Monkland Canal prior to motorway

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Monkland Canal prior to motorway

Postby Sharon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:39 pm

*wonders where the gazoons are". Did you ever get ther?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Huggy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:47 am

Got there often on foot Sharon. The nautical expedition had to be abandoned as the towpath party sighted a band of hostiles approaching at speed from the direction of Blackhill, a precipatate undignified flight eastwards was the outcome, leaving the hostiles in posession of said raft.
The canal split, one branch went north to the locks and the other, a dead end, went to the Gazoon where barges used to be lowered down an "inclined plane" to the basin. This apparently saved time & water. It must have been a later improvement to the canal and the only one in Scotland?
Here's an English example. http://www.fipt.org.uk/lift.html
Also known as the Valley there were a couple of canal houses there, one at the bottom and one at the top, presumably for the operators and their families. The barges were hauled onto a caisson which I take it is English for Gazoon. The full one descending hauled up another with the empty barge. It was long gone when I knew it, just leaving the name and the earthworks, sadly no trace now remains.
Ah hesitate to suggest that it's "aw under the motorway noo", in case somebody comes doon on me like a ton of bricks.
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:22 pm

Excellent link Huggy. According to descriptions of the Blackhill inclined plane it would have been very similar to this.

in case somebody comes doon on me like a ton of bricks.

Don't bother its all constructive :D

edit:

Good plan of the plane and the locks on this OS

http://maps.nls.uk/os/25inch-2nd-and-later/view/?jp2=82891734
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:35 pm

You beat me to it Icecube

Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:31 pm

A photo from the top of the plane

HERE

and

from the north

HERE
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:51 pm

I take it that's Riddrie School at the top of the hill in the second photo Icecube?
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Big red sandstone building, a landmark, I think that was it, yes Steve.

Looking at the RAF post war photo and present day google it would appear that part of the course of the inclined plane hasn't been built on. In particular at the end of Nith Street.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:28 pm

I think you might be correct but I'm not 100% sure. There's a possibility that the 'newer' houses at the far end of Nith Street might just encroach onto the line of the incline. One of the scanned drawings I've got shows the line of the carrigeway and slip roads in relation to the incline but it's from January 1970 and so the newer houses aren't on it.

I'm having problems with my broadband connection at the moment (I'm with Sky and it's murderously slow, even more so in recent weeks - around 0.4Mb/s for downloads and 0.1 Mb/s for uploads) so I can't post any large images. I'm switching to Virgin on Wednesday though, so I'll post some of the drawings after that.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:34 pm

Aye its difficult to be sure but your twin pipes pass along that bit do they not?

Virgin - never a problem with it.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:07 pm

Yeah, the twin pipes do pass along that bit of land. I don't have a drawing that shows both the line of the pipes and the position of the incline though and I'm not sure if the pipes ran to the south or north of the incline (I'm guessing they might have ran right along the line of the incline actually).
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Huggy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:37 pm

That's superb guys, Blackhill Cottage was in quite good nick as I recall, the ditch running NW from there was dry but had been fed by a wee tunnel about three feet high, presumably some kind of overflow from the canal above?
Never knew there was a pit at Lethamhill beside Cumbernauld Road, you can still see the Dolerite there, and again behind the golf clubhouse, where the icehouse is on the map. Walker of Lethamhill raised the loch level further and cut ice for sale in town. I believe Blackhill House was owned by a Martin, needle manufacturer. Smithcroft Cottage was Farquharson's shop, two or three steps up into it. The house across the road bottled and sold bleach. Every summer a weedcutting boat appeared, don't remember any traffic though. Riddrie School it is, mostly brick with classrooms opening onto an open verandah.
Halcyon Days, ah can still smell the canal.
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Huggy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:58 pm

Guys, anything known about Wattery Wullie's pub in Townmill Road? Dennistoun. When the canal was drained at this point it was found to be paved with pint measures. I think after Wattery's time, and before it was demolished, Jock Stein had some connection with it.
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:05 am

Huggy wrote:Guys, anything known about Wattery Wullie's pub in Townmill Road? Dennistoun. When the canal was drained at this point it was found to be paved with pint measures. I think after Wattery's time, and before it was demolished, Jock Stein had some connection with it.

Id be surprised if Jock Stein had any connection, the great man was a strict tee-totaller and did not approve of the problems the role of drink played in society
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:27 pm

Bankend Street, disused canal and canal pipeline [see large version for detail]

Bankend Street, motorway and canal pipeline [see large version for detail]
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Huggy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks for this Steve, anybody remember the bookies by the canal at the Sugarolly Mountains, he had a corrugated iron howff dug into the hill with the sawn-off end of a railway wagon for use when it rained. A lookout was kept on top of the mountain in case of threatened polis activity. The bookie was, I believe, an Eddie McCormack from Oatlands. This institution came to an end when bookies became legal around 1960, he may have opened somewhere in Dennistoun. Eddie apparently fought in the Spanish Civil War, his brother was convenor of shop stewards at Rolls Royce, Hillington.
Some info on Wattery Wullie's, http://www.roystonroadproject.org/archi ... oyston.htm
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects