Use of copyright material

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby glasgowken » Sat May 20, 2006 1:25 pm

What about images owned by the state funded museums, & collections, we're citizens of the country, & we pay for them, but the copyright law still applies.

For educational, non profit, & non commercial sites, using state owned copyright images, should be relaxed, or abolished.
Last edited by glasgowken on Sun May 21, 2006 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Local Hero » Sat May 20, 2006 6:57 pm

Reading the rules on the scran website I think it coud be argued that the following clauses are mutually exclusive and hence non enforcable:

"If you have a password or can login to Scran you are using the subscription service. You have these rights as long as you or your institution is licensed.

You are free to:
Use images in presentations which you will give including Powerpoint

You may not:

Distribute these resources to any unlicensed user in paper or electronic form - eg printouts, emails, web sites, CD or DVD ROMs or in electronic or paper presentations"

In terms of the first clause it does not exclude the use of an external website as the medium of presentation, in the case of Hidden Glasgow I would cite the Past Present thread as a prime example of a presentation of historical images against modern images being there to promote information and discussion rather than the distribution of any specific images to the detriment of another site.

Additionally (and I admit I may have missed it) the scran website makes no specific reference to the use of images in other works of art or adaptions of images. For example I would claim that the work involved in making a panorama from old photographic images such as we see here is sufficient to class these as a new work of art and so covered by their own copyright (see Warhol's Campbells soup can for an example of adaption) and be an example of fair use of images ostensibly in the public domain
Ah used tae be indecisive but noo ah'm nae sae sure.
Local Hero
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Mon May 29, 2006 7:57 pm

Bit of a longshot :? but does anyone know if I can ask for a photocopy of pages, in old Glasgow Corporation books, held in the Mitchell Library ?

What I mean is, going along, pointing out pages, and scanning them myself at the library, or asking one of the old dears to do it for me ?

I do know the Mitchell will photocopy small sections of modern (post 1945) OS maps for you. Maps that are still in copyright.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon May 29, 2006 8:12 pm

I thiink they might do it Gk :? last time I was up was told it could be done - I think it might be about a £1 per scan

F
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby glasgowken » Mon May 29, 2006 8:21 pm

Cool :D Was it definatly books though ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon May 29, 2006 8:33 pm

Oops :oops:
old Glasgow Review type magazines

F
Fossil
-
-

Postby glasgowken » Mon May 29, 2006 8:39 pm

It's 1960's GCT reports i'm wanting to copy, so maybe it's worth a try me asking.

Cheers Fossil.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon May 29, 2006 8:57 pm

glasgowken wrote:It's 1960's GCT reports i'm wanting to copy, so maybe it's worth a try me asking.

Cheers Fossil.

here you might be in luck with them

F
Fossil
-
-

Postby Sharon » Mon May 29, 2006 9:58 pm

I believe you can copy something like 20% of a book or publication before copyright is breached. For research purposes - ot republication of course!

They would be able to advise you of that if you called i guess.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby glasgowken » Tue May 30, 2006 10:48 pm

I got an email back from the Mitchell saying there shouldn't be any problem with getting a copy of the stuff i'm interested in :) I'm pretty chuffed with that.

I will have to wait for them to be sent to me, but that's no bother. The copies are 65p each.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:05 pm

I'm not sure if folk are aware of the George Washington Wilson archive at Aberdeen Uni http://ibase.abdn.ac.uk/aberdeenic/index.php

They have some Glasgow pictures on there, but I'm not sure the can be posted up - their copyright info is here
Last edited by Ally Doll on Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Voyageur » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:38 pm

Ally Doll wrote:I'm not sure if folk are aware of the George Washington Wilson archive at Aberdeen Uni http://ibase.abdn.ac.uk/aberdeenic/index.php

They have some Glasgow pictures on there, but I'm not sure the can be posted up - there copyright info is here

Good find. Theres some cracking photos in there.
The Voyageur
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby doonunda » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:08 pm

A bit of confusion here.

Would I be permitted to link to an image or two from the Imperial War Museum site. The images in question are mearly samples with the watermark clearly visible or would it be better if I just posted a link to the images instead?

:?
Last edited by doonunda on Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
doonunda
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AlanM » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:23 pm

doonunda wrote:A bit of confusion here.

Would I be permitted to link to an image or two from the Imperial War Museum site. The images in question are mearly samples with the watermark clearly visible or would it be better if I just posted a link to the images instead?

:?

Best just post a link, unless the Terms and Conditions of the site allow you to post images elsewhere (not very likely)
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:53 pm

What about RCHAMS stuff? Is that allowed to be posted on HG? Anybody?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects