Pollok, Househill and Hurlet

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Pollok, Househill and Hurlet

Postby Bombardier » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:44 pm

Hi Alex, thanks for the photographs of the Church,but the one that I was referring to was further down Peat Rd, opposite Brock Rd, it may be demolished now - I think that it became a Bingo Hall for a time. I haven't been back to Glasgow for about 22 years so it could be anything by now!! The House/Bungalow was it the Park just as you crossed the bridge (in your photographs), on the left hand side at the bottom of the incline. I well remember playing in "The Valley", I believe that during the war American Troops were stationed there on the run up to D Day and somehow the name came from their occupation. Prior to the Police Station being built in Crookstone Rd,there was a couple of wooden huts which had been built as some form of Recreational Centre for the Troops. After the war they were used by the Factor and,I think, a Health Centre and a Library. Changing direction slightly, situated not far from Darnley Fire Station on the road to the Darnley Estate was an Anti Aircraft Detachment of the Royal Artillery, this too was demolished in the early/mid 50's, can anyone shed any light on this, being an Ex Gunner this would be of interest?
Bombardier
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:02 pm

Wow Bombardier

Fantastic recollection of the area much of which is long gone. It would be great to see some of the things you refer to. I didn't know that St Robert's Church was located further down although there is the Church Hall at Hartstone Road. I will get a photo and post it up within the next couple of days. There is a photo that I have seen somewhere of the old huts you mention. On here Job posted up a photo of Darnley Fire Station, taken from the East Renfreshire Archive.

I knew about the Anti Aircraft Detachment which is now Parkhouse Estate. There is no evidence left of the AAD but I believe it was a subject that was looked at as part of a heritage research programme for the Dams to Darnley Country Park. If I see anything relating to this I will post it up for you.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby curly sue » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:52 am

I have stayed in Pollok for many years, my fondest memories were all centred around The Househill (BIG)park, which is situated on the Harstone road, I recently read comments about the park and the (HUT) and it was mentioned to be a wooden hut that the parkie used to go for a cuppa tea and store the swings, yes the parkie did actualy stored the swings in the toilets at the rear of the hut, the hut itself was not wooden but concrete sections bolted together and the texture of the outer walls resembled painted woodchip, it had a corrigated roof, at that time the park was alive, Mrs L (Lafferty) was the woman who ran the hut and gave her time volluntary, (a guy named roddy used to help out too,cant remember his surname) Mrs L used to organise many things in and around that area to keep the kids occupied for almost 365 days a year, taught the girls how to bake, introduced her family to all who attended the hut, in the summer we had our summer games, table tennis, football and of course the whole community took part in the gala event and helped dressing the floats for the kids to go on and parade round the neighbouring streets, we went on day trips to the sea side and during the summer holidays we would go on a few weeks holiday to the country, we had discos, the hut was used every day, the Park although recently refurbished is a now a complete mess, the council have taken away the swings, chutes, monkey bars, roundabout, sand pit, and the famous spiders web it is a shadow of its former glory, they have built a basketball/football court and small shelter on the foundation of the HUT and football PITCH, it is rarely used by the youth, and can never be used by the kids as there is nothing for them to play on, that is the real crime in the area.I personally would like to thank Mrs L for a great childhood and for such lovely memories.
curly sue
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby curly sue » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:03 am

Bombardier wrote:Hi Alex, thanks for the photographs of the Church,but the one that I was referring to was further down Peat Rd, opposite Brock Rd, it may be demolished now - I think that it became a Bingo Hall for a time. I haven't been back to Glasgow for about 22 years so it could be anything by now!! The House/Bungalow was it the Park just as you crossed the bridge (in your photographs), on the left hand side at the bottom of the incline. I well remember playing in "The Valley", I believe that during the war American Troops were stationed there on the run up to D Day and somehow the name came from their occupation. Prior to the Police Station being built in Crookstone Rd,there was a couple of wooden huts which had been built as some form of Recreational Centre for the Troops. After the war they were used by the Factor and,I think, a Health Centre and a Library. Changing direction slightly, situated not far from Darnley Fire Station on the road to the Darnley Estate was an Anti Aircraft Detachment of the Royal Artillery, this too was demolished in the early/mid 50's, can anyone shed any light on this, being an Ex Gunner this would be of interest?
yes you are quite right bombardier St Roberts Church "Hall" which you were referring to, is still situated on Peat Road across from the old doctors house on the corner of Brock Road and it is still in use today, however as Alex has mentioned there is not much else in the area, the Community Centre on Househillwood Road is long gone now and nothing has been put there to replace it.
curly sue
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:26 pm

Hi Curly Sue

Welcome to Hidden Glasgow.

Thanks for your recollections of the area and the valuable information on areas previously discussed. From your comments it sounds like you still live in the area. Do you have any old photos? I know that there is a severe lack of old photos of the area and it would be good to see some particularly of Househill Park.

Look forward to hearing more of your recollections.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby curly sue » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:20 pm

Hi Alex

Thanks for your kind words, although my work means that I have to travel around the country a lot, I will always regard Househill as my home and will always be guided back like the homing pigeon I am.
So much has happened to the area over the years, which has dramaticly changed the idealistic place we all knew and loved, so I have decided to schedule some of my spare time and I am in the process of taking transcripts and drawing illistration.
Hopefully I can capture the true image and memories in script, that makes Househill the remarkable place we love.

Once I have complied some illistrations I shall of course post a few for you to view.

Curly sue
curly sue
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:40 pm

That sounds like a fantastic idea curly sue.

Will look forward to seeing your illustrations. I am sure your illustrations together with all your memories would make a very good book.

I was thinking that the comments on here should be gathered together with the permission of those who have contributed. In recent weeks the input from some of the newer members has been very illuminating and it would be a shame to loose those recollections. There are few photos of the area so it would be good to hold onto peoples reminiscences of the area.

I know that the area has changed a couple of times over the last few decades. I know that some of the changes won't be to the liking of those who have fond memories of the area. I have tried to chart some of the changes through my photos so that others can see what has been done if they have not visited this area for sometime, if at all.

I have collected a few photos of the houses from about 20 years ago and was hoping to do a project on the changes that have taken place but the availability of time to concentrate on such a project just hasn't happened for me. May be one day I will get round to it.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PEBBLES » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:48 pm

Hi Curly sue

Wot great memories you have , my kids also played in that park for years, wot great stories they could tell, they had a fantastic time .
They used to attend the hut as it was called, and the lady [mrs lafferty ] was fantastic she taught the kids how to bake and make macaroon bars .
The pitch was used everyday and the summer holidays were a great , we could do shopping whilst the kids played as they were in safe hands .
Even when teatime came it was a fight to get them in.however they would come in scoff there food and back out .
I remember asking why are they always in a hurry ,they replied they were having fun ,and didnt want to miss anything .
So i treasure all the all ther little memories and there wee faces .great stuff enjoyed reading .

Thankyou
PEBBLES
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby PEBBLES » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi Alex

Sorry for the delay in replying i wasnt too great but feeling good at the moment ,Thanks for the information on the park
I will look and ask some the family to see if there are any pictures available ,
Just reading some of the post put in, they are great, it was wonderful place to live and reading all the memories other have posted Just brings it all back to you

Thankyou
PEBBLES
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby curly sue » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:27 pm

Hi Alex

Sorry I haven't been able to post those illistrations yet, I am new to all this and still finding my way, :? my illistrations are in a file in my document folder and am not sure how to get them posted, perhaps you can offer me a little advice.

By the way, while looking through my illistrations the other day I found myself reminissing (as you do) about the "big" park, and all of a sudden two names popped into my head one was Ronnie Cullen, he used to play guitar in the "hut" the other was Tam Ferguson they were both volunteers, (Just thought I would give them a wee mention for all the hard work they did for the Househill community at that time.)

anyway any assistance you can offer would be much appreciated.

Curly Sue
curly sue
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:46 pm

Sent you a Private Message Curly Sue.

Hope the instructions help.

If you are in doubt check out http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1832 this topic
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby curly sue » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:41 pm

Hi Alex

Sent you a private message dont know how it has turned out, please let me know

thanks
Curly Sue
curly sue
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:53 pm

I know this may sound a bit bazaar to others but I got the message Curly and it worked great.

Hopefully your drawings can soon be seen by others here who I am sure will appreciate them.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby curly sue » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:05 am

Here are a few illistrations of the Househill area hope they turn out alright, it would be great to see some actual photographs of the area present or past, if anyone has any could you please share them with us all.

This is Househill playpark "HUT", What an amazing time was spent there by all

Here is the largest and most unusual chain tree which used to stand in Househill playpark near to the stone bridge entrance, Sadly this tree is no longer there, also notice the stone boat and sandpit.
Last edited by curly sue on Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
curly sue
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:47 pm

Curly sue it's
[img]followed%20by[/img]

you forgot the slash /
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects