Use of copyright material

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby glasgowken » Tue May 16, 2006 5:08 pm

A lot of the images on Scran are available from different sources.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Tue May 16, 2006 5:22 pm

Is it okay to post photos of bricks?
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue May 16, 2006 6:15 pm

marginalwalker wrote:Is it okay to post photos of bricks?

If you took the photo (or have written permission to publish it) its perfectly ok!
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue May 16, 2006 6:23 pm

You're behaving like brats.

Scran is a learning resource base and toolset with 336,500 images, movies and sounds from museums, galleries, archives and the media.

Free use: you may search everything but you will access only thumbnail images. Extra features and tools require you to log in.

Full users: log in to access large copyright cleared resources and 3,000 http://tinyurl.com/onnmalearning packs. There are tools to build, store and share your own packs as albums, worksheets, or your own mini website.

Scottish Schools: The Scottish Executive funds all Scottish Local Authority schools and teachers as full users.

SCRAN is a charity offering a valuable service which we can use thru local libraries or by taking out a subscription. We can link to photos on SCRAN's web site but we shoukld not be posting them up willy nilly. We get pissed off when others rip stuff off of HG without credit. In SCRAN'S case it's not teh credit that's the indiscrimate use of material that they've negotiated copyright on. I use SCRAN and the Virtual Mitchell. I know which is easier to use and which is properly catalogued.

Before any more vitriolic contributions are made could I suggest you visit the web site and have a read.

http://tinyurl.com/onnma

Now do you all have your TV licenses, youse young rebels?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Tue May 16, 2006 6:25 pm

To keep the beaurocrates happy, and keep in line
with copyright, no more image posting that are not
my own creation, only links. My own photography
will appear as the following from now on, to
exclusively protect the rights of fellow posters
within the HG community.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Tue May 16, 2006 7:05 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Before any more vitriolic contributions are made could I suggest you visit the web site and have a read.

http://tinyurl.com/onnma

Read it and I'm still a brat.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby job78989 » Tue May 16, 2006 8:19 pm

Most of Scrans partner agencies are publicly funded and should be greatful that sites like HG can filter this national archive down to a much wider section of society than they can.

Many HG users are on limited incomes and benefit from a totally free resource and an online community of like minded people.

Just look at the results of Fossils current survey for a few clues. Many of us can and do subscribe to a range of services. But ideally national archive materials should be accessible when ever possible. I thought we lived in a new age of social inclusion, is this not yet another aspect that needs to be considered if we are to be a socially inclusive society.

Scran offers free membership to all schools, teachers and public libraries, why not widen its free membership policy and encourage many more users of there services. This could also be an extremely useful way for the charity to increase its friends base and perhaps its ability to fund raise via this new wider membership.

John
Sometimes the people need to speak if they want to be heard.
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue May 16, 2006 9:05 pm

job78989 wrote:Most of Scrans partner agencies are publicly funded and should be greatful that sites like HG can filter this national archive down to a much wider section of society than they can.

Many HG users are on limited incomes and benefit from a totally free resource and an online community of like minded people.

Just look at the results of Fossils current survey for a few clues. Many of us can and do subscribe to a range of services. But ideally national archive materials should be accessible when ever possible. I thought we lived in a new age of social inclusion, is this not yet another aspect that needs to be considered if we are to be a socially inclusive society.

Scran offers free membership to all schools, teachers and public libraries, why not widen its free membership policy and encourage many more users of there services. This could also be an extremely useful way for the charity to increase its friends base and perhaps its ability to fund raise via this new wider membership.

John

That makes sense. I'm not a fan of voluntary taxation (e.g. the National Lottery) but I doubt anyone would object to a few grand a year, cos I'm sure that's all it'd be, being set aside to make Scran freely available to everyone.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed May 17, 2006 12:19 am

cran offers free membership to all schools, teachers and public libraries, why not widen its free membership policy and encourage many more users of there services. This could also be an extremely useful way for the charity to increase its friends base and perhaps its ability to fund raise via this new wider membership.

Free or paid subscription does not mean you can rip photos off the SCRAN web site and paste them up elsewhere on the internet.

They've paid for or negotiated the use of the pictures on their web site not on ours. If you want to look at them use their web site. If you want to link to them do so but don't copy them onto here.

Let me see, what if The News of The World used photographs from here for an exposé? how would we feel? Does anyone remember?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Wed May 17, 2006 7:44 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Let me see, what if The News of The World used photographs from here for an exposé? how would we feel? Does anyone remember?

Good point.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Wed May 17, 2006 9:07 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Let me see, what if The News of The World used photographs from here for an exposé? how would we feel? Does anyone remember?

Difference is the photographer is still alive. We're talking here about photographers who are dead 100 years! I don't think anyone in the 21st century should 'own' an image taken by someone in the 19th century. They may own the actual physical photograph in the way someone owns a painting but that's it.

"I hereby give notice that if anyone wants to use any photo I've ever put on the web 100 years after my death then please feel free to do so and if anyone tries to say they own the copyright tell them to take a walk."

Signed

Schiehallion
on behalf of the PLO (Photo Liberation Organisation).
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Wed May 17, 2006 9:42 am

Copyright is an incredibly complex law with many different time frames for rights depending on your status.

For instance the copyright in the recording of a performance lasts for 50 yrs the copyright of a writer expires 70 years after their death.

There is also a point regarding the copyright of old materials, out of copyright, being published and then becoming subject to that publisher's copyright.

SCRAN provide a large number of resources, which we can access either for free or for a small charge, this service is subject to terms and conditions and as such we should abide by them.
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Wed May 17, 2006 9:48 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Let me see, what if The News of The World used photographs from here for an exposé? how would we feel? Does anyone remember?

There is quite a difference there, as the NOTW used those pictures in an attempt to profit from them.

With the photos that people have posted that were taken from sites like SCRAN and the Virtual Mitchell there was no motive for profit.

While both are illegal, morally there is quite a difference.
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby job78989 » Wed May 17, 2006 9:59 am

I agree with Schiehallion

All of my "stuff" on this site has no copyright and may be freely used by anyone.

I recognise the point dex makes, but still feel that particularly historical data should be free to use for educational purposes and research. So long as it is not used for profit.

John
Sometimes the people need to speak if they want to be heard.
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Wed May 17, 2006 10:23 am

At least Jimmy Cauty or Bill Drummond shouldn't mind me using one their sleeve covers as an avatar. As the Kopyright Liberation Front they are hardly in a position to complain.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects