in the mean time.. if it doesnt work clicking on it u might have 2 paste it into ur address bar.. annoying huh?

leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: pic

Postby red_kola » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:56 pm

leper_2000 wrote: if it doesnt work clicking on it u might have 2 paste it into ur address bar.. annoying

Thanks for trying to upload that pic. Unfortunately, Tripod won't allow direct linking to images. Even posting it in the address bar is not working, alas. It probably looks OK to you as the image will be in you cache...

If you're serious about hosting a number of images try setting up a free here
http://www.photobucket.com

If you just have an occasional need to upload a single picture, this might be better, no registration required :D
http://www.imageshack.us/

cheers!
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: pic

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:17 pm

leper_2000 wrote:found that password... heres a pic of the house today... its wet and crap and my window could really do with a clean but il get a better shot when its nice out... sorry its a link but i havent got a decent free host yet and this seems 2 do in the mean time.. if it doesnt work clicking on it u might have 2 paste it into ur address bar.. annoying huh?
http://shoelesswretch.tripod.com/images/glasgow/woodlands_cottage.jpg[/url]

I've resized your image Leper and posted it here for now. Yeah! As Red Cola says Photobucket.com is your answer for hosting images here. 8)

Woodlands Cottage
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby leper_2000 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:40 pm

thanks guys that site seems to be pretty useful. in other news.. its snowing outside! :D perhaps get some nice photos later...subcity radio 2am..i cant wait...
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Jazza » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:16 pm

what a great thread.

That looks like a great house too. I love the idea of having to get to it through a tenement. Superb.
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby exdurandal » Sun May 29, 2005 7:29 am

BigCraig wrote:what a great thread.

That looks like a great house too. I love the idea of having to get to it through a tenement. Superb.

it was a pain in the ass going through tenements.. it was linked to the front door intercom, but for some reason you couldn't open the door remotely.. so if a delivery came, you'd have to go to the handset, tell them to hold on, get your shoes on (or clothes if you'd been walking around in your PJs!), go outside into the glorious scottish weather (rain), open the back door with your key, walk up the stairs, open the door, get whatever it was, go back downstairs (and them stairs were never lit right!!) close the back door, lock it (wish it had been an automatic locker!) back out into the rain.. finally you're home. oy.. what a mess. but other than that it was great!
exdurandal
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Simba » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:59 pm

Wow, that house is brilliant! Seems strange to build tenements around it all the same, but really interesting.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

house

Postby hazy » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:48 pm

I lived right across the road from it Westend Park Street. Thanks always wonderd about it.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:35 pm

I was looking through Along Great Western Road briefly the other night (and I still don't have my copy, so I can't say what page this was on) and I saw an interesting pic. It's taken from Park, looking north towards Great Western Road. It's in the 1800s some time I think, and there are only a few buildings in the Woodlands sort of area. Anyway, I believe that this wee housie is the picture, although there are other buildings beside it (presumably now demolished). Anyone who has the book care to check more carefully?
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:40 pm

As mentioned earlier in this thread by Ronnie, there is an article in James Cowan’s book “From Glasgow’s Treasure Chest” in which he investigates the hidden house in Woodlands. Here is the full article from the Evening Citizen in January 1935 which appeared in the book published in 1951 :

A HIDDEN HOUSE IN GLASGOW

It would probably surprise most Glasgow people to find a self - contained house within a few yards of one of the busiest city streets where tramway cars run past, and yet as completely secluded from all noise and bustle as if it were out in the peace and quietness of the country ; but there is a least one house of that description in the city. I discovered it when I looked out from the window of a stair landing at 144 Woodlands Road. There it was, in the space bounded by the tenements of West – End Park Street, Woodlands Road and Arlington Street, which should in ordinary circumstances, have been used entirely for back greens ; but the space is so ample that in this case there is room for both the house and the greens.

As this promised to be interesting, I decided to investigate, and found the easiest way to reach this curiously situated house was through the entry at West – End Park Street. It is occupied by two tenants, and the top storey is reached by an outside stair. A single large tree stands beside the house, and this tree along with the house, I judged must be considerably older than the tenements surrounding them.

Further investigations proved that such was the case ; for I interviewed more than one person who could remember West – End Park Street “before it was made” ; and the house stood there at that time, apparently in the midst of a market garden, or nursery, one informant being able to remember a cart which periodically took the produce away.

A map dated 1862 showed a house seemingly in the position of the one in question, though it was difficult to be certain on the point, owing to the absence of other known buildings for comparison ; but on the map dated 1848 there is no sign of it. The house was, therefore, probably not in existence earlier than, say, 1850 ; but although of little or no antiquarian interest, its present curious position makes it worthy of mention as being possibly unique of its kind in the city, and if it could only be discovered there must be some interesting reason for this house having been left in such a position, instead of being removed when the surrounding tenements were built. Strangely enough it is not shown on the most recent maps of the city ; so it would appear that so far as present – day map makers are concerned, this house does not now exist !

Note – In a letter to the Evening Citizen dated 25/02/35 Dr. Leslie Buchanan points out that the cottage referred to in the foregoing article is shown in the Glasgow Directory of 1856-57, p.50 as Woodside Cottage, the postal address being 86 Woodlands Road. In the Directory of 1848-49, p.66, the name of David Brown, nurseryman, Woodlands Cottage appears. This David Brown was in the same house as far back as 1843, calling himself a landscape gardener. The house must therefore, have been built before that date. Dr. Buchanan also mentions that the famous firm of photographers, Messrs. Annan, once occupied the cottage. This point is dealt with more fully in the later article entitled “More Hidden Houses in Glasgow,” No. 93.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:58 am

Simba wrote:I was looking through Along Great Western Road briefly the other night (and I still don't have my copy, so I can't say what page this was on) and I saw an interesting pic. It's taken from Park, looking north towards Great Western Road. It's in the 1800s some time I think, and there are only a few buildings in the Woodlands sort of area. Anyway, I believe that this wee housie is the picture, although there are other buildings beside it (presumably now demolished). Anyone who has the book care to check more carefully?

Do you mean the white-painted building backing on to The Arlington Baths building?

I was investigating the Woodlands 'Hidden House' yesterday and found 44 West End Park Street, which is a gated lane that leads in to what looks like more houses in the back court. However these back directly on to the Arlington Baths, which means they can't have any windows, other than perhaps skylights, on the one side. I don't even know if these are houses - are they part of the Baths - and of so, why have a seperate address?

I've looked up 'Glasgow's Treasure Chest' and a couple of other books, but can't find any mention. I must have a look at 'Along Gt. Western Road' tonight and dig out some more books on the area.

Meanwhile, any help/comments greatly appreciated.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Hidden House in Woodlands

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:12 pm

There's a flat for sale in this building. Curious wee house.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects