Use of copyright material

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:10 pm

Socceroo wrote:What about RCHAMS stuff? Is that allowed to be posted on HG? Anybody?

You'll need to read the terms and conditions for usage. IIRC their not as uptight as that lot over at SCRAN.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:15 pm

Cheers Pgcc. I just saw that Doonunda was using them a fair wee bit. There is some cracking photos of the Old Timber Mills on the Kelvin, which would be good on that thread and also for past present etc.

I'll check there terms and ask - maybe i'll drop them a wee e-mail to see if they are cool about it so long as wee don't take the piss.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:35 pm

I checked RCHAMS terms and conditions for posting photographs. I did not bother contacting them after i read it.

Basically it is the same terms and conditions as SCRAN in that you need permission as they do not always retain the complete rights to allow reproduction or posting under their copyright, as they do not always own the collection or images.

Indeed there is quite a hefty fee scale for using their stuff even if they own it.

So get your cash out doonunda. :wink:
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby doonunda » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:29 am

I thought you would be pleased about that socceroo
doonunda
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:44 am

doonunda wrote:I thought you would be pleased about that socceroo

No i am not pleased about that. In fact i would love it if every body was free to post SCRAN and RCHAMS material but clearly we are not. Which is disappointing.

So i really do not know what you mean.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:04 am

To be fair, we have never had any hassle with the RCHAMS folk, I'd go with the 'post away until ticked off' scenario, end o' the day, as I’ve stated before, it's our fukkin' town, our fukkin' history, ours, belonging to us, not them, free of charge, share & share alike. Christ on a cross, it could hardly do SCRAN anything other than good, with the potential recruits to it's cash conscious ranks.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:35 am

YEAH !! :x
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:27 pm

You're missing the point of the copyright, and ignoring what you ARE allowed to do.

Don't forget copyright infringement is akin to theft of someone's work, and a criminal offence

Bear in mind you are perfectly free, under the "Fair Use" clause to make a copy of any image for your own use of any of the images being discussed. You can also include that single copy in anything personal you write or prepare, or place on an intranet under certain conditions.

What you may not do is use (exploit) that copy commercially without permission or payment of a fee, or publish it on the internet, which is effectively you distributing countless copies.

Whether or not you're likely to be prosecuted depends on whether or not you make any profit, although there may be more relevant issues, as is more likely in the case raised here, where HG presumably wishes to exist in harmony with the 2 organisations referred to, and not have their legal departments forever contacting them.

I'd rather see someone that's able to do so take issue with the 2 organisations over their assertion that they have copyright over images that are clearly well over 50 or 70 years past the death of the photographer, which should mean they should be in the Public Domain, and more or less free (unless exceptional conditions apply) for anyone to use.

But, I'm fear't to challenge them

8O
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:48 pm

If I'm not mistaken these two organisations are publically funded and therefore under the influence of the Scottish Executive.

Why don't we start a campaign and contact Glasgow MSP to get support for free access and use of old photos clearly outwith copyright.

Hopefully we would be able to have some success. I read about a Family Historian who challenged the closure of census records and has managed to gain early access to the 1911 Census. This has made it possible for others to access these records only problem being the high cost for a search.

The principle is the same though. By campaigning we may be able to gain some concesions.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:21 am

Take care, I've just received a feed warning that

Forwarding an email can infringe copyright

Rest easy in that it doesn't necessarily apply to all emails, personal stuff will probably not fall into this category, but it looks as if anything that falls under the net of copyright in terms of re-use of material might:
"Emails can be protected by copyright too. Just because it's easier to forward an email than a letter does nothing to weaken that protection."

Not every letter or email will enjoy copyright protection, which is reserved for works which involve original skill or labour and which do not involve copying the work of another person. Originality in this context does not require the work to be an original or inventive thought; it only requires originality in the execution or expression of the thought. However, where existing subject matter is used by an author, independent skill must be applied to justify copyright protection for a resulting work.

Better watch out though, as that thought might only be one step or so away from someone havng a go at forum posts that re-use stuff

8O
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

cite sources

Postby Sharon » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:14 pm

A reminder for all to ALWAYS remember request permission for any images you post that are not your own, to cite your sources and provide a link back to the website it was sourced on, and not to pinch.

It all adds to the value and relevance of each post, and of course helps to protect the integrity of HG.

Thanks
S
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Use of copyright material

Postby Blueboy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:25 pm

Does copyright apply to avatars as well?
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:54 am

If one pays an archive for the use of their picture, does this remove the conditions of their copyright; that is, does it mean the person who paid for the picture can use the picture in a publication?
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:11 pm

Dugald wrote:If one pays an archive for the use of their picture, does this remove the conditions of their copyright; that is, does it mean the person who paid for the picture can use the picture in a publication?

It depends. The terms of your licence (contract) with the library should specify what you can and can't do with an image.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:19 pm

Thank you very much Alan, for your reply. I did contact the Archives and they did explain their conditions, which i might say, proved quite suitable for my needs.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects