Kelvingrove bandstand

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby TommyDGNR8 » Sat May 06, 2006 6:14 pm

I remember the Clyde festivals well(ish).

In 83 or 84 the headline act was Chasar (a rush-inspired band who later got a record deal - their vinyl is quite collectable) and the bill also contained Glasgow (melodic rock band named after their home town because "it was alright for Boston and Chicago"), H2O (very poor pop group who had a single hit with "Hollywood Dream") and the mighty Dolphins (fronted by Campbell Forbes, the most under-rated singer-songwriter to ever come out of Glasgow, IMHO).

The day was hosted by Tom Russell and it was the first time most of us had seen him. Needless to say, every quiet second was filled with "baldy" chants...

By the following year, The 'Phins had split and Campbell started calling himself "David". I think he headlined with Glasgow second on the bill and Coatbridge's Zero Zero (classy melodic rock - very much in the Heavy Pettin' mould) third. One of the early acts that day was Woza - Ricky Ross' band pre-Deacon Blue.

Around the same time, The Dolphins/David Forbes played some midnight shows at the bandstand. Good days for Glasgow rock.

A few pics...

Zero Zero onstage

The Dolphins doing a night show

Campbell (David) Forbes - Dolphins' singer onstage (I think this was in Easterhouse, though)

TommyDGNR8
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun May 07, 2006 12:23 am

n 83 or 84 the headline act was Chasar (a rush-inspired band who later got a record deal - their vinyl is quite collectable) and the bill also contained Glasgow (melodic rock band named after their home town because "it was alright for Boston and Chicago"), H2O (very poor pop group who had a single hit with "Hollywood Dream") and the mighty Dolphins (fronted by Campbell Forbes, the most under-rated singer-songwriter to ever come out of Glasgow, IMHO).

There was a Japan only CD of Glasgow material which is sought after.

Hollywood Dream was not a hit single but I dream to sleep was.

George of The Dolphins now works in Jewsons but was in the last version of Ian Donaldson's H2O to tour.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Sun May 07, 2006 7:01 am

Brian May produced Heavy Pettin's first album you know im a borin old queen fan, thats how I know, but what a name to help out eh!!

expecting loads of dodgy hair jokes...
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby TommyDGNR8 » Mon May 08, 2006 6:12 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Hollywood Dream was not a hit single but I dream to sleep was.

Ah! Thanks for that Dexter! Hollywood Dream was the only song I remembered them playing, so I wonder if Dream To Sleep came after their Kelvingrove appearance?

<Quick Google>

It charted in May '83.

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
There was a Japan only CD of Glasgow material which is sought after.

A remaster of their vinyl album "Zero Four One", I believe. I've got a copy which'll probably end up on eBay sometime. It's very eighties!

Dexter St. Clair wrote:George of The Dolphins now works in Jewsons

Woo! Rock'n'roll! I wonder what happened to Campbell? Some fantastic songs which really should have got the 'Phins a deal; Stay, Paradise Lost ("Does anyone here stay in Milton? Figure that one out..."), Just Slow Down, Tonight, Leaving...

I wonder if I've still got my recording off the radio?

DickyHart wrote:
expecting loads of dodgy hair jokes...

Sniff! I used to have hair...
TommyDGNR8
First Stripe
First Stripe

The Dolphins

Postby tomsk » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:50 am

If you want to know more about Campbell Forbes or The Dolphins check out a website called Glasband 80 the site features some of the best local bands from the late 70, to the mid 80s, the web address is http://www.glasband80.co.uk
tomsk
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:38 am

thanks for that Tomsk. Siome gaps but a great start. I've got very little memorabilia from that time but if I find anything I'll punt it to them. I do have an Abel Ganz Cassette.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:19 am

Good to see the postings about the Radio Clyde sponsored mini-festivals, but does anyone remember when it first started in pre-Radio Clyde days? I went to the free festivals in years 1971-72, and remember seeing the likes of Eric Cuthbertson, Up, and Northwind (the original Northwind). I took some photos but they're long gone, and frustratingly I can't find the negs.
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:10 pm

I seem to remember Jon Bon Jovi making an appearance at one of the Kelvingrove festivals ('84 ?) he wasnt actually performing just doing a PA
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

dolphins

Postby tomsk » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:53 pm

Where else on the web can you get information about local Glasgow bands from the 80s? GB80 has interviews with the band members from this period it has Photos, videos, music and line ups from each band....The Glasgow band H2O made it onto "Top of the Pops" in 1983 yet there is nothing on the web about the band, Glasband 80 is out to inform and show people how good bands where because there is nothing else out there on this period in Glasgow, the site is only 4 months old and it WILL get bigger....http://www.glasband80.co.uk is OUT NOW!! check it out!...javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy
tomsk
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Glasband 80

Postby tomsk » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:46 pm

Henry Gorman, The Dophins, H2O, Scheme, Cammy Forbes, Chasar, Dodger, ZeroZero, The Khyber Trifles, Shoot The Moon, .....any of these bands ring a bell?........check out Glasband 80
http://www.glasband80.co.uk[/url]
tomsk
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby peter » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:08 pm

This seemed to go off topic a wee bit but hey wid it no be great to have live music in the parks. Knock the thing down and have something more up to date music tech wise.
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:39 pm

Recent pics from last week

The entrance gates with box offices (boarded up doors kicked in of course)

The building itself

Wide shot showing the seating remnants

The public toilets are still open to the public and appear to be used alot by taxi drivers
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Kelvingrove bandstand

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:23 pm

Another Kelvingrove clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LapZciBfs6w

The Imprints 1982
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:47 pm

The bandstand in its heyday.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:03 pm

That's got to be the Queens Park one, hasn't it? It's in an even worse state that Kelvingrove... :wink:

(or gone to a better place)
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects