The Carrick/City of Adelaide

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The Carrick/City of Adelaide

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:56 am

I wonder... if we started referring to neds as "wurzels", would my erstwhile friends come and take them away? ;)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:36 am

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:32 pm

Great news!

Just a shame she might be so far away, but I'd rather that than her be dismantled....might even make it my business to pay a visit one day....here's hoping!
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Tue May 04, 2010 3:24 pm

HISTORIC SCOTLAND APPOINTS DTZ TO UNDERTAKE OPTIONS APPRAISAL FOR CARRICK
28 April 2010
Culture Minister Fiona Hyslop today, 28th April 2010, announced that Historic Scotland has commissioned DTZ to undertake the Options Appraisal for the SV Carrick.

The SV Carrick, also known as the City of Adelaide, is an A-listed ship berthed in Irvine.

DTZ has extensive experience of assessing proposals, and has worked with Historic Scotland in the past on a range of projects. They have been appointed to provide an appraisal of current options for the ship, including its possible relocation to Sunderland or South Australia.

The Minister said: “The appointment of DTZ to carry out this review is a very positive step and will help us to determine the best outcome for the SV Carrick. There are several options to consider: whether the Carrick is moved to Sunderland, Adelaide in Australia or retained in a different location in Scotland. The alternative is a managed deconstruction of the vessel.

“Officials from Historic Scotland and the Scottish Government have held a wide range of discussions with a number of bodies and individuals regarding this category A listed ship.

“These have included the Scottish Maritime Museum, National Historic Ships Advisory Committee, (the UK wide body with a remit for historic vessels), North Ayrshire Council, the Heritage Lottery Fund, groups from Sunderland, (SCARF) and from Australia, (The Clipper Ship, City of Adelaide Ltd) and the UK Government’s Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

“I am pleased to see that we are making progress towards reaching a fully informed and open decision on the best solution for the ship.“

DTZ has appointed Sir Neil Cossons, the former Director of the Maritime Museum in Greenwich and a former Chair of English Heritage, to provide technical expertise for the project based on his extensive experience, particularly in the realm of maritime heritage.

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/new ... leid=27928
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:28 pm

Blow to bid to bring 1864 ship home to Sunderland

Campaigners fighting to bring the world's oldest passenger ship back to the city where it was built have suffered a blow.

The City of Adelaide was built in Sunderland in 1864 and has lain on a Scottish slipway for 10 years.
Scottish Culture Minister Fiona Hyslop has now named a group from Adelaide, Australia, as the preferred bidder.
Campaigners from Sunderland said they would fight on to bring the ship back to the North East.

Ms Hyslop said: "The City of Adelaide has an illustrious past shared by two nations, Scotland and Australia.
"This bid gives us the opportunity to save the ship, build on that link and open up the potential for both countries to recognise partnerships and shared heritage on an international scale."

'Heartbreaking'
A report looking at options for the vessel was commissioned by Historic Scotland.

They were to deconstruct it for recording and display, relocation in Scotland and the bids from Sunderland and Adelaide.

Ms Hyslop said she was impressed and inspired by the commitment by the Australian and Sunderland bids.
Peter Maddison, chairman of Sunderland City of Adelaide Recovery Fund (Scarf), has been involved in the campaign to bring the ship back for 12 years.

He congratulated the Australian team but said they would not give up their campaign.

He said: "We will challenge the decision. We will continue to fight for the ship."

He said the decision was "heartbreaking" for many people in Sunderland.

He said they were planning to talk to another North East council about bringing the ship to the region. "As long as she is on the island, there's hope that she will be recovered, perhaps not for Sunderland, but for the North East," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wear-11120374
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:25 pm

yoker brian wrote: ..................
Ms Hyslop said she was impressed and inspired by the commitment by the Australian and Sunderland bids.

Fiona Hyslop is very easily impressed and inspired. Sadly she is also impotent and impoverished.

It's hard to imagine anyone being worse in the Culture etc brief than Linda Fabiani but Hyslop has managed it.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:02 am

One step closer to heading off:
the Beeb wrote:The parts for a giant steel cradle have arrived in Irvine, North Ayrshire, so it can be transported to Adelaide.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-17146527
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Huggy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:44 am

Re' Culture Minister, in times of recession with unemployment figures as bad as now, people, sadly, tend to be more concerned with getting bread on the table than saving old ships.
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:03 am

Huggy wrote:Re' Culture Minister, in times of recession with unemployment figures as bad as now, people, sadly, tend to be more concerned with getting bread on the table than saving old ships.

Whilst I'd argue there's room for a bit of both, it appears Ms Hyslop and her chums at Holyrood are doing neither.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:47 pm

Negative scanning today, found this, shows her in better days.

SS Carrick abt 1987 by guachglw, on Flickr
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:06 am

Guacho wrote:Negative scanning today, found this, shows her in better days.

SS Carrick abt 1987 by guachglw, on Flickr

Good picture, much as I remember her in her better days.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bruno » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Just found this stuff. The Carrick when moored on Clyde Street was used as a club; I often went in. It had a connection with the legal world particularly. The story I got when young was that the project of bringing it there was the brain child of Lawrence Dowdall, late and loved lawyer of the parish. He had served, the story went, in the RNVR during the war, and wanted to bring the ship up to form a club for the less stuffy set. The other clubs then were like tombstones, and a lot of unsettled and disrepecful young men were coming home from the war who were not minded to put up with that. It served good lunches, and was handy for the High Court in Saltmarket. A lot of the advocates and solicitors used it, during lunch and for a few after court. It was fitted out not so much as a gentleman's club as an officers mess of the period, although of course these two things met a bit in the middle. It swayed a little with the water, leaving you to wonder if you had had one too many.It was viable up to the late seventies, when things began to change. The post Thatcher effect on professional life meant that lunch as we had known it was no more; in the 60's and 70's many offices allowed one and half hours for lunch so that people could go home and back. The modernisation spelled the end for the Carrick as a club. The Glasgow Bar Association used to hold its AGMs and meetings there. The Sheriff Court was still up in Wilson St, and the area round about the ship was not that great at the time. Where the Sheriff Court now is was crumbly Gorbals, waiting for its end. Decay and dereliction was all around; it was not that safe. At one of the GBA meetings, an angry one, the late Harry Flowers stomped off in high dudgeon; all 18 stones of him. The report of the meeting recorded this, and his angry exit, which " ....caused the Carrick to sway from side to side. " Good times. A good club. Good fun.
Bruno
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:32 pm

Bruno wrote:.............the brain child of Lawrence Dowdall, late and loved lawyer of the parish. ...........

Completely off topic so I apologise. I was in the offices of Hughes Dowdall a couple of weeks back and noticed there's a cracking Coia sketch of Lawrence Dowdall just inside the front door.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby edward carolan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:02 pm

Any chance of a picture?
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:14 pm

I doubt it, but you could probably make an excuse and drop into the office (above the Drum and Monkey) and catch a swatch.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects